Todd McShay 2018 Mock Draft 1.0

essential

I can't comment on who I want there but I know for sure, I do not want anything to do with Baker Mayfield. Tyrod Taylor is a better player than Mayfield. He has average size, average athleticism, decent arm but he makes all of his plays in the shotgun or outside of the pocket. I think if teams forced him to stay in the pocket he would disintegrate. We already have that in Tyrod, project player with low upside.

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If they go DT in the first round this regime is no different than any other we've had in the past 17 years and I'd fire them.

You trade a DT for a 6th, create a hole, and then draft another DT in the first? I'll lose my mind, I understand the mocks are largely pointless so it's even worse than crying over spilled milk. But if they did this, I just don't even want to fathom it. 

I'd rather we take a RB, WR or LB in the 1st. Problem with drafting DTs high is that when it comes time for their 2nd contract and they get paid, too often have I seen them get lazy. I don't think it's smart to pay 330lb+ big men millions of dollars, they get too lazy.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I can't comment on who I want there but I know for sure, I do not want anything to do with Baker Mayfield. Tyrod Taylor is a better player than Mayfield. He has average size, average athleticism, decent arm but he makes all of his plays in the shotgun or outside of the pocket. I think if teams forced him to stay in the pocket he would disintegrate. We already have that in Tyrod, project player with low upