Former Chiefs' RB Larry Johnson Believes He Has CTE

26CornerBlitz

It's sad for these guys!  However, I'll bet that none of them would trade their careers and money they have made even if they knew the consequences of getting CTE could happen.

The NFL must have legal that they are playing at their own risk and and it's the players liability.

39 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

It's sad for these guys!  However, I'll bet that none of them would trade their careers and money they have made even if they knew the consequences of getting CTE could happen.

The NFL must have legal that they are playing at their own risk and and it's the players liability.

I’ll bet there is more than one guy questioning whether the trade off is worth it.  These guys have kids and lives.  Many of the individuals afflicted may also not have made that much money from their NFL careers.  We tend to think of all of them as getting rich from playing but many do not.  

1 minute ago, rodneykm said:

The NFL as we know it today will not exist in the next 20 to 30 years - if at all. 

Totally agree, but I dont think it will take anywhere as long as 30 years.

The NFL is dying on many levels.

Just wait when a class action lawsuit is filed on behalf of former college football players against their universities.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

The NFL as we know it today will not exist in the next 20 to 30 years - if at all. 

yeah. it will exist but there will be some major changes.  More and more people are suggesting that kids don't start tackling until 14 - 15 yrs old.  And then not even in practice. 

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, rodneykm said:

I think it'll take about 50 years. 

I figure a lot of people who are just starting to have kids now will be the first generation to really hold their kids back from playing football. That decision will be felt in 20 or so years. Then that generation does the same thing, I think the league will be on really unstable ground.

When you think about how much was learned about head injuries over the past 10 years, it'll be crazy to imagine anyone playing in 50 years once you imagine how much more they'll know about the effects of playing football.

Think about tobacco. A lot of the science behind the effects of smoking came out in the 60s. In the 60s, about 42% of Americans smoked. Now, only about 16% smoke which is a decrease of about 60%.

If that happens to NFL participation over a 50 year span, the NFL is finished.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think it'll take about 50 years. 

I figure a lot of people who are just starting to have kids now will be the first generation to really hold their kids back from playing football. That decision will be felt in 20 or so years. Then that generation does the same thing, I think the league will be on really unstable ground.

When you think about how much was learned about head injuries over the past 10 years, it'll be crazy to imagine anyone playing in 50 years once you imagine how much more they'll know about the effects of playing football.

Think about tobacco. A lot of the science behind the effects of smoking came out in the 60s. In the 60s, about 42% of Americans smoked. Now, only about 16% smoke which is a decrease of about 60%.

If that happens to NFL participation over a 50 year span, the NFL is finished.

I am in high school football crazy Texas.  10 years ago there was maybe one parent I knew that wouldn't let their kid play football and they were very quiet about it not to be scorned, now it is about half and some are reticent to admit they do let their kids play.

It is coming quicker than people realize.

Watch some states outlaw football on the high school level or at least deny state/municipal funding, probably starts in Mass, NY or Conn.

NFL has clearly peaked, no doubt about it.  Just wait for next year season tickets sales and see how crowded some of these stadiums are.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am in high school football crazy Texas.  10 years ago there was maybe one parent I knew that wouldn't let their kid play football and they were very quiet about it not to be scorned, now it is about half and some are reticent to admit they do let their kids play.

It is coming quicker than people realize

It's a generation thing. I imagine a good chunk of parents will hold their kids out now, which will water down the sport in 15-20 years. These are probably parents who have kids under the age of 10.  Once a kid gets to the age of 10+, you can probably tell who the elite athletes are and the dream of making it to the NFL becomes a fantasy a lot of parents want to see their kids try and live. 

The parallels between tobacco and football are very real. You have an industry that did nothing but deny, deny, deny for years, and when the science became impossible to ignore, the industry experienced a steady decline. Tobacco went through this for the past 50 years, and the NFL just began their decline about 5 years ago. 

If NFL participation drops by 50%, as you have a generation of players from the 90s and 2000s dying in their 40s and 50s, at some point parents are going to stand up in mass and say enough is enough, let's play basketball, let's play soccer, let's play baseball. Let's play anything where my decision to let my son participate doesn't directly lead to them having severe brain trauma. 

Edited by jrober38

12 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's a generation thing. I imagine a good chunk of parents will hold their kids out now, which will water down the sport in 15-20 years. These are probably parents who have kids under the age of 10.  Once a kid gets to the age of 10+, you can probably tell who the elite athletes are and the dream of making it to the NFL becomes a fantasy a lot of parents want to see their kids try and live. 

