[Please Change Title]John Murphy

46 minutes ago, Long Time Bills Fan said:

After YEARS of reading the Two Bills Drive forum, I took the leap of actually registering...for this purpose.

John Murphy has the worst on air mannerisms I have ever heard. Worse that Shoop and the Bulldog (individually and collectively). 

What do we need to do to get some decent Bills radio coverage?

What is supposed to do, agree with every opinion? 

In terms of being polite, Murphy is sometimes overly polite with some of the idiotic calls that people call in with and demonstrate they have no idea what they are actually watching 

• Like (+1) 1

Call in and try and say anything negative about the team (there's obviously a lot from the past 20 years or so) and Murph will go off the rails. He is way too much of a homer. You need to be a little bit unbiased to be in the media imo. He's just spitting propaganda over the airwaves and it does get tiresome

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Liked Murph in his old humble radio and cable days, but something happened after he was fired from Channel 4. He seems to have a large chip on his shoulder and his defense of his buddy Russ Brandon at OBD is beyond embarrassing to fans.

You cannot expect that the Bills host of a 3 hr show 5 times a week dedicated to the team which is an arm of the team to actually criticize the Russ who is the head of the Bills and Sabres business wise.

Second fans complaining about Russ who has zero role with team decisions anymore and can be credited for helping the team stay here still baffles my mind to this day. Yes there was a point Russ was at the controls and he biff'd it pretty decently, but that was years ago and I'm not sure what is achieved revisiting the past constantly.

Murphy is good. I like Sal too but Schoop is the worst.

I tuned in after yesterday’s game for the post game and he was so incredibly negative it killed my buZz from the great win we had. I had to turn it off. It was just plain awful. No need to be a homer but you are Turing fans off, especially after a win. I will try and avoid his show at all costs going forward. 

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Call in and try and say anything negative about the team (there's obviously a lot from the past 20 years or so) and Murph will go off the rails. He is way too much of a homer. You need to be a little bit unbiased to be in the media imo. He's just spitting propaganda over the airwaves and it does get tiresome

Can you really expect something different from someone that is require to publicly comment about his employers product?

I get it can be annoying but that's like your boss asking you to get up in the middle of your workplace and listen to people criticize it, only to leave you to have something to say about it.

Edited by The Wiz

Being on the left coast I listen to most of the Bills games on WGR. It has been hard to go public in Bills gear to watch games over the last 17 years.
I really like Kelso's analysis.

When I listen to Murph (and he is the DH - Designated Homer) I close my eyes and see John Candy :)

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

44 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I like listening to Murph and Kelso.  After being at games in person, they make me feel like I am there.  I wish I could watch the game on tv and listen to them on the radio; I can barely pick them up in PA.

only reason I have sirius radio is so I can listen to them call a bills game by pausing DVR if its ahead.

Okay. I get it on the responses that support Murphy. But, I go back to the 60's and 70's and remember listening to Artie-baby (the tiny tot of the kilowatt) and Chuck Dickerson. Both highly opinionated.....and Chuck had his NFL days as his credibility (although he was fired by Marv and used radio to take it out on him). 

Maybe I ought to cut John M some slack. He just seemed to be taking Donald J to task...almost embarassing him for his opinion. I just find that rude.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Schopp is the worst.

Agreed?

Just now, Long Time Bills Fan said:

Okay. I get it on the responses that support Murphy. But, I go back to the 60's and 70's and remember listening to Artie-baby (the tiny tot of the kilowatt) and Chuck Dickerson. Both highly opinionated.....and Chuck had his NFL days as his credibility (although he was fired by Marv and used radio to take it out on him). 

Maybe I ought to cut John M some slack. He just seemed to be taking Donald J to task...almost embarassing him for his opinion. I just find that rude.

Agreed?

Actually I think Bulldog is the worst. Schopp is at least intelligent, but he is condescending at times. Bulldog is just bad at what he does, have you ever listened to one of the shows when Schopp was out and it is just bulldog? Painful to listen to.,

12 minutes ago, Long Time Bills Fan said:

Agreed?

I didn't hear that, but I also didn't listen the entire game....only when I had to run the kids in town (then back to tv).  If I heard him complaining about Trump I would have turned it off.  I'm a Trump fan, as many Pennsylvanian's are.

I agree with that Murphy's homerism is over the top and hurts his credibility. He is clear in his calls for the play by play, but I really don't enjoy listening to him very much. His excitement and attempts at having a unique personality while calling the game seem very forced to me. There's a lot of announcers out there who make the game fun to listen to/do it better IMO.

Moving, in order, from the sublime to the abominable...

Murph is great for the Bills and for Buffalo at large.

Kelso is sometimes interesting and always authoritative, but his technical chalk-talks leave me cold. 

Schopp hates his customers almost as much as he hates himself.  What a miserable experience the post-game show has become.

Murph is a superhomer and he tries too hard to be excited when calling games.

He wants to be as exciting as Van Miller or Rick Jeanneret but he comes across as a phony.

He sucks, his show with Jones is garbage.

Edited by T-Bomb
Spelling

1 hour ago, Dalton said:

Good example of why new members should post x times before they can start a thread. 

I never understood this opinion. So if I post 500 times in the "last post wins" thread or the "Game Discussion Thread" then you will take me seriously?

15 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Murph is a superhomer and he tries too hard to be excited when calling games.

He wants to be as exciting as Van Miller or Rick Jeanneret but he comes across as a phony.

He sucks, his show with Jones is garbage.

Yes.  The forced nicknames during games are annoying.