Tyler Dunne Article on Sammy Watkins' Maturation

26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His agent got ahold him methinks 

Would not surprise me if his agent has already been in prelim talks with the Rams regarding Sammy's future with the team, and got feedback that was not the kind of feedback an agent wants to hear.

In this article, Sammy admits to struggling with the offensive plays ("... Goff often asks him in the huddle if he knows what he's doing on a certain play, a certain route concept and—eyes wide, shaking his head—Watkins will admit he does not.").

In an article back in late October, Sammy admitted he is still struggling with reading defensive coverage.

This is all on top of being called out by Goff for quitting on play earlier in the season.

No wonder his production sucks.

Agent marketed story. All the incentive is on the agent... he can sell this story (since Watkins numbers blow) as a "reset" on the kid and if it works, a better contact and more money in his pocket. Sammy is a a good receiver but by all accounts a dunce. And a selfish dunce is the worst. Good riddance, can't win with these guys. Those who want "talent" are willing to overlook the personality flaws until the player implodes. Thankfully he's gone. Give me grit, hatred of losing, passion, team-first, and hard work over 40 times and vertical jumps and wing span. Mike Williams and Erik Flowers on line 1.....

1 minute ago, zonabb said:

Agent marketed story. All the incentive is on the agent... he can sell this story (since Watkins numbers blow) as a "reset" on the kid and if it works, a better contact and more money in his pocket. Sammy is a a good receiver but by all accounts a dunce. And a selfish dunce is the worst. Good riddance, can't win with these guys. Those who want "talent" are willing to overlook the personality flaws until the player implodes. Thankfully he's gone. Give me grit, hatred of losing, passion, team-first, and hard work over 40 times and vertical jumps and wing span. Mike Williams and Erik Flowers on line 1.....

You want a team of 53 Ryan Denneys. Got it.  6-10 should suit you just fine. 

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

W/O the benefit of a full offseason of OTAs, minicamps, and TC to fully immerse himself in the system.  The Rams are happy with his production as well as the opportunities he opens up for Woods, Kupp and others by design and matchup concepts. 

I wonder how much the best decoy in the NFL will get in free agency next March.

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'll say it again: some day, some how, the Bills need a player development program.  The good franchises have them.  McD's program seems to be, "Let's bring in players who don't need any development."  That ain't sustainable.

Put it another way: the coaches who are going to have long careers are the ones who can get production and buy-in out of the Watkins and Dareus types.  It's EASY to get production out of Tre' White, any coach could do it.  Rex could do it.  That doesn't distinguish a good coach.

I dont think that that seems to be his program. His program seems to be to bring in guys that they can mould and develop themselves, while surrounding them with character vets who do things the right way to help teach the young guys. 

Zay Jones wasn't a guy who didn't/doesn't need any development. He seems to be coming along. Dion Dawkins also wasn't a guy who didn't need any development, and he's coming along nicely too. 

Matt Milano was a late round pick that clearly needed development and has earned + been holding his own in a starting role. 

McD's actually getting weekly contributions from his entire draft class. 

If you want to argue that Tre White doesn't need development and would produce for any coach, I don't really know how to argue against it since it's not really something we can know. But I would say that he has gotten better as the year went on, and id like to give our coaching staff some credit for that... and id also say that McD deserves some credit for identifying and drafting a player like Tre White (in the late 1st) in the first place. It's not like previous regimes usually drafted players with his type of personality, maturity, smarts etc. 

Also, he helped develop numerous players in Carolina. I'd have to look back at his Carolina teams but I know he has numerous young players that he brought along while there. One I can think of of the top of my head is Josh Norman. He was a 5th round pick that McD helped turn into a top 3-5 CB in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, Cynical said:

Could be? I think the training staff issue has been a problem in Buffalo for years now. Ever since the Bills lost that trainer from the 90's (I cannot remember his name at the moment), the players on this team have been constantly nicked up, injured, weight issues, etc.

Yeah lots of soft tissue injury.  In Madden franchise kode you can upgrade your medical staff so players dont get hurt as often and recpver faster.  As stupid as it sounds i wish pegs would update ours.

If we still had Sammy we would be in a better position for the playoffs now, and TT would be a better passer.  Once Sammy left, TT had to know that this was his last season as a Bill.  Darius still here would've make us better right now too.  Hopefully, a year from now, this year will be seen as a step backwards to make two steps forward!!??  I agree with these moves at this point, but the jury is still out.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What cost him his job was an unwillingness to run the ball between the hashes as Kelly wanted him to.

He'd fallen in love with his outside game......which had lead to him leading the NFL in fewest yards per touch in 2014......... and he brought that baggage to Buffalo and spent an entire season taking nearly every carry sideways until he got out of bounds while the MG's and Karlos' took the inside route to the house over and over.

