Ralph Wilson Quotes Himself While Firing John Butler

BuffaloRush

I'm found an old video of Ralph WIlson announcing the firing of John Butler back in 2000.  Wow talk about bizarre.  Rather than just announcing the firing like most owners would do, he instead reads the press release out loud to a group of reporters word-for-word.  But what is hilarious is that the press release actually contains a direct quote from Wilson himself.  So as he read, he actually quotes himself.  And when he reads the quote he says "That was me.  I said that."  LOL.

I think toward the end here, Ralph was kind of losing it by giving these kind of press conferences.  If you watch some of Ralph's other press conferences in later years, they aren't much better.  Granted he was an 80 year old man, but these type of appearances don't really portray the Bulls in a good light.  I also think, this is where the Bills started to get a negative reputation around the league.   See for yourself.  

• Haha (+1) 2

That was painful to watch. Mr Wilson gave us the Bills and I will choose to remember him during the SB era enjoying the fruits of his labor. It was during the mid to late 80’s I first got to meet Mr Wilson as a kid. He was always very kind to me and would remember who I was. I had no idea how special that was. I do now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What's the point?  These appearances don't portray the "bulls" in a good light?  How so?  The man has passed - what a very odd thread to start.  

It might indicate why the Bills have had 17 total winning seasons since 1970,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

It might indicate why the Bills have had 17 total winning seasons since 1970,

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What's the point?  These appearances don't portray the "bulls" in a good light?  How so?  The man has passed - what a very odd thread to start.  

What's the point - because it was a funny moment that I wanted to share.  Maybe you aren't aware but this is a Bills message board.   People share information about the team - past and present

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

What's the point - because it was a funny moment that I wanted to share.  Maybe you aren't aware but this is a Bills message board.   People share information about the team - past and present

It's funny to take jabs at the dead?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

It's funny to take jabs at the dead?

Sounds like you should find a "safe space" if you absolutely must find offense in something so innocuous.

If you are seriously offended by this, perhaps the internet is not for you.

Everyone (well, most everyone) respects what Ralph has done for the team, city, amd ultimately us. You have to admit there were some very strange happenings near the end. This was one of them. Reading a press release made up of almost exclusively quotes of yourself is wierd, he even read the "Wilson said" parts. Brutal. Perhaps thats why the Bills have gone the "one voice" route where Sean speaks for the franchise, since Terry is even less deft at public speaking than Rakph was.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I'm found an old video of Ralph WIlson announcing the firing of John Butler back in 2000.  Wow talk about bizarre.  Rather than just announcing the firing like most owners would do, he instead reads the press release out loud to a group of reporters word-for-word.  But what is hilarious is that the press release actually contains a direct quote from Wilson himself.  So as he read, he actually quotes himself.  And when he reads the quote he says "That was me.  I said that."  LOL.

I think toward the end here, Ralph was kind of losing it by giving these kind of press conferences.  If you watch some of Ralph's other press conferences in later years, they aren't much better.  Granted he was an 80 year old man, but these type of appearances don't really portray the Bulls in a good light.  I also think, this is where the Bills started to get a negative reputation around the league.   See for yourself.  

The Bills were hosed by ESPN when their buddy Tom Donahoe was canned.  They really took it to heart and made the Bills the Villain

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Still better and less embarrassing than Whaley's last presser.

THAT made the Bills a real laughing stock.

You have the Pegulas to blame for that. 

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills were hosed by ESPN when their buddy Tom Donahoe was canned.  They really took it to heart and made the Bills the Villain

This is a bit much. Do you have any evidence of this, or is this just more of the woe is me attitude that seems to permeate Buffalo and really WNY.

Ralph’s best years were those of the SB era.  Too bad he seemed to learn little from the time as the Bills organization regressed to the circus it was for most of the rest of its existence.  I keep wanting to believe that a corner has been turned under the Pegula’s but so far the results do not reflect this.

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You have the Pegulas to blame for that. 

No he was a grown man telling the world that he couldn't really describe what his duties as GM were at that point.

He was a fraud.  A guy from the Steelers personnel dept who should never been elevated to GM--least of all by a team as desperate for experience and good decision making as the Bills.