Who agrees with me that this should be the 2018 OL?

njbuff

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Counting on Cordy to be healthy seems like a bad plan at this point. His mysterious foot/ankle situation is mind boggling. It seems like he’s been day to day, week to week all season. Dawkins is encouraging, and much cheaper...not to mention available to actually play. I’m not a hater, but I’m frustrated for sure. 

Yeah, Cordy's had some great games for us, and locking him up with a new deal made sense to me at the time, but he needs to show some serious offseason rehab and come back strong in training camp or he's a goner.   Hope we can find another Dawkins type talent in the next draft, he's going to be a pro bowler every year starting 2018 season.

For some reason the Bills can not find a RT. They need to draft a RT out of college to play RT.

i also think they need an Incognito replacement. Richie started to show his age this year. I don’t think he has a lot left. 

Trade Glenn for a second rounder . I hate saying this but if Glenn doesn’t want to be with the Bills get what you can for him. He is a UGA guy and I am a UGA fan. I loved it when he was drafter and think he is a very solid LT. This season has been so strange in regards to his injuries. I almost feel as if we don’t know he entire story. 

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty good core group....Wood would be a viable backup to Groy, but will be around 6 mil to do so....don't see Vlad on the roster......Mills needs work......go back to two veteran adages I've quoted numerous times, but I think they're still accurate....GM Marv went with the "older than dirt" philosophy of "building from the ball out"........only problem was he had "spoiled beef" with Dockery, Langston, etc.......Cowher said, "THE most important UNIT on a football team is the OL......if they break down, all else fails"......these guys become a UNIT by continuity and cohesiveness.....multiple changes bump you back to square one....a TOP priority is an OL Coach.....9-Juan-Juan Castillo needs to be on the next Greyhound out...

Mills needs work?  Hopefully in another city that values turnstiles.

Just curious why Richie is on everyone's list as an absolute.  He has been average this year.  Would be difficult to replace both guards but I would not be shocked if Richie is a salary cap cut. 

A new RG will make Wood look much better.  

I hope there is a way Glenn can get and stay healthy.  We have no idea if Dawkins can play RT as he could not beat out Mills.  

If they keep Incognito then I would approach the off-season like this

If Glenn is healthy, then sign a FA RG , add a late round C/G, and use most early draft picks on QB, DL and LB

If Glenn is cut, then take a first round OT, sign a middle of the road RG(still an upgrade over Ducasse), and use the remaining picks on DL, QB, and LB.

All that said, I agree the most likely scenario for 2018: Glenn, Incognito, Wood, FA, Dawkins

I would consider Groy at RG or Eric Wood at RG and then drafting a guard in rounds 3-5 to understudy for a year or two to take over for IcCog or at RG. I think it is a lot to ask for a rookie to start at guard. It's one thing if a veteran underperforms and a rookie performs well and takes over a position. But it is a bad idea to burn a high draft choice at a position that has been a bit of a crap shoot in the draft lately. I would rather shuffle around the veterans that already exist on the roster. Then draft younger players behind them as immediate depth and to take over for veterans after riding the bench for a year or two where they can polish up their skills a bit before being asked to start. 

I also think that the draft picks in the first two rounds would be better served at other positions along the roster. CB, DT, LB, WR, TE, and DE are all possible pressing needs along the roster that the team's premium picks could be better served filling. 

31 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Just curious why Richie is on everyone's list as an absolute.  He has been average this year.  Would be difficult to replace both guards but I would not be shocked if Richie is a salary cap cut. 

A new RG will make Wood look much better.  

I hope there is a way Glenn can get and stay healthy.  We have no idea if Dawkins can play RT as he could not beat out Mills.  

If they keep Incognito then I would approach the off-season like this

If Glenn is healthy, then sign a FA RG , add a late round C/G, and use most early draft picks on QB, DL and LB

If Glenn is cut, then take a first round OT, sign a middle of the road RG(still an upgrade over Ducasse), and use the remaining picks on DL, QB, and LB.

All that said, I agree the most likely scenario for 2018: Glenn, Incognito, Wood, FA, Dawkins

I think InCog is not the pro-bowl level player he has been the past two seasons. But he certainly still is a capable player and I think that his positive influence in the locker room is also a plus. I think fans feel as though InCog could have one more capable year in him and hold down that positon while a player is drafted in the mid to late rounds behind him. 

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

It should be..................

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

C Groy

RG 2018 draft pick (anywhere from rounds 2-5)

RT Dawkins

This sounds so simple that even a caveman can do it.

Wood isn't the same player any more and Groy deserves his shot to be a starter as he filled admirably for Wood at the end of 2016 when would was injured.

Vlad and Mills could be viable backups. They are not starter material and with them on the right side, it really derails what the team can do offensively.

Dawkins is one of the 5 best OLmen on the team easily and should be out there.

Glenn is a premier LT when healthy and this team should give him a chance to get healthy for 2018 to show what he can before trading him off.

There are some good G prospects in this draft and the Bills should/could be able to get a solid starter anywhere from rounds 2-5.

FA can help bring in a back up C. Wood needs to be released, as it saves the team a little cap room in the process with Wood's declining play.

What do you think?

Like it except your problems with Wood. He's still playing very well, IMHO. I keep hoping they put Groy at RG but for some reason they're resisting that. Maybe he doesn't resemble their vision for an RG?

I agree that I hope they keep Cordy and that Dawkins will play as well at RT as he has at LT.

Depends what they think of Glenn's health.  For me Dawkins is NOT a right tackle.  He is naturally much more comfortable with left sided movements.  I think he has much more T/G versatility than L/R versatility. So slide him in at LG as Richie's long term successor and move Richie to the right (where he has played before) for his final season here.  So for me If Glenn is healthy I'd go:

LT - Glenn

LG - Dawkins

C - Groy

RG - Incognito

RT - ??

A guy like Braden Smith (Auburn) or Tyrell Crosby (Oregon) would fit in great as starters right away.

Other guys like A.Corbett (Nevada), C.Gossett (App St) and S.Welsh (Iowa) would be other guys who could add depth and develop on the interior line too.

Incognito is not young, Wood is average and Ducasse/Mills is not working.

Dawkins is the LT of the future.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends what they think of Glenn's health.  For me Dawkins is NOT a right tackle.  He is naturally much more comfortable with left sided movements.  I think he has much more T/G versatility than L/R versatility. So slide him in at LG as Richie's long term successor and move Richie to the right (where he has played before) for his final season here.  So for me If Glenn is healthy I'd go:

LT - Glenn

LG - Dawkins

C - Groy

RG - Incognito

RT - ??

Interesting perspective.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

LT - Glenn

LG - Dawkins

C - Groy

RG - Incognito

RT - Connor McDermott

They're holding onto him for a reason. Give him a full offseason with us and I think he takes it.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They're holding onto him for a reason. Give him a full offseason with us and I think he takes it.

I can absolutely see that Hokie.  I think he fits the mould of what they want. His feet concerned me coming out but he has some of the physical tools, no doubt about it.