Would you rather be New England or Cincannati?

Tatonka68

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

New Orleans hands down. Not only did they win a Super Bowl outside that time frame, but with a QB like Brees you can add a few pieces/have a few things fall your way and bang...you're one of the best teams in the league. Houston, and other teams with saddled with talented rosters and mediocre QBs, have a much thinner range of success owing to the much larger amount of variables required for a championship run IMO.

I respectfully disagree, but I can understand that. I just think it's a better comparison than the original one presented. Would you rather be the team that has won 5 of the last 15 Super Bowls or the team that hasn't won a playoff game in the last 27 years? :lol:

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I respectfully disagree, but I can understand that. I just think it's a better comparison than the original one presented. Would you rather be the team that has won 5 of the last 15 Super Bowls or the team that hasn't won a playoff game in the last 27 years? :lol:

Its like asking “Would you rather smoke a Cuban cigar or a Black and Mild”

6 hours ago, TPS said:

Yeah, who needs Aaron Rogers....

Has Rodgers  been throwing to a bunch of no names his whole career?   Thats not the case now is it.  He has had receivers who were stars under Brett Favre for instance.  Heck even Matt Flynn looked really good throwing to some of Aaron's receivers.  So you don't really make a good case .

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Has Rodgers  been throwing to a bunch of no names his whole career?   Thats not the case now is it.  He has had receivers who were stars under Brett Favre for instance.  Heck even Matt Flynn looked really good throwing to some of Aaron's receivers.  So you don't really make a good case .

Sorry, but you're taking the other extreme. Great QBs have an impact--they allow the talent to play to their potential, and they can make average guys seem better.

23 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Cincinnati is loaded with talented players, OT, DT, WR & LB you name it. But their QB is not great. The Result plenty of playoff appearances, ZERO  playoff victories.

New England has one of the best QB's in history who makes their OT, DT, WR & LB more talented and wins SUPERBOWLS! 

Isn't 17 years of missing the playoffs and the last great QB suited up for the Bills in 1995, Jim Kelly. Enough is enough, without a great QB we will always be a big joke, Lets change this in 2018.

Jim Kelly.jpg

One team has the best coach in the history of the sport one has....Marvin Lewis. The poster boy for "slightly above average". But let's just glaze over that I guess...

patriots of course.

Does anyone think for a second that if we were playing them instead of the Colts last week that the two point conversion would have been good ?

Too many opportune penalties against their opponents over the years, cheating scandals etc ....

I fully expect conversation here tomorrow on how the Steelers got screwed.

12 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

patriots of course.

Does anyone think for a second that if we were playing them instead of the Colts last week that the two point conversion would have been good ?

Too many opportune penalties against their opponents over the years, cheating scandals etc ....

I fully expect conversation here tomorrow on how the Steelers got screwed.

Pitt is actually one of the teams NE doesn't need the Refs help to beat....they absolutely own the Steelers....Big Ben even calls them their big brother...some of my friends that are Steelers fans are still freaking out about that comment.....

Edited by Iron Maiden

Another day, another day "we have to draft a QB in the first round so he can take us to the playoffs" thread from the OP.  He doesn't care who the Bills draft just as long as he's a QB and they take him in the first round.  How'd that work the last two times the Bills tried that??? :doh:

The only thing that drafting a QB in the first round guarantees is that the team will be committed to him for at least four years unless he's a J'Marcus Russell or Johnny Manziel style bust, so they won't be drafting another first or even second round QB if a better prospect comes along during that time.  The Bills got bitten in their arses for drafting both Losman and Manuel higher than they should have been drafted.

Even if a first round -- top 5 pick even -- turns out to be a great QB, that's no guarantee that the team will make and/or win playoff games.  The OP uses Andy Dalton who has been a decent, even Pro Bowl, QB at times in his career but conveniently ignores Phillip Rivers.  The Chargers have won exactly 1 more playoff game than the Bills since Rivers became their starter in 2006, and they've made the playoffs only once in the last eight years.

17 hours ago, TPS said:

Sorry, but you're taking the other extreme. Great QBs have an impact--they allow the talent to play to their potential, and they can make average guys seem better.

So who are these average guys that Rodgers made look better ?  I agree with your point that great QBs make full use of talent .  But that’s not the same as making someone who is mediocre a star.

While it is easy to mock the original poster as fool who is doing nothing more than pointing out the best football strategy is having the greatest QB of all time, there is a critical point in this discussion. 

At least in the AFC, there has been no sustainable plan for success this century that doesn't involve great QB play. The Manning Colts,Bronco, Steelers and Patriots. 

While it is difficult to find a great QB, based on this centuries results, it is more likely to land a top QB (3 AFC teams have done it) then it is to search for the unicorn like mythical sustainable winning cliche team based "defense wins championship" or "champions are built from the lines out" 

Given that there seems to be no way to build a consistent competitive team with any of the unicorn strategies, its arguable that unless a team has one of the Top QB, there is no such thing as putting to many resources into finding that guy.   Have the Bengals really prospered building around Andy Dalton any more than if they continued to invest in finding a better QB. 

Dick Jauron wasn't lying when he said its hard to win in the NFL. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease