Ideally, this is how the next 6 months play out regarding team & QB

Obviously the most ideal is that we make a playoff run and win a Super Bowl, but I don't think ANYONE believes that will happen.  I don't... I'm hoping, obviously, but don't even remotely think it happens.

so... we're left with this... and I think this is the way things would ideally play out in McBeane's mind

Bills win out or win 2 of their next 3 games and make the playoffs to get that monkey off our back

Giants win a couple games to get to 4 or 5 wins and the Colts lose all of their remaining games. 

Colts left with #2 draft pick while Giants fall to #3.

Bills trade up on draft day with the Colts for the #2 pick to get Darnold/Rosen OR (and this is a pipe dream) we trade for Luck somehow.

Yes, I realize if we trade up for Darnold/Rosen, we're giving them 2 firsts this year, a first next year and probably another draft pick or two.  If those 2 QBs are as advertised, that's fine.

Yes, I realize that if we trade up for Luck, we're going to have to probably give away EVEN MORE draft picks.  If Andrew Luck is healthy, that's fine.

If it's Rosen/Darnold, we probably keep Taylor who competes/starts the beginning of 2018 with one of those guys set to take the reins during the year of in 2019.

We have our QB for the next 15 years

If it's Luck, I wonder if we package Taylor in there with a trade and try to accomplish that in the first 4 or 5 days of the new league year when whatever bonus doesn't kick in, yet.

We have a generational franchise-changer for the next decade, at least... hopefully.

Anyway, regardless, now that the 49ers look like they're falling precipitously in the draft with Jimmy G helping them win, looks like we're rooting for the Colts to lose and the Giants to win... so we helped ourselves out in a couple different ways on Sunday  :flirt:

7 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Transplant

Tyrod makes way too much money to be the backup qb on this team sir.

I think this is his last year in Buffalo.

....identical scenario to Fitzy....he was due a BIG salary in upcoming year and Brandon asked him to restructure for back up money....he said, "I will get starter money somewhere" and away he went...

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

If we trade up for a QB, jettison TT and use his money to sign some OL.

He's a waste of a roster spot if we get another QB.

I don't think this is what'll happen.

Taylor's contract is set up pretty much perfectly as a bridge contract for a rookie QB to come in and learn on the bench for a bit before taking the reins sometime during the 2018 season or in 2019 when the Bills can part ways with Taylor with no financial hardship, whatsoever.

From what I understand, if the Bills cut Taylor, they're going to still take a $6-$8 million CAP hit whereas if they keep him it's something like a $15-$16 million CAP hit.  I'm not looking at those numbers so anyone can correct me because I'm sure they're off.  Regardless, the point is that the money they save by cutting him is probably less than $10 million and then you'll have to go out and get another QB for the team and you'll probably pay him $5-$6 million.

So, $4-$5 million leftover just so you can get your OL?

I actually just learned about more about his contract last night from another poster here.  Before I thought Taylor was pretty likely not going to be here next year, but from the way I understand it now, it was created largely with the intention of using him as a bridge to the next QB we get in the draft.

I know some are just going to emotionally scream that Taylor needs to be off the roster in 2018, but I think there's a pretty high likelihood he's here if McBeane is planning on grabbing our future franchise QB in the draft.

If they plan on Luck or a guy like Cousins as our future, they'll find a way to deal Taylor I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Transplant

Agree with this. I think Peterman will be in the QB competition with the draft pick whoever it may be. Unless they do somehow land Luck in this scenario,then obviously Peterman would be the back up. I don't see Tyrod here at all next season, starting or back up.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Transplant

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

JfH is correct TT will be too expensive as a backup and it would cause an issue the moment the next starter has a hiccup.  

Nah, just look at what Andy Reid and the Chiefs are doing with Alex Smith & Patrick Mahomes.  Same blueprint.

The cost of keeping Taylor while a rookie comes in and has pressure taken off his shoulders is pretty minimal when you factor everything in.

I realize that emotionally everyone will just want a clean slate, but just prepare yourself for a good chance of Taylor still being here next year with the future guy waiting in the wings.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't think this is what'll happen.

Taylor's contract is set up pretty much perfectly as a bridge contract for a rookie QB to come in and learn on the bench for a bit before taking the reins sometime during the 2018 season or in 2019 when the Bills can part ways with Taylor with no financial hardship, whatsoever.

From what I understand, if the Bills cut Taylor, they're going to still take a $6-$8 million CAP hit whereas if they keep him it's something like a $15-$16 million CAP hit.  I'm not looking at those numbers so anyone can correct me because I'm sure they're off.  Regardless, the point is that the money they save by cutting him is probably less than $10 million and then you'll have to go out and get another QB for the team and you'll probably pay him $5-$6 million.

