Former Chiefs' RB Larry Johnson Believes He Has CTE

26CornerBlitz

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I think it'll take about 50 years. 

I figure a lot of people who are just starting to have kids now will be the first generation to really hold their kids back from playing football. That decision will be felt in 20 or so years. Then that generation does the same thing, I think the league will be on really unstable ground.

When you think about how much was learned about head injuries over the past 10 years, it'll be crazy to imagine anyone playing in 50 years once you imagine how much more they'll know about the effects of playing football.

Think about tobacco. A lot of the science behind the effects of smoking came out in the 60s. In the 60s, about 42% of Americans smoked. Now, only about 16% smoke which is a decrease of about 60%.

If that happens to NFL participation over a 50 year span, the NFL is finished.

That will never happen in the inner city...

football and basketball are their way out of the ghetto.

kids will always grow up and dream of playing college ball and making it to the league 

they don't care about CTE

and college football is KING in he south

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

That will never happen in the inner city...

football and basketball are their way out of the ghetto.

kids will always grow up and dream of playing college and making it to the league 

they don't care about CTE

and college football is KING in he south

Things will change over time.

At some point kids and parents will say, I'm not going to play the sport that will give me lasting brain damage and shorten my life. I'll try something else. 

This is sad to hear about Larry. He was a boss.

unfortunately I suspect that the majority of high level football players have head trauma or CTE

i lost my collegiate career because of concussions and know what constant head trauma can do 

depression, migraines, mood swings, anger , confusion.

I am definitely going to donate my brain when I pass because I would like my family to know if there is any trauma or CTE which I suspect 

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Crazy story

Not really. Approximately 90% of all football players test positive for CTE. 

What's scary, is that Larry Johnson is only 38 years old and this is a degenerative disease that will get worse over time. 

Edited by jrober38

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Not really. Approximately 90% of all football players test positive for CTE. 

What's scary, is that Larry Johnson is only 38 years old and this is a degenerative disease that will get worse over time. 

I understand CTE is very common with football players, but its still crazy to hear what he has to deal with every single day

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I understand CTE is very common with football players, but its still crazy to hear what he has to deal with every single day

And it's only going to get worse for him. As he prophesizes, he probably won't know his own name when he's 50. 

These stories are going to become more and more common as players from the 90s and 2000s begin to die in their 40s and 50s. 

As more and more of these stories surface, football participation will inevitably decline. 

Edited by jrober38

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

This is sad to hear about Larry. He was a boss.

unfortunately I suspect that the majority of high level football players have head trauma or CTE

i lost my collegiate career because of concussions and know what constant head trauma can do 

depression, migraines, mood swings, anger , confusion.

I am definitely going to donate my brain when I pass because I would like my family to know if there is any trauma or CTE which I suspect 

Sorry to hear buddy! Hope things improve for you

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

And it's only going to get worse for him. As he prophesizes, he probably won't know his own name when he's 50. 

These stories are going to become more and more common as players from the 90s and 2000s begin to die in their 40s and 50s. 

As more and more of these stories surface, football participation will inevitably decline. 

Ya that's really scary.

I really paid attention to the Aaron Hernandez story all the way to his death.

After reading about him being diagnosed with stage 4 CTE, I really wonder how much that influenced his psychotic behaviour. (Obviously still no excuse to kill people)

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Speaking in definitive terms about something that is in the elementary stages of discovery is sloppy. Do I think football is healthy for the long term well being? No. Does anyone know the direct impact of football yet? No.

Larry Johnson won't know his name by 50 but yet many NFL players do know their own name, and everyone else's in the NFL. Is anyone going to argue Larry Johnson had more repeated head trauma than Chris Spielman?

How about we stop taking what one player proposes as gospel and we wait until there is more information available. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya that's really scary.

After reading about him being diagnosed with stage 4 CTE, I really wonder how much that influenced his psychotic behaviour. (Obviously still no excuse to kill people)

It makes you wonder about tons of young NFL players. Think of all the guys who cite depression as the reason they act out and fail drug tests due to smoking marijuana. Maybe it's not all their fault. 

Chris Henry the former Bengals WR had CTE. He had numerous off the field issues.

Aaron Hernandez had one of the worst cases of CTE for someone his age. Everyone knows his story. 

Josh Gordon has been a mess off the field. What if he has it?

Marcel Dareus? Considering the position he plays and his style, would anyone doubt him having it?

When 90% of the people studied have CTE, it really makes you wonder how much it affects some of the NFLs players who have had constant off the field behavioural issues. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Sorry to hear buddy! Hope things improve for you

Ya that's really scary.

Thanks bud

Those days were long enough in the past and my concussion problems have gotten better as time goes on

when I was 20 and was no longer medically cleared to play collegiality because of 8+ concussions I was devastated and angry

but I also was messed up because the concussions 

it took me years to see that

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Speaking in definitive terms about something that is in the elementary stages of discovery is sloppy. Do I think football is healthy for the long term well being? No. Does anyone know the direct impact of football yet? No.

Larry Johnson won't know his name by 50 but yet many NFL players do know their own name, and everyone else's in the NFL. Is anyone going to argue Larry Johnson had more repeated head trauma than Chris Spielman?

How about we stop taking what one player proposes as gospel and we wait until there is more information available. 

What are you talking about? CTE is caused by repeated blows to the head, which is a direct result of playing football. 

The symptoms vary for people diagnosed with CTE. Some display no symptoms, and some have brains that don't properly function by the time they're 30 years old. It's not a one size fits all thing. 

Edited by jrober38

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It makes you wonder about tons of young NFL players. Think of all the guys who cite depression as the reason they act out and fail drug tests due to smoking marijuana. Maybe it's not all their fault. 

Chris Henry the former Bengals WR had CTE. He had numerous off the field issues.

Aaron Hernandez had one of the worst cases of CTE for someone his age. Everyone knows his story. 

Josh Gordon has been a mess off the field. What if he has it?

Marcel Dareus? Considering the position he plays and his style, would anyone doubt him having it?

When 90% of the people studied have CTE, it really makes you wonder how much it affects some of the NFLs players who have had constant off the field behavioural issues. 

Ya you make all good points

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thanks bud

Those days were long enough in the past and my concussion problems have gotten better as time goes on

when I was 20 and was no longer medically cleared to play collegiality because of 8+ concussions I was devastated and angry

but I also was messed up because the concussions 

it took me years to see that

Good to hear sir! 

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What are you talking about? CTE is caused by repeated blows to the head, which is a direct result of playing football. 

The symptoms vary for people diagnosed with CTE. Some display no symptoms, and some have brains that don't properly function by the time they're 30 years old. It's not a one size fits all thing. 

Oh yikes. Just two months ago a group was reported to be able to diagnose CTE in living humans yet you already know so much.

perhaps they will perform their due diligence and take into account PED's, narcotics, the repeated trauma, and come to a more definitive conclusion in say...the next decade.