CHEifs over chargers?

The juice

In terms of the Bills playoffs, yeah, a Chiefs victory is probably the best thing for the Bills. Given that there is likely to be a log jam at 9-7 the Bills head to head win vs. the Chiefs won't come into play. It only matters if they end up the only two teams tied for a WC spot (it would also come into play if ALL the tied teams have played each other but that won't be the case.) The Chiefs win any tiebreaker in which more than two teams are tied because of their vastly superior strength of victory (due to their wins vs. the Pats and Eagles.)

The same thing, but opposite, applies to the Chargers. Sure, if the Bills end up tied with the Chargers and nobody else, the head to head comes into play. But if it's more than just those two it looks like the Bills would likely win the tiebreaker due to either better conference record or strength of victory. 

• Like (+1) 3

Assuming the Ravens win out with their easy schedule:

Looks like if the Chargers lose to KC and then win out AND the Titans beat either the Rams or 49ers but lose to the Jags we would win the three-way tie there. 

In that same situation except the Chargers beat KC, KC has the tiebreaker in the three-way tie there. If the Titans lose out, we would obviously have the head-to-head over the Chiefs.

Hard to say which scenario is preferable right now, but we are looking for either Tennessee to lose and the Chiefs win or Tennessee wins and the Chiefs lose. Otherwise we'll need the Ravens to lose to either the Colts or Bengals to kick the three-way tiebreakers back in. However in no practical scenario can the Titans beat the Jags. Don't think they can anyhow.

The confusion over this game is understandable.

If you look at tie-breaking rules with these 2 teams and ONLY the Bills it works out like this at 9-7.

If tied with LAC we would lose out because of Head to Head (LAC beat us).

If tied with KC we would win because of Head to Head (Bills beat KC).

The odds of us and either KC or LAC are slim because of the Titans/Ravens and possibly Raiders being 9-7.

That being said, the tie-breaking rules are different with 3 or more teams tied at 9-7.

The possible scenarios of win-loss-tie with 3 games remaining and multi teams involved are huge.

The MUST is a Bills win. 

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

In terms of the Bills playoffs, yeah, a Chiefs victory is probably the best thing for the Bills. Given that there is likely to be a log jam at 9-7 the Bills head to head win vs. the Chiefs won't come into play. It only matters if they end up the only two teams tied for a WC spot (it would also come into play if ALL the tied teams have played each other but that won't be the case.) The Chiefs win any tiebreaker in which more than two teams are tied because of their vastly superior strength of victory (due to their wins vs. the Pats and Eagles.)

The same thing, but opposite, applies to the Chargers. Sure, if the Bills end up tied with the Chargers and nobody else, the head to head comes into play. But if it's more than just those two it looks like the Bills would likely win the tiebreaker due to either better conference record or strength of victory. 

Yes.........................but (LOL).

IF the log jam is between BUF, KC, TENN or BALT and there are 2 Wildcard spots open.

KC probably gets the 1st slot.

The remaining slot could favor the Bills.

Like I said there are a lot of scenarios!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Original Byrd Man said:

The best scenario for the Bills is for SD to win the division as they have tie breakers over the Chiefs and Raiders.  Also every game the Chiefs lose improves the Bills pick from them.

Exactly....we are doing no better than 9-7. We need LAC to win the west. Not KC!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think we'll really know who we should've been rooting for until everyone's played this weekend.

It's such a messed up situation every way I look at it. Titans should take care of the 49ers but if they don't and lose out we may be facing only one other team. Then you got the Chiefs against the Dolphins next week which is a tossup. If the Ravens drop one it throws another wrench into things.

I guess at this point I'm gonna root for the Bills and hope for the best. That's the one game that really matters.

5 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

We want the LA chargers to win the west due to tiebreakers and a better draft pick. It's a two for one deal. 

Plus, I cannot wait to watch the Saturday Wild Card game to see those 27,000 screaming fans in LA. 

and playing against the Bills?

Who should the Bills start at QB?

Peterman redemption?

LOL

My god, this board would implode!

Root for the Chargers. Our hold on a WC spot currently is due to no common opponents being factored yet. We hold the first tie breaker vs. KC and  not against the Chargers. We need the Chargers to win their division as a result.

So I assume all the people who think it's an open and shut case that we want/need the Chargers to win think that the Titans are going to drop all their remaining games? Or that the Ravens will lose one of their last three vs. three of the worst teams in the NFL?

Because that's what it will take for the Bills to win a tie breaker vs. the Chiefs. Only if the Bills are tied with only the Chiefs does the head to head tie breaker come into effect. If the Bills are tied with the Chiefs and any other team(s) the Chiefs get the nod into the playoffs.

It's - obviously - impossible to know how everything will shake out but IMO it's much more likely the Ravens win out and the Titans win one of their remaining games.