Jump to content
SDS

Carolina Panthers will be sold after season

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

 

So he needs about 25 years of salary to be in the ballpark.

 

Diddy is more interesting;  I have no idea how rich or not people are in that business but wouldn't be surprised if he had serious cash.  He's collected a lot of royalties for a lot of years. 

Diddy is certainly more interesting but Curry can easily be involved. He’s guaranteed over $400M in the next 5 years alone. For comparisons sake, that is Bon Jovi’s entire net worth and he took a run at majority ownership. Curry has a substantial equity stake in Under Armor as well and it is believed that he is worth about $14B to the company. He could certainly leverage Kevin Plank into joining him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Diddy is certainly more interesting but Curry can easily be involved. He’s guaranteed over $400M in the next 5 years alone. For comparisons sake, that is Bon Jovi’s entire net worth and he took a run at majority ownership. Curry has a substantial equity stake in Under Armor as well and it is believed that he is worth about $14B to the company. He could certainly leverage Kevin Plank into joining him.

A move like this, when it's a celebrity status to own an NFL team, will be another downfall of the NFL.

 

An NBA players owning an NFL franchise just doesn't sit well with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

And this stuff happens on an hourly basis in this world. Why he was taken down for it while others weren't is just part of #progress.

 

 

Why can’t the world be made perfect?  Really?  He’s not unlike many in this situation, he continued his behavior so openly and frequently that he got caught in his own web.  If he had stopped the first time he had to pay settlement money it’s likely that the issue dies.  He went back to the well of stupid behavior too often.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The allegations must be true if he is going through this trouble. If they are not true its just another example of allegations being treated as fact without due process. Sad times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

A move like this, when it's a celebrity status to own an NFL team, will be another downfall of the NFL.

 

An NBA players owning an NFL franchise just doesn't sit well with me.

Owners have to approve the purchase. I wouldn't get too worried yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

Why can’t the world be made perfect?  Really?  He’s not unlike many in this situation, he continued his behavior so openly and frequently that he got caught in his own web.  If he had stopped the first time he had to pay settlement money it’s likely that the issue dies.  He went back to the well of stupid behavior too often.

 

 

Being a billionaire doesn't mean you're not stupid. He and many others prove this. It also doesn't mean you're guilty of everything you're accused of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nucci said:

Owners have to approve the purchase. I wouldn't get too worried yet

 

...P-Diddy and Jerry Jones at the owners' meetings?.......would be interesting..............

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There must be a lot there if he immediately agreed to sell.  I bet Jerry Jones could have some skeletons but no way would he just sell, he will go down fighting, might be fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

A move like this, when it's a celebrity status to own an NFL team, will be another downfall of the NFL.

 

An NBA players owning an NFL franchise just doesn't sit well with me.

Ha ha, I can’t imagine that it would sit well with the players either.  “Wait a minute we are out here killing ourselves and could be cut tomorrow and this 29 year-old basketball player is one of the people cutting our checks?!?” I tossed it out early as an option but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him involved at some level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s not the type of person that should own an NFL team. It’s Donald Sterlingish. It’s tough in this climate to be in his situation.

Yup. Anyone feeling otherwise should read the SI piece. If they already have read the article and have any issue with that poor Jerry is going through it says much about that person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Trump will buy them and move them to Mir a lago....

Honestly my first thought was Obama would buy them just to piss of Trump haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bruton smith will buy the panthers. they talked about it a few years. ago. diddy isn't buying the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Honestly my first thought was Obama would buy them just to piss of Trump haha

If Obama could afford to buy an NFL team after a congress and president term salary it shows you how corrupt our government is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

A move like this, when it's a celebrity status to own an NFL team, will be another downfall of the NFL.

 

An NBA players owning an NFL franchise just doesn't sit well with me.

There's a solution to the problem that doesn't sit well with you: Stand up instead. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it HAS to be Toronto, amirite??

 

Anyway, tough break for Richardson.  He'll have to accept over a billion in cash and continue to watch games from a super luxury box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

If Obama could afford to buy an NFL team after a congress and president term salary it shows you how corrupt our government is 

You forget his book deal and speaking engagements. Hes a former president, regardless of your politics, he can make a lot of money very quickly if he wants to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yup. Anyone feeling otherwise should read the SI piece. If they already have read the article and have any issue with that poor Jerry is going through it says much about that person.

Or it says due diligence and a process of respecting the first amendment are sort of a thing.  I didn't see a big issue on why Sterling should have had to sell. He should have been forced to keep the team and deal with the fact that players hate him for a year or two and it'll be forgotten.

 

Sorry if I value the liberties to sound like a dumbass. Clearly, I use this liberty all I can with my persona, not that you'd understand - I'm a pretty !@#$ed up individual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Diddy is certainly more interesting but Curry can easily be involved. He’s guaranteed over $400M in the next 5 years alone. For comparisons sake, that is Bon Jovi’s entire net worth and he took a run at majority ownership. Curry has a substantial equity stake in Under Armor as well and it is believed that he is worth about $14B to the company. He could certainly leverage Kevin Plank into joining him.

 

The company's market cap value is only 6 billion---and it has been tanking for almost 2 years (27 billion in 4/16).

 

Curry should unload his UA stake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

The company's market cap value is only 6 billion---and it has been tanking for almost 2 years (27 billion in 4/16).

 

Curry should unload his UA stake.

On a related but off topic discussion.  It's amazing what happened to UA. I began wearing it in HS (98? 99?). And no one knew what it was. I was the fag wearing spandex essentially, I was clowned on often for it.  I didn't care. The stuff was amazing. Their original logo was ****, though. Either way, by 02 and 03 it began to take off!  I bought some stock early on it, much after the over priced IPO, and have seen it tank...and tank...and tank...and damn near be the Cleveland Browns. 

 

I get it, they can't capitalize on a market and have spread themselves so thing that North Face can laugh at them.  But, their products are still better than any other competitor out there. Nike doesn't come close, nor does any other line. It's sad that their quality is so high yet they suck at conquering the final growth, after skyrocketing. 

 

Hopefully, another group buys them and can turn things around before they tank completely

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Being a billionaire doesn't mean you're not stupid. He and many others prove this. It also doesn't mean you're guilty of everything you're accused of.

Maybe if you had access to his numerous non-disclosure settlements you would have a better idea of what he is accused of. 

 

No one is forcing him to sell. The owner is getting up in age and he has had health issues. He's making a decisions that he believes is best for himself. Times change. Behavior that was more tolerated before is less tolerated now. He is prudently walking away from the impending storm. That's the right thing to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Maybe if you had access to his numerous non-disclosure settlements you would have a better idea of what he is accused of. 

 

No one is forcing him to sell. The owner is getting up in age and he has had health issues. He's making a decisions that he believes is best for himself. Times change. Behavior that was more tolerated before is less tolerated now. He is prudently walking away from the impending storm. That's the right thing to do. 

Maybe, maybe not. NDA's are NDA's.  Maybe your access to them would paint a different picture.  

 

When you're worth billions you may consider all of this to be worthless and just cash out with billions more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Maybe, maybe not. NDA's are NDA's.  Maybe your access to them would paint a different picture.  

 

When you're worth billions you may consider all of this to be worthless and just cash out with billions more.

Common sense tells you that when a person settles a number of harassment cases with non-disclosure clauses it is to protect the person settling the claim more than it is to protect the person making the complaint.  I'm willing/open to giving people who are in a vulnerable position (wealthy and public figures) the benefit of the doubt, especially if the evidence is scant against them. But when you have multiple cases of similar claims all settled by the accused with the same ND clauses then the red flags  have a starker meaning.

 

As I said before at this time in his life selling is the right thing for him to do for himself.  

Edited by JohnC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Diddy is certainly more interesting but Curry can easily be involved. He’s guaranteed over $400M in the next 5 years alone. For comparisons sake, that is Bon Jovi’s entire net worth and he took a run at majority ownership. Curry has a substantial equity stake in Under Armor as well and it is believed that he is worth about $14B to the company. He could certainly leverage Kevin Plank into joining him.

Bon Jovi was going through it as a majority owner, he, like Jeter and the Marlins was goi g to be the figurehead owner with a minority stake. Similar also to Jordan and the NBA franchises he has owned. They are part of a group and because of their celebrity status are used as the face of the ownership group. Curry may be making $400 million plus a sponsorship deal with UA, but it's still not enough for a team or majority ownership unless he lives off another income and the entire contract was already paid to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Common sense tells you that when a person settles a number of harassment cases with non-disclosure clauses it is to protect the person settling the claim more than it is to protect the person making the complaint.  I'm willing/open to giving people who are in a vulnerable position (wealthy and public figures) the benefit of the doubt, especially if the evidence is scant against them. But when you have multiple cases of similar claims all settled by the accused with the same ND clauses then the red flags  have a starker meaning.

 

As I said before at this time in his life selling is the right thing for him to do for himself.  

I don't disagree at all. His reputation in the Carolinas is well known. But, just once I'd like to see some of these guys fight it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×