Coach Tuesday's Tyrod Thread

Coach Tuesday

As we close out the Tyrod Era with three final games, I thought I'd take the time to start my first and only Tyrod thread.

I came across this article about Russell Wilson, and reading it reminded me of Tyrod in many ways - if you sub out Wilson with Tyrod, and sub in a decent offensive coordinator like Bevell, you'd get a similar analysis IMO.  The gist: a player who is hard to design gameplans for on offense, but equally hard to design gameplans to stop on defense.

Anyhow, I wish Tyrod luck.  Hopefully luck and good agent work will get him somewhere where he can be paired up with a creative offensive mind.  Ty, it was fun watching you do your thing, as frustrating as it sometimes was - there were miraculous "wow" moments in there as well.

Happy reading folks:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-mvp-darrell-bevell

• Sad 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

How do you design an offense around a guy who can't throw?

NO...  Tryrod is NOT like Russell Wilson.  Don't...  just DON'T!

I think he'd be a great fit as a QB in that smashmouth spread option stuff they do in college.  Throw in some perimeter screens, and bring some tempo.  You can run zones and powers, and they won't be able to crowd the line.  If they do you can do play action, screens, and vertical concepts. 

It's a lot of isolating matchups and picking on the same people over and over again.  If you bring a fast tempo, the other team won't be able to sub in/out and will be forced to adapt on the fly.

It's not ideal - but i think we'd probably score more points than we have been.  We'd need to be constantly adding speed at WR, as well as RB.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think he'd be a great fit as a QB in that smashmouth spread option stuff they do in college.  Throw in some perimeter screens, and bring some tempo.  You can run zones and powers, and they won't be able to crowd the line.  If they do you can do play action, screens, and vertical concepts. 

It's a lot of isolating matchups and picking on the same people over and over again.  If you bring a fast tempo, the other team won't be able to sub in/out and will be forced to adapt on the fly.

It's not ideal - but i think we'd probably score more points than we have been.  We'd need to be constantly adding speed at WR, as well as RB.  

TENN's "exotic smash mouth" offense is what I always think of for taylor. they are 8-5 right now with mariota playing wayyyy below average. you cant convince me they wouldn't be a better team with a guy like taylor at qb this year.

as for the op's Wilson comparsion? no way. sorry. cant go there.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Huge difference between the two.  The simple aggression that Wilson plays with in the passing game puts him in a completely different category than Tyrod.  Tyrod is conservative and doesn't take chances while Wilson consistently takes chances and has a high success rate when doing so.  His willingness to let his wide receivers make a play and trust in his teammates is on a different level than Tyrod's.

Just now, dneveu said:

My main issue with Roman was the slow play calling, and not having a 2 minute offense.  

Yeah, I didn't like Roman either but Lynn used his system to perfection with Tyrod.  While Tyrod wasn't responsible for all that scoring, he was a piece of it and was good enough in certain moments to help get those points.  Any team that has a top 10 scoring offense and a good defense to back them up can be successful in this league.  The Jags with Marrone are pretty much doing that right now.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

TENN's "exotic smash mouth" offense is what I always think of for taylor. they are 8-5 right now with mariota playing wayyyy below average. you cant convince me they wouldn't be a better team with a guy like taylor at qb this year.

I think they both have good arms.  Both throw well on the run.  Both are short.  They are 2 of the most elusive players I've ever seen.  

Wilson is more accurate.  More precise. More consistent.  More of a big-game player.  Spreads the ball around more successfully, and seems to  understand game situations much more.  

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Exactly - hammer defenses with a big back, and H-back/FB moving around in the backfield.  Zone reads, screens, powers.  I just don't get why we run this WCO/outside Zone thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

My main issue with Roman was the slow play calling, and not having a 2 minute offense.  

It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

As we close out the Tyrod Era with three final games, I thought I'd take the time to start my first and only Tyrod thread.

I came across this article about Russell Wilson, and reading it reminded me of Tyrod in many ways - if you sub out Wilson with Tyrod, and sub in a decent offensive coordinator like Bevell, you'd get a similar analysis IMO.  The gist: a player who is hard to design gameplans for on offense, but equally hard to design gameplans to stop on defense.

