Why I wouldn't want Cousins in Buffalo

essential

It’s been speculated on this board and some places in the national media that Kirk Cousins is a possible target of the Bills or that Buffalo is one of the possible destinations for Cousins.  I don't hate Cousins, I think he's an above average QB but I don't think he's worth the money he's going to command and I hope we don't get him.  Money absolutely should be a factor when discussing Cousins.  He's going to get franchise limiting money while he's not a franchise carrying QB.  He's not Rodgers, he can't carry us, and for the money he's going to get, it's going to limit us in other areas and he's not going to be able to make up that difference.  I'd rather draft my QB.  I'd take Cousins for the right price, but his market will be above that.

It hasn’t been hard to articulate my point but today on the Dan Le Batard show (Clinton Yates was filling in) he had on Cian Fahey who said a lot what I feel on Cousins, but it always carries more credibility coming from someone like Cian.  Some of this quote also relates to Tyrod, and while I think Cousins can do some things better than Tyrod, and Tyrod can obviously do some things better than Cousins, but when Cian comments on check downs, situational awareness and elevating others I think it applies to both and it’s a large part of the reason I don’t want Tyrod back.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/9941853

12/22/17 Hour 2

Clinton Yates:
“The Kirk Cousins situation, I am banging my head against the microphone right now as I am a fan of the Washington football team, what do you make of this in terms of, I mean just where he can go, what you think is going to happen based on what he’s done this season?”

Cian Fahey
“I actually think he might have had his best season in the league, and I, but again, like what is that saying? I don’t think it’s saying a huge amount.  Obviously, he’s had big numbers in the past.  I always feel like he’s a guy who is going to take the 6 yards that are definite instead of taking the like 20 yard throw, or aggressive throw, that will actually help you win the game.  See, this is the thing you kinda need to dive really deep into.  We tend to, in the NFL, say that if a guy doesn’t throw interceptions he makes good decisions, but I always find the situational awareness, the situational understanding, of what your team needs at a specific time to try and win the game.  I always find that to be a better determination of how good you are at making decisions and I’m still very much concerned, that’s my biggest concern with Cousins, like I think he’s a guy who would happily check down on 3rd and long, who’ll happily check down on even 2nd and intermediate or medium whatever you want to call it, and I don’t think that helps you win games, I don’t think he elevates anyone around him, I don’t think he sets you up for success, and especially not when you’re ganna have to pay him $25 or $30 million a year, whatever it is.”

Also, this was from prior to this season and others media members on the same page feel Cousins is a franchise QB, but I think this is the Cousins we’d be getting for $25+ million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000808843/article/kirk-cousins-franchise-qb-opinions-vary-on-washington-redskins-starter

Bucky Brooks

Does Cousins elevate those around him like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady?

So much of Kirk Cousins' success is dependent on his supporting cast, so I would say he's not a franchise quarterback. He's had the opportunity to play with one of the best receiving corps -- with DeSean Jackson, Jordan Reed and Pierre Garcon -- and a talented offensive line. Also, the last two years, he was playing in a system that was tailor-made to his game. With the departure of Jackson and Garcon, we get a chance to see if Cousins is good enough to carry a team. Franchise QBs are expected to raise the level of play of their teammates. Can that happen in 2017? I'm skeptical.

Will he be a franchise quarterback in the future? I don't think he will be. I don't see him as a $30 million quarterback.

Edited by essential
spacing
  • Like (+1) 1

I would be fine if the Bills pulled the trigger and signed him as a top tier QB.  The Redskins offense had to deal with a lot of injuries this year and the o-line has been bad, but Kirk is still putting up good numbers.  He's an above average starting quarterback which the Bills haven't had since Drew Bledsoe.  He's not elite (you sometimes have to overpay in Buffalo to attract free agents), but you're always rolling the dice drafting a rookie QB as our 2004 and 2013 first round picks have proven.  He's good enough to win a Super Bowl if you have a stout defense, a good o-line, and some weapons in the passing game (I can't say the same about Tyrod).  Having all these picks this upcoming draft would be a good start.  I think Washington signs him long term though.

7 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Hes probably the best free agent qb to hit the market since brees and manning but ya lets pass because we would actually have to pay him. Not paying qbs and building the rest of our team hasnt exactly worked so far. 

