Tyler Dunne Article on Sammy Watkins' Maturation

26CornerBlitz

32 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Could be? I think the training staff issue has been a problem in Buffalo for years now. Ever since the Bills lost that trainer from the 90's (I cannot remember his name at the moment), the players on this team have been constantly nicked up, injured, weight issues, etc.

Posted this in the Matthews to IR thread. Yikes!

48 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Awesome article.  I loved reading about how Shady confronted Watkins on his selfishness.

"We hear you need 10 targets a game," McCoy said aloud to Watkins. "Here you go." And with that, the running back handed the disgruntled receiver a manila envelope with 10 red targets printed out inside.

Huh, who would have though that going to the news behind your team's back and complaining about targets would piss people off. This makes me like Shady more than I already did.

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why do you say that of Lal? That demonstrates the level of trust they had or in this case didn't have in the player. Who admittedly was out for himself during his time here. That's a tough spot for a coach, IIRC Watkins loved Lal I'd imagine that was the "breaking" point.

Because the player was clearly injured, that's why - he had a screw in his foot, after all. Lal's pressuring him to play only made things worse for the player too. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wow. 

56 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Awesome article.  I loved reading about how Shady confronted Watkins on his selfishness.

"We hear you need 10 targets a game," McCoy said aloud to Watkins. "Here you go." And with that, the running back handed the disgruntled receiver a manila envelope with 10 red targets printed out inside.

Oh my God!

Shady throwing shade.  Love that guy!

In any case, hope Sammy is able to turn it around for himself, must be kind of difficult to be the most highly touted of his class to be the bottom performer out of the group.

Edited by Magox

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Because the player was clearly injured, that's why - he had a screw in his foot, after all. Lal's pressuring him to play only made things worse for the player too. 

Wow. 

Made it worse? Greg Olsen is going through the same thing, saw him hopping off on one foot last week only to try and play again this week. 100% he will have another surgery this offseason with his Jones Fracture. 

The staff cleared Watkins, as far as Lal knows he is good to go, I think that's one small incident it what was probably a much broader relationship. Tough to blame either one of them there, if anything that goes back to the medical staff. 

Edelman, Julio, Durant etc. all went through the same troubles with this surgery. 

39 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

haha I love shady. so NOT a punk like watkins.

:lol: Quite a revisionist take......McCoy was a punk for sure and took much longer to mature than Watkins.  His stubborn, self-serving manner cost him his job on his beloved hometown team.   Gotta' be devastating for McCoy to see the Eagles coasting into the playoffs with a potential #1 seed/homefield advantage while he wallows in exile.   Sammy got the reverse........exiled to sunny SoCal and a trip to the playoffs.  

The Pegula dumpster fire hasn't proven to be any better place to develop 20 year old first rounders than Ralph's version............gotta' draft around the organizational incompetence.......3D White is the kinda' player that won't let a sh*tshow disrupt his trajectory and he'll transition fine to the next coaching staff if the McD show goes full McAdoo and gets fired next year.     

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Another bad look for Beane and McD.......but in fairness Matthews was a throw-in.   Can't even say that the Eagles tricked them, the Eagles got no value for his inclusion in that trade.   Shame on McD and Beane if they thought he was some kind of replacement for Watkins but the Eagles got no value for Matthews in that trade.......no way Darby was selling for any more than a 3rd rounder.   

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Another bad look for Beane and McD.......but in fairness Matthews was a throw-in.   Can't even say that the Eagles tricked them, the Eagles got no value for his inclusion in that trade.   Shame on McD and Beane if they thought he was some kind of replacement for Watkins but the Eagles got no value for Matthews in that trade.......no way Darby was selling for any more than a 3rd rounder.   

Exactly right on him being a throw in. I wouldn't say it's a bad look on Beane, Matthews is a guy heading into FA and him and his agent need to salvage some of his value. Being injured is about the only thing they can use this late in the game.

He will have missed 16 games in the last 3 seasons. 7 prior to his arrival in Blo, his history is well documented. His durability was mocked as they shipped off Watkins by a select few. 

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

Sammy  13 games  34 rec   549  yards

Woods    10 games 47 rrec   703 yards

I think both are very good. Curious Sammy's next contract.

Scintillating.

549 yards in 13 games. just under 43 yards a game. Impactful.

:lol:

Edited by joesixpack

1 minute ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I really don't care about Sammy's career in the least.  Get your **** together, don't get your **** together, how does that affect the team I follow?  It doesn't.  Moving on.

Thanks for stopping by. :beer:

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Scintillating.

549 yards in 13 games. just under 43 yards a game. Impactful.

:lol:

29 first downs and 7 TDs on 34 catches is pretty impactful I'd say. 

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Huh, who would have though that going to the news behind your team's back and complaining about targets would piss people off. This makes me like Shady more than I already did.

Yea it was good when Tyrod ignored him for 8 games before he said that ? ??‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Yea it was good when Tyrod ignored him for 8 games before he said that ? ??‍♂️

Sammy had more yards per game and more receptions per game in 2015 and 2016 than he does this seasom. He had more total targets in 2015 and only 6 less total targets in 2016 despite playing in 5 fewer games.

So if Tyrod was ignoring him, what is Goff doing? If he complained to the LA Times about his targets would that be acceptable to you?

Edited by HappyDays

The exact reason why Mcermott didn't pick up his option and oked the the trade.  Buffalo needs a tremendous amount of character and leadership to turn around the 17 year old fiasco.  Stat me guys do nothing to change the culture and expectations of the team moving forward.  On a winning team Watkins would be little to no problem.  for a franchise trying to climb out of the gutter Watkins is a monkey on your back.