Anyhow, I wish Tyrod luck.  Hopefully luck and good agent work will get him somewhere where he can be paired up with a creative offensive mind.  Ty, it was fun watching you do your thing, as frustrating as it sometimes was - there were miraculous "wow" moments in there as well.

Happy reading folks:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-mvp-darrell-bevell

Word. Really was hoping he’d improve on his progressions while being more aggressive and taking more chances throwing the football.  He’s a special player running the ball. One of the best scramblers ever. The stars just didn’t align in Buffalo.  Hopefully he can succeed somewhere in the NFC.  Pretty sure he’ll be throwing pinpoint lasers all over the field next time he faces McDermott. 

8 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor. It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.It was Taylor.

And before that it was Kaepernick and Alex Smith.... http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/09/30/the-greg-roman-re-re-evaluation-if-you-were-paying-attention-during-his-49ers-tenure-you-actually-dont-have-to-keep-changing-your-mind/

–The staggering amount of delay-of-game penalties and rushed snaps at the play-clock was not a great example of strategic and functional brilliance. Right there, that was bad on Roman and Harbaugh.

Edited by dneveu

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Word. Really was hoping he’d improve on his progressions while being more aggressive and taking more chances throwing the football.  He’s a special player running the ball. One of the best scramblers ever. The stars just didn’t align in Buffalo.  Hopefully he can succeed somewhere in the NFC.  Pretty sure he’ll be throwing pinpoint lasers all over the field next time he faces McDermott. 

23 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Maybe when he goes back to college to run that offense he can take a few class's and up that Wonderlic score from 15

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

^^^^This^^^^

It is truly amazing that people still think Taylor is a good QB and would excel in this offense or that offense etc. 

The guy is a bad QB, how bad does he have to play for that to be realized? 56 yard games or how about 65 yard games? 23 out of 40 starts under 200 yards passing? 28 out of 40 starts passing for 1 TD or less? or "just make him be a QB". Just about every stat of his has incrementally declined as more film on him has become available. I personally don't see that trend changing no matter where he goes or what coaches he has next year. Tyrod has not changed his game as the defensive coordinators have changed there schemes to shut him down. A fatal flaw he does not seem to be able to adjust to. Unfortunately for him his days as a starter in the league appear to be done at the end of this year. IMO   

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Have elite rushing attacks? That’s really the big difference. This year. Statistically Tyrod is doing what he always does. 

What they did was working for us.  What our coaching staff isn't.  So whatever you want to call it, call it.  

8 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

^^^^This^^^^

It is truly amazing that people still think Taylor is a good QB and would excel in this offense or that offense etc. 

The guy is a bad QB, how bad does he have to play for that to be realized? 56 yard games or how about 65 yard games? 23 out of 40 starts under 200 yards passing? 28 out of 40 starts passing for 1 TD or less? or "just make him be a QB". Just about every stat of his has incrementally declined as more film on him has become available. I personally don't see that trend changing no matter where he goes or what coaches he has next year. Tyrod has not changed his game as the defensive coordinators have changed there schemes to shut him down. A fatal flaw he does not seem to be able to adjust to. Unfortunately for him his days as a starter in the league appear to be done at the end of this year. IMO   

You can create a scheme for a bad/flawed QB though.  We don't have a good QB on the roster - so if you're trying to win.... you would scheme around your QBs strong suits.  Not mash everyone into your existing scheme.

He's had upwards of 20 passes batted down at the line this year.  Clearly the 3 step drop rhythm pass isn't working, maybe we try something else.  

They're constantly stacking the line and forcing him to get the ball out quick and he's holding it... maybe we spread them out so they can't stack the LOS... so we can run the ball more effectively.

I'm not claiming hes good... I'm just saying if he's who youre going with, maybe you should try and do something different.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What they did was working for us.  What our coaching staff isn't.  So whatever you want to call it, call it.  

The passing game wasn’t working for us. That’s kind of the point since this is a Tyrod thread. We had a top 10 scoring offense despite an anemic a passing attack. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It was working if you like blowouts vs bad teams, no shows vs good teams, and .500 football.   

I wish the cot would let this die.  

• Like (+1) 1