So, $4-$5 million leftover just so you can get your OL?

I actually just learned about more about his contract last night from another poster here.  Before I thought Taylor was pretty likely not going to be here next year, but from the way I understand it now, it was created largely with the intention of using him as a bridge to the next QB we get in the draft.

I know some are just going to emotionally scream that Taylor needs to be off the roster in 2018, but I think there's a pretty high likelihood he's here if McBeane is planning on grabbing our future franchise QB in the draft.

If they plan on Luck or a guy like Cousins as our future, they'll find a way to deal Taylor I'm sure.

Why do we need to spend $5M on a backup QB? What kind of nonsense is that?

TT is not the perfect "bridge" because that's a fancy way of saying overpaid, expensive backup. I want his money used on a guy who actually plays and will make our team and new QB better.

$5M or $6M for a starting OL better than Ducasse or Mills would be a nice start.

• Like (+1) 3

....strictly opinion, but I don't see this gang burning substantial draft capital to move up for their QB......see them as more conservative with their picks and perhaps looking at Rulolph in the 2nd.....some mocks have him falling into the 2nd, but I don't get to see college ball and don't know if that is a legitimate forecast............

16 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Transplant

agree. do not see him in a bills uni next season. don't see any type of trade for luck either. could either be cousins brought in and they pass on drafting a QB (which would piss many fans off) and keep peterman as a back up? or they do draft one and he sits behind the starter, who ever that may end up being?

anyone's guess at this point but I really see no future for taylor on this roster.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Why do we need to spend $5M on a backup QB? What kind of nonsense is that?

TT is not the perfect "bridge" because that's a fancy way of saying overpaid, expensive backup. I want his money used on a guy who actually plays and will make our team and new QB better.

$5M or $6M for a starting OL better than Ducasse or Mills would be a nice start.

Fine, $2-$4 million, whatever it costs.  Back in 2014 the Cap hit for a backup QB in the NFL averaged over $2 million.  The Cap hit will be what matters regarding signing other players like the OL.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-quarterbacks-salary-cap-hits-2014-10

So factor whatever money you need to get your backup... it's there.

Not surprisingly I suppose this is turning into a Taylor discussion.

He's here.

He's not here.

Who cares?

The other stuff is what I'd like to see happen, anyway, and it starts with the Colts losing in TNF tomorrow against the Texans!!!

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Fine, $2-$4 million, whatever it costs.  Back in 2014 the Cap hit for a backup QB in the NFL averaged over $2 million.  The Cap hit will be what matters regarding signing other players like the OL.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-quarterbacks-salary-cap-hits-2014-10

So factor whatever money you need to get your backup... it's there.

If you spend $2M on a backup QB, (again you don't have to, EJ is making $800k) that leaves $8M for an OL. That's top ten OG money AAV.

Top ten OG > Tyrod paid $15M to play catch on the sidelines.

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Nah, just look at what Andy Reid and the Chiefs are doing with Alex Smith & Patrick Mahomes.  Same blueprint.

The cost of keeping Taylor while a rookie comes in and has pressure taken off his shoulders is pretty minimal when you factor everything in.

I realize that emotionally everyone will just want a clean slate, but just prepare yourself for a good chance of Taylor still being here next year with the future guy waiting in the wings.

I thought the reference was that TT was the backup ergo my comment.  

As a starter I’d get it ,,, not that I’d enjoy it.   

20 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Transplant

I suppose anything is possible....you and I have been some of the strongest supporters for Tyrod over these recent years.

I gotta bow out on it.....its not that I dont think Tyrod is not a NFL player because I absolutely think he is.....its that the situation has just changed and the coaches no longer seem to want to biuld a team around his strengths.

Since that is the case...why would they pay millions of dollars for a QB that does not fit their system or parlay to the strengths of the players that they are putting into place......LAST YEARS OFFENSE was biult more for Taylor....if we had continued on with that I would be much more staunch in my defense of TT.

Quick timing throws

Accuracy

Working from the Pocket

Putting the ball into anticipation windows to possession receivers

These seem to be the direction the offense is going.   They have already benched Tyrod once this year so why would they pay the guy the millions he is scheduled to make and just get the qb they want going into the offseason...that seems like a much more rational plan now that they have made the moves they have made.

I think the bills are going after Cousins or using a boat load of picks to get into a position to get THEIR qb........and I think they like Nate Peterman.......

43 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

JfH is correct TT will be too expensive as a backup and it would cause an issue the moment the next starter has a hiccup.  

If we draft one, 16 mil for an experienced backup aint bad. Keep him at that cost. If we get silly and try for cousins...peterman is the 2 as it will be cost prohibited to do both