Cousins is actually a much more attractive F/A than Manning was.  Manning was 36 and had huge medical question marks.  Cousins is only 29, has never really been hurt and has put up borderline elite numbers the past 3 years.  

He’s also more attractivethan Brees was when he was a FA.  Brees also had medical issues, and he had not accomplished that much on the field, either.   

So we can probably say that Cousins is the top FA qb ever to hit the market.  Which is why he’s going to get even richer.

• Like (+1) 3

I'll take him if they can get him.  Absolutely.   The one position you have to have a quality guy in.   Jones and Benjamin will be beasts in this league, IMO.   Use the draft picks to put more pieces around him.  Would be the best possible result, rather than betting on the 4th or 5th Qb coming out.  

• Like (+1) 1

No worries... If Cousins becomes a free-agent he will select the team.  Regardless, of where he goes he'll get paid.  It wouldn't be like Buffalo would offer him millions more.  So if your Cousins your going to select a team based on things like... defense, offensive line, weather, caliber of team (now and near future).  He won't select Buffalo. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloDave55 said:

No worries... If Cousins becomes a free-agent he will select the team.  Regardless, of where he goes he'll get paid.  It wouldn't be like Buffalo would offer him millions more.  So if your Cousins your going to select a team based on things like... defense, offensive line, weather, caliber of team (now and near future).  He won't select Buffalo. 

Excellent! This would mean we dodge this bullet. NO   MORE   RETREADS

3 hours ago, mannc said:

He’s not as good as Brady or Rogers, therefore, we need to look elsewhere.  Have I got that right?

That's correct. We should be aiming for all time great HOFers only and if not we should just middle around next year with the great white hope 5th round pick while convincing ourselves maybe he, against all odds, is the next Brady 

I have watched him play a number of times and would be thrilled if he was our QB.  Our passing offense would instantly become a threat, which would benefit our running offense, etc.  he makes difficult throws, pushes the ball down field, and overall is one of the better QBs in the league.  He has been franchised multiple years and now is going to get a big contract for a reason.

lastly, the Rodgers comparisons are ridiculous... at this stage of his career Rodgers hadn’t even played a game yet.  Cousins is still on the upward arc of his career and won’t hit his prime for another few years.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't want Cousins because I want to set a playoff drought that will never be matched.

That and I hate bringing on proven talent when you can roll the dice on a rookie who might be good.

And not having followed his team or career all that closely, I can tell you with great confidence that his consistently elite stats are an aberration, and his team's failure to make the playoffs this year is mostly his fault.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, mannc said:

He’s not as good as Brady or Rogers, therefore, we need to look elsewhere.  Have I got that right?

What I got from the OP is that Cousins will ask for  money in the range of the elite QB’s. Cousins isn’t in the same league as Brady or Rogers, we all can agree on that. The issue is teams can’t then go spend money on other talent. Paying elite QB money to a good/average QB sets your franchise back. I agree with what he says. Cousins is average to good. Paying Cousins 25-30 million a year isn’t something I want or foresee in Buffalo. The market will correct itself, this year could speed that up if teams didn’t bid for Cousins services above what he is. 

18 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I don't want Cousins because I want to set a playoff drought that will never be matched.

That and I hate bringing on proven talent when you can roll the dice on a rookie who might be good.

And not having followed his team or career all that closely, I can tell you with great confidence that his consistently elite stats are an aberration, and his team's failure to make the playoffs this year is mostly his fault.

Haha we disagree often but when you're right, You're Right!  :beer:

Add in that, only QB like Brees, Rodgers, and Brady get paid "elite QB money".  There are no QB named Stafford, Carr, Luck, Flacco, Wilson, Palmer, or E. Manning who get paid that kind of dough.  (PS we wish we could sign Cousins for Brady money)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Cousins is actually a much more attractive F/A than Manning was.  Manning was 36 and had huge medical question marks.  Cousins is only 29, has never really been hurt and has put up borderline elite numbers the past 3 years.  

He’s also more attractivethan Brees was when he was a FA.  Brees also had medical issues, and he had not accomplished that much on the field, either.   

So we can probably say that Cousins is the top FA qb ever to hit the market.  Which is why he’s going to get even richer.

For values of "not accomplished that much on the field either" that included back-to-back seasons with high AY/A, mid-60s completion percentage, and >2 doz TDs.

I'd take that value of "not accomplished that much" and most Bills fans would too.