He fessed up to it and did a 180 after that disastrous 2015 and has been a better runner and teammate ever since.   Probably wouldn't even kiss the Eagle and not ride back with the team if they had played in Philly the past two seasons.   I've credited him for his turnaround many times but make no mistake he was an epic douche.......Sammy Watkins behavior wasn't even in the same universe of douchebaggery.:lol:

As for Chip Kelly.......I'll put it this way.......if Sean McDermott had interviewed for the UCLA job do you think he's have gotten it?    Kelly might have been out of his element in the NFL but make no mistake he is viewed as a big time HC.   McD is Steve Spagnolo without a SB ring at this point.

I know what cost him his job with Kelly.  The point is, Kelly is back in college (where he belongs) and moves like that are a major reason why.  Meanwhile Shady's still in the NFL, has the most rushing yards since joining the Bills, and on his way to the HOF.

And Shady is a douche...because he wouldn't run between the tackles?  :lol:

Why would McD interview for the UCLA job?  He's an NFL HC.  Do you think that if Kelly had interviewed for the Bills' HC'ing job that he would have gotten it?

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Trading guys like Lynch and Peters and Sammy haven't worked out well..........there are still people who defend the awful Lynch and Peters trades and those guys are likely HOF'ers.    

It's disappointing being around fellow Bills fans who remain so willfully ignorant. :lol:

There are no farm teams in the NFL but the Bills are run worse than patsies in leagues where there ARE huge payroll disadvantages.

Like MLB........Bills are run worse than the Pittsburgh Pirates or Tampa Bay Rays or Florida Marlins......teams that can't draw flies.

Glad I am a Yankee fan so I can at least laugh at B word-ass teams in the same neighborhood as the Bills in other sports. :lol:

I forgot to mention the Mets.......they are actually run worse than the Bills and will be for the rest of your life at least.   God bless the Wilpons.     You think maybe Ralph's family changed their name from Wilpon at Ellis Island?:lol:

Lynch won't make the HOF.  And if you want to talk about being unwilling to do things, a bad teammate and a douche... :lol:

As for Peters, he's a first ballot HOF'er.  But he wanted out.  And the Eagles will still make the playoffs without him.  ;)

Sammy has all the talent in the world but he still can't produce like a true #1 WR.  He'll never be in the HOF conversation, never make AP All-Pro, and even making the Pro Bowl will likely be few and far between. 

16 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Misleading stat.

He's been outrushed by Zeke since he entered the league and Zeke has been serving a suspension for weeks.

McCoy is the best if you don't count any new RB's or RB's who have gotten hurt or...

It's not a misleading stat.  He's had the most rushing yards since joining the Bills.  You can make excuse after excuse why others haven't, but the stat is what it is.  And he missed 4 games in 2015 and 1 last year. 

But yes, Elliott could likely outrush him if he were not suspended. 

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

W/O the benefit of a full offseason of OTAs, minicamps, and TC to fully immerse himself in the system.

Still using this excuse? Deonte Thompson got more yards in his first game as a Bill than Sammy has gotten in a single game all year. Thompson has 37.5 YPG with the Bills, Sammy has 42.2 YPG with the Rams. A difference of 4.7 YPG. That's just embarrassing for Sammy. If he still isn't grasping the Rams offense he must be even dumber than I thought.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/15/2017 at 11:34 AM, Cynical said:

Could be? I think the training staff issue has been a problem in Buffalo for years now. Ever since the Bills lost that trainer from the 90's (I cannot remember his name at the moment), the players on this team have been constantly nicked up, injured, weight issues, etc.

Rusty Jones. He was promoted (against his will) and when Ruben Brown left he recommended Bears hire him and the health of the Bears immediately got better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Jones_(American_football)

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Still using this excuse? Deonte Thompson got more yards in his first game as a Bill than Sammy has gotten in a single game all year. Thompson has 37.5 YPG with the Bills, Sammy has 42.2 YPG with the Rams. A difference of 4.7 YPG. That's just embarrassing for Sammy. If he still isn't grasping the Rams offense he must be even dumber than I thought.

Any idiot can looks at stats and make that kind of silly comparison.  So what you're intimating is that Thompson and Watkins have similar impact on their respective teams in the Bills and Rams?  If so, then that's just plain dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Rusty Jones. He was promoted (against his will) and when Ruben Brown left he recommended Bears hire him and the health of the Bears immediately got better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Jones_(American_football)

That's the guy! IIRC, there was interview with Pat Williams when he was still a Bill, and Pat singled out and praised Rusty for his work.

8 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Yeah lots of soft tissue injury.  In Madden franchise kode you can upgrade your medical staff so players dont get hurt as often and recpver faster.  As stupid as it sounds i wish pegs would update ours.

If you go back in the thread, YOLO updated one of his posts showing McD made some changes in that area.

Here's hoping the new guys are an upgrade to what the Bills have had.