The parallels between tobacco and football are very real. You have an industry that did nothing but deny, deny, deny for years, and when the science became impossible to ignore, the industry experienced a steady decline. Tobacco went through this for the past 50 years, and the NFL just began their decline about 5 years ago. 

If NFL participation drops by 50%, as you have a generation of players from the 90s and 2000s dying in their 40s and 50s, at some point parents are going to stand up in mass and say enough is enough, let's play basketball, let's play soccer, let's play baseball. Let's play anything where my decision to let my son participate doesn't directly lead to them having severe brain trauma. 

Participation is just one factor.

NFL is losing its appeal on many levels. I think you will really notice it next year when people dont renew season tickets, many are showing up for games this year they have a;leady paid for. TV ratings way down 2nd yr in a row.

Games suck, if you dont have a franchise QB you have  close to zero chance, way too many penalties, way too many games decided by refs, absurd rules like what is a catch, too many commercials, NFL clearly over saturated (this will be it for Thursday might football), then on top of all that  you have the anthem thing.

Also waiting on more lawsuits, lawsuits at the college and even high school level eventually, just too much $ involved.  Then you will have politicians getting involved and saving our childern not funding or outlawing football on the high school and college level.

Game is we know it is doomed it my opinion, great ready for touch football.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Participation is just one factor.

NFL is losing its appeal on many levels. I think you will really notice it next year when people dont renew season tickets, many are showing up for games this year they have a;leady paid for. TV ratings way down 2nd yr in a row.

Games suck, if you dont have a franchise QB you have  close to zero chance, way too many penalties, way too many games decided by refs, absurd rules like what is a catch, too many commercials, NFL clearly over saturated (this will be it for Thursday might football), then on top of all that  you have the anthem thing.

Also waiting on more lawsuits, lawsuits at the college and even high school level eventually, just too much $ involved.  Then you will have politicians getting involved and saving our childern not funding or outlawing football on the high school and college level.

Game is we know it is doomed it my opinion, great ready for touch football.

I agree.

Aside from the Bills games I can't watch the NFL anymore. Too many penalties, too many pauses, too many commercials, too much time commitment, not enough quality from the product. 

My NFL viewership has steadily declined over the past 7 years and will likely continue to do so. I have family season tickets and I usually go to 4-5 games a year. This year I went to 2. My interest just isn't where it used to be. 

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Most former NFL players have CTE. 

Humans aren't meant to play football. 

Certainly not in the way it is currently played.

Running backs shouldn't play in the NFL longer than two or three full-time seasons. These guys playing into their 30's are insane.

As long as America has a poverty problem, we will have a football problem. People talk about kids being held out and this and that, sure that happens. Most of those parents are white, affluent parents. They aren't producing kids with the combination of talent and desperation that creates a lot of the prospects out of the South imo.

And this is not to sweep it under the rug, I think it's a real problem. However, their are a lot of people who will look the other way if they think their kid is good enough to do it. And a lot of adults will look the other way if they think they can buy their mom a new house, or find life changing wealth. Listen to Mike Mitchell last week. 

Larry Johnson seems like a nut job. I'm not doubting the existence of CTE, but he comes across as a guy who doesn't want to be held accountable for his actions and someone put this excuse in his head. He's been arrested six times, and it was happening while he was playing. It's awful, and probably wrong to an extent, but I just have a hard time believing someone who has been arrested as much as he has for what he has. It's just has a convenience to it, that this can be all explained away due to CTE. I'm failing at articulating my point well because it is a difficult line to walk. I don't want to come across as someone who doesn't believe in CTE, I just think when you get a guy like Larry Johnson saying all of this stuff, I start to question Larry Johnson's motives. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I’ll bet there is more than one guy questioning whether the trade off is worth it.  These guys have kids and lives.  Many of the individuals afflicted may also not have made that much money from their NFL careers.  We tend to think of all of them as getting rich from playing but many do not.  

Every single player makes this calculation every week and off season. with almost zero exceptions each year, they enthusiastically choose to continue playing.

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Jim worked at a biotech company I joined in Cleveland.  7 years NFL linebacker.  MD, JD.  Bright, nice guy, needless to say.  61 years old and still successful.  Does he have CTE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kovach

I bet his brain biopsy, right now, would confirm the same tau proteins all of the other brains have shown.

The problem is that so few of the former players develop an actual neurological disease to be matched to a physical finding.

Edited by Mr. WEO