Jump to content
BuffaloRush

Ralph Wilson Quotes Himself While Firing John Butler

Recommended Posts

I'm found an old video of Ralph WIlson announcing the firing of John Butler back in 2000.  Wow talk about bizarre.  Rather than just announcing the firing like most owners would do, he instead reads the press release out loud to a group of reporters word-for-word.  But what is hilarious is that the press release actually contains a direct quote from Wilson himself.  So as he read, he actually quotes himself.  And when he reads the quote he says "That was me.  I said that."  LOL.

 

I think toward the end here, Ralph was kind of losing it by giving these kind of press conferences.  If you watch some of Ralph's other press conferences in later years, they aren't much better.  Granted he was an 80 year old man, but these type of appearances don't really portray the Bulls in a good light.  I also think, this is where the Bills started to get a negative reputation around the league.   See for yourself.  

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was painful to watch. Mr Wilson gave us the Bills and I will choose to remember him during the SB era enjoying the fruits of his labor. It was during the mid to late 80’s I first got to meet Mr Wilson as a kid. He was always very kind to me and would remember who I was. I had no idea how special that was. I do now. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the point?  These appearances don't portray the "bulls" in a good light?  How so?  The man has passed - what a very odd thread to start.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What's the point?  These appearances don't portray the "bulls" in a good light?  How so?  The man has passed - what a very odd thread to start.  

 

It might indicate why the Bills have had 17 total winning seasons since 1970,

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gugny said:

 

It might indicate why the Bills have had 17 total winning seasons since 1970,

 

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What's the point?  These appearances don't portray the "bulls" in a good light?  How so?  The man has passed - what a very odd thread to start.  

What's the point - because it was a funny moment that I wanted to share.  Maybe you aren't aware but this is a Bills message board.   People share information about the team - past and present

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

 

What's the point - because it was a funny moment that I wanted to share.  Maybe you aren't aware but this is a Bills message board.   People share information about the team - past and present

 

It's funny to take jabs at the dead?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Imagine if that press conference happened in this social media generation? He’d be the biggest laughing stock in the league.  No disrespect, I thank you Ralph, but wow.  That was brutal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, White Linen said:

 

It's funny to take jabs at the dead?

 

Are you seriously that up tight? This is funny.  I'm sure even Ralph would have a laugh about it if he were alive...and not senile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Didn't watch the video, don't care.

 

Posthumously disparaging Ralph Wilson when the team is still in Buffalo and coming off a classic Buffalo hometown win is distasteful and pointless to me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still better and less embarrassing than Whaley's last presser.

 

THAT made the Bills a real laughing stock.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, White Linen said:

 

It's funny to take jabs at the dead?

 

Sounds like you should find a "safe space" if you absolutely must find offense in something so innocuous.

 

If you are seriously offended by this, perhaps the internet is not for you.

 

Everyone (well, most everyone) respects what Ralph has done for the team, city, amd ultimately us. You have to admit there were some very strange happenings near the end. This was one of them. Reading a press release made up of almost exclusively quotes of yourself is wierd, he even read the "Wilson said" parts. Brutal. Perhaps thats why the Bills have gone the "one voice" route where Sean speaks for the franchise, since Terry is even less deft at public speaking than Rakph was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I'm found an old video of Ralph WIlson announcing the firing of John Butler back in 2000.  Wow talk about bizarre.  Rather than just announcing the firing like most owners would do, he instead reads the press release out loud to a group of reporters word-for-word.  But what is hilarious is that the press release actually contains a direct quote from Wilson himself.  So as he read, he actually quotes himself.  And when he reads the quote he says "That was me.  I said that."  LOL.

 

I think toward the end here, Ralph was kind of losing it by giving these kind of press conferences.  If you watch some of Ralph's other press conferences in later years, they aren't much better.  Granted he was an 80 year old man, but these type of appearances don't really portray the Bulls in a good light.  I also think, this is where the Bills started to get a negative reputation around the league.   See for yourself.  

 

 

The Bills were hosed by ESPN when their buddy Tom Donahoe was canned.  They really took it to heart and made the Bills the Villain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Still better and less embarrassing than Whaley's last presser.

 

THAT made the Bills a real laughing stock.

 

You have the Pegulas to blame for that. 

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills were hosed by ESPN when their buddy Tom Donahoe was canned.  They really took it to heart and made the Bills the Villain

 

This is a bit much. Do you have any evidence of this, or is this just more of the woe is me attitude that seems to permeate Buffalo and really WNY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wow.  Imagine if that press conference happened in this social media generation? He’d be the biggest laughing stock in the league.  No disrespect, I thank you Ralph, but wow.  That was brutal 

 

But was he privy?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Still better and less embarrassing than Whaley's last presser.

 

THAT made the Bills a real laughing stock.

Can someone post a link to this I want to laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph’s best years were those of the SB era.  Too bad he seemed to learn little from the time as the Bills organization regressed to the circus it was for most of the rest of its existence.  I keep wanting to believe that a corner has been turned under the Pegula’s but so far the results do not reflect this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>

"We are giving Jim a Black Truck"

never a better speech from Ralphie.....broke up the whole crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

 

You have the Pegulas to blame for that. 

 

 

No he was a grown man telling the world that he couldn't really describe what his duties as GM were at that point.

 

He was a fraud.  A guy from the Steelers personnel dept who should never been elevated to GM--least of all by a team as desperate for experience and good decision making as the Bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a huge RW fan, but a few years after this PC, it was Commissioner Tagliabue pushing a new CBA on the owners. Ralph (and Mike Brown) both voted against it and were roundly criticized for having done so. I remember calling him into question myself. 

 

About 2 years later, ownership opted out of that CBA early.  In this regard, RW was correct to oppose the 2006 CBA.

 

Every public figure is evaluated, fairly or unfairly, based on how they speak. I have no doubt RW was doing the best he could back then, but octogenarian humans aren't at the top of their game. The man made some terrible decisions and some good ones. I would let it be.

Edited by BillsVet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

Didn't watch the video, don't care.

 

Posthumously disparaging Ralph Wilson when the team is still in Buffalo and coming off a classic Buffalo hometown win is distasteful and pointless to me

There are some bottom feeders around here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is funny.  Could be a SNL skit!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

Didn't watch the video, don't care.

 

Posthumously disparaging Ralph Wilson when the team is still in Buffalo and coming off a classic Buffalo hometown win is distasteful and pointless to me

 

If anyone deserves posthumous disparaging, it's Ralph Wilson. I quit spending money on the Bills (tickets, gear, etc.) for the last 10 years of his life for a reason.

 

He was THE worst owner in the league for the last decade of his existence, and it's not even close.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×