NFL Prepping for 2018 Bids on TNF Package - FOX Wins the Rights for $660M per Season

26CornerBlitz

It’s the first Thursday night since Week Two without Thursday Night Football. When the series returns on Thursdays in 2018 (a couple of non-Thursday night 2017 Thursday games are coming over the Christmas weekend), it could look a lot different.

Via John Ourand of SportsBusiness Daily, the NFL wants bids for 2018 by early January. The existing package, split for broadcast and production purposes between CBS and NBC, covered only 2016 and 2017.

The total slate currently includes 18 annual Thursday Night Football games, most of which are televised on (duh) Thursday. Per the report, the NFL is willing to consider major changes to the package.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It’s the first Thursday night since Week Two without Thursday Night Football. When the series returns on Thursdays in 2018 (a couple of non-Thursday night 2017 Thursday games are coming over the Christmas weekend), it could look a lot different.

Via John Ourand of SportsBusiness Daily, the NFL wants bids for 2018 by early January. The existing package, split for broadcast and production purposes between CBS and NBC, covered only 2016 and 2017.

The total slate currently includes 18 annual Thursday Night Football games, most of which are televised on (duh) Thursday. Per the report, the NFL is willing to consider major changes to the package.

...thought I read Excellus Blue Cross was in the bidding....TNF injuries and hospitalizations should net them billions................

• Thank you (+1) 1

Dump it... the fans don't like it, the players hate it, and the increased exposure is killing the core NFL Sunday product.

The problem with that of course is that the NFL already has their money from the Sunday packages, so why not bid out a Thursday package?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Dump it... the fans don't like it, the players hate it, and the increased exposure is killing the core NFL Sunday product.

The problem with that of course is that the NFL already has their money from the Sunday packages, so why not bid out a Thursday package?

...should be the first order of business brought up by Jurry Jones and P-Diddy at owners' meetings IMO...............

9 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Am i the only one that likes TNF? I was quite bummed when I realized there wasn't a game tonight. In my eyes, fewer nights with NFL football is a bad thing...as long as the Bills always play at 1PM on Sunday.

No i like if too. The season is so short, I love to see as many games as possible. Saying “TNF is a bad product” is the cool thing to do now. Like it’s a carton of eggs or something. If you love football, I don’t see how having another game to watch is a bad thing. Everyone acts like all the Thursday night games are unwatchable. I personally like it.

I don't like Thursday Night Football myself, but this TV deal will put more money into the pockets of the players.  

The league is all about making money, it's a business.  As much as the players complain about playing Thursday nights, it will put money in their pockets.

Edited by TonyBeets

17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I hope the "changes" they're willing to consider include GETTING RID OF IT

• Thank you (+1) 1