The Real DC Tom Idiot Reaction

plenzmd1

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Lived in Metro DC for 12 years.

This sort of thing makes me thankful to no longer be there.

Humans scare the **** out of me.

Have you tried Wyoming or South Dakota? 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

Have you tried Wyoming or South Dakota? 

The scariness of humans in a metro area is a function of population size and density - gather a lot of people together, pack them tightly, and even if a small fraction of the population is certifiable that's still a large absolute number, and the population density is enough that you have a high probability of interacting with a looney.

But Wyoming or South Dakota...lower size and density, but they attract loons.  Which means you not only have a higher per-interaction chance of running in to one, but have more direct interaction (since the looney can focus on fewer people, you get more of his attention.)

So bottom line: if you want to minimize your interaction with scary people, urban centers are better than deep rural areas.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The scariness of humans in a metro area is a function of population size and density - gather a lot of people together, pack them tightly, and even if a small fraction of the population is certifiable that's still a large absolute number, and the population density is enough that you have a high probability of interacting with a looney.

But Wyoming or South Dakota...lower size and density, but they attract loons.  Which means you not only have a higher per-interaction chance of running in to one, but have more direct interaction (since the looney can focus on fewer people, you get more of his attention.)

So bottom line: if you want to minimize your interaction with scary people, urban centers are better than deep rural areas.

I like your “math”. 

So where can one hide?  Any theories? 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I like your “math”. 

So where can one hide?  Any theories? 

I could do the math, if you really want.

And by "really want," I mean "pay me."  I'm not doing that sort of research without getting paid for it.