Options for OC?

We've all discussed how we aren't in love with Dennison to no end but who would you replace him with?  

I like two names in particular.  I don't know how I feel about getting an older retread guy.  Instead, I'd like to grab the next young buck that has experience handling young QBs.

My first option would be: John DeFilippo, QB Coach Philadelphia

He was around to help develop a younger Derek Carr and now Carson Wentz.  He spent one year in Cleveland as OC with Pettine before that entire staff got wiped out.  He has a solid resume at QB Coach and is 39 years old.  I think pairing him with a rookie QB could be our best option.

My second option would be: Ken Dorsey, QB Coach Carolina

He got started as a QB developer for the draft and has spent the last few seasons with Cam Newton and Cam's play immediately jumped after he arrived.  He's 36 years old.

Ultimately, I'm looking to change course from the older coaches who seem to be more set in their ways.  These two young guys don't have the experience calling plays and that will likely be an adjustment for them. However, their experience with young QBs is undeniable and may be the best option for us to pair with a rookie QB.  I think a young OC with some spunk should be the way to go...who do you guys have on your radar if Dennison is shown the door after the season?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Love the idea of a fresh new guy. DeFilippo sounds great, but I won’t claim to have any in-depth knowledge of these guys. I do know that the right coach can make a WORLD of difference! Look around the league. 

Unfortunately, the problem with these guys is they are under contract with their teams and the teams don't have to let them talk to us if they aren't a candidate for a head coaching job.  This makes it difficult but I still like these guys. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

We've all discussed how we aren't in love with Dennison to no end but who would you replace him with?  

I like two names in particular.  I don't know how I feel about getting an older retread guy.  Instead, I'd like to grab the next young buck that has experience handling young QBs.

He was around to help develop a younger Derek Carr and now Carson Wentz.  He spent one year in Cleveland as OC with Pettine before that entire staff got wiped out.  He has a solid resume at QB Coach and is 39 years old.  I think pairing him with a rookie QB could be our best option.

He got started as a QB developer for the draft and has spent the last few seasons with Cam Newton and Cam's play immediately jumped after he arrived.  He's 36 years old.

Ultimately, I'm looking to change course from the older coaches who seem to be more set in their ways.  These two young guys don't have the experience calling plays and that will likely be an adjustment for them. However, their experience with young QBs is undeniable and may be the best option for us to pair with a rookie QB.  I think a young OC with some spunk should be the way to go...who do you guys have on your radar if Dennison is shown the door after the season?

I think if a change is made (which I'm not convinced it will be) Mike McCoy is the obvious leading candidate in McD's eyes.

As for me...depends on who is available at the end of the year. As of no McCoy and McAdoo are the big name guys out there, but I'm not sure I like either. 

If Musgrave doesn't land the full time OC job in Denver he would be tempting. Oakland has pretty much fallen off without him this year.

34 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Those are the types of OCs I want too!  Young, new school, innovative,  teacher, developer types

Didn’t we interview Dorsey before hiring Dennison? Seems unlikely his name gets brought up since McD could have hired him to begin with.

Rob Chudzinski - Seems like an obvious choice with the Carolina history and who is likely to be unemployed once Pagano gets fired.

Sean Ryan - QB coach for the Texans

John Morton - OC for the Jets. Seems unlikely that Bowles gets fired but if he does I’d look at Morton who I think has done a good job with the Jets

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Unfortunately, the problem with these guys is they are under contract with their teams and the teams don't have to let them talk to us if they aren't a candidate for a head coaching job.  This makes it difficult but I still like these guys. 

I thought it only had to be a promotion, a team can prevent a QB coach from becoming OC with another team?

• Like (+1) 1

DeFilippo was denied to interview for the Jets OC I thought. 

I am am curious about Ken Dorsey.

Yes they interviewed him last year more than likely out of respect and to give him experience. Plus it let him know hey, folks may be calling soon so be ready. So to say Bills wouldn’t invite him again is crazy.

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm with you - we've tried hiring the "veteran offensive coordinator" and it hasn't done much good.  We do need a younger coach that approaches offense differently and has new ideas.

With that being said, I think Rob Chudzinski is probably a top candidate if a move is made.  I'd actually like Dirk Koetter as well

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I would love an ex-QB as a coach. look at guys like Dorsey, Doug Pederson, Derek Anderson, even Frank Reich. Their teams pretty much have great offenses. 

So Peyton Manning it is? Actually this is very, very intriguing. He could read a D from the booth and call in a quick audible to the QB.

This is a smart idea... Dude knows the game better than most coaches do. Start him out as a QB coach McD :)

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

So Peyton Manning it is? Actually this is very, very intriguing. He could read a D from the booth and call in a quick audible to the QB.

This is a smart idea... Dude knows the game better than most coaches do. Start him out as a QB coach McD :)

I'd be very surprised if Peyton Manning hasn't declined this "opportunity" 32 times...  OK, maybe 28.

• Haha (+1) 1