Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 8/21/2019 at 11:00 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m currently watching Escape at Dannemora on Showtime.  I know I’m late to the party on this one, but what a great show.  The story itself is great, but the show itself is so well done.  

I thought it was really well done.  No clue where they came up with those accents, though.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:00 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m currently watching Escape at Dannemora on Showtime.  I know I’m late to the party on this one, but what a great show.  The story itself is great, but the show itself is so well done.  

I have not heard of that show so I just looked it up.  It looks immediately intriguing to me, but I don't have Showtime.

Is this available any other way?  Anyone know?

PS:  Johnny, did you ever get back into "Euphoria" on HBO?  

13 minutes ago, stony said:

I thought it was really well done.  No clue where they came up with those accents, though.

I was saying the other night how I thought their accents sounded more Wisconsin/Minnesota/N-S Dakota.  Especially Tilly and her husband.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have not heard of that show so I just looked it up.  It looks immediately intriguing to me, but I don't have Showtime.

Is this available any other way?  Anyone know?

PS:  Johnny, did you ever get back into "Euphoria" on HBO?  

We watch it on the Showtime app.  “Borrowed” my BIL’s user and password and we’re watching it on the Firestick.

Nope, haven’t picked Euphoria yet.  Watched the first two episodes and stopped, but the plan is to watch the rest.  Have to finish Dannemora and watch Mindhunter first.

• Like (+1) 1

The Widow on Amazon Prime is pretty good.  Interesting setting in the DRC.  Kate Beckinsale's still hot.

I know The Boys will be good.  Planning on watching that soon.  Don't think my wife will like that so watching it on my own.

Couple episodes into the last season of Jessica Jones.  Decent.

Definitely want to get into Mindhunter.  Trying to get the wife to watch it with me.  We both loved Criminal Minds... any similarities?  I know the pacing is slower, but just curious.

My father in law said he's a couple seasons into The Expanse and he really likes that.  Anyone watch it?

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Definitely want to get into Mindhunter.  Trying to get the wife to watch it with me.  We both loved Criminal Minds... any similarities?  I know the pacing is slower, but just curious.

It's pretty good I think it's definitely got plenty of stuff similar to criminal minds since it's essentially the origins of the unit that show was based on. But it's not villain of the week like Criminal minds more about telling it's own continuous story with cases across multiple episodes.

26 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My father in law said he's a couple seasons into The Expanse and he really likes that.  Anyone watch it?

It's really good a very gritty seemingly realistic scifi show.

Edited by Warcodered

2 hours ago, stony said:

That’s how extreme north country people talk. Extreme north country. That part of NYS is so f’n desolate it’s like a different country. 

Also if you YouTube some interviews of Tilly and her husband, the accents in the show were pretty well done. 

Used to be part of my sales territory way back in the 90s and they nailed it as far as portraying the locals up there. 

Edited by Tierlifer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

That’s how extreme north country people talk. Extreme north country. That part of NYS is so f’n desolate it’s like a different country. 

Also if you YouTube some interviews of Tilly and her husband, the accents in the show were pretty well done. 

Used to be part of my sales territory way back in the 90s and they nailed it as far as portraying the locals up there. 

That's weird.  I went to school up there and even worked part-time for a local MHP operator.  I never heard the accent anywhere close to that.  

As you say, it must be 'extreme.'  I remember Tilly saying her family was X'th generation.  

Edited by stony

On August 20, 2019 at 3:12 PM, ricojes said:

Episode 2 was really good. 

I'll put the following in spoiler section, even though it's not.

Hide contents

"I am always careful to close all the doors"...house back door open...

:unsure:

Season 2 was good but why did Wayne Williams talk like Tim Meadows' ladies man?

Why in the world would they cast Carl Weathers in this movie? 

It immediately jumps out at the viewer with an "Oh my God, that's Carl Weathers from Rocky!" moment, which totally destroys the illusion of believablity about the story.

That is why type cast actors don't get work, and why good directors don't like to use super well known actors.

One thing that has been remarkably consistent through all of the Star Wars movies--all of them--is terrible casting.

Having said that, the "look" of this film and the atmosphere created in the trailer is fantastic.

Clearly ripping off a classic American western motif here, but seeing as it focuses on a  bounty hunter, why not?

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I recommend The Righteous Gemstones on HBO.  It’s a silly, Danny McBride, type comedy.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 episodes.  Similar to Vice Principals, but better IMO.

My friend recommended this show to me as well.  Thinks it's the funniest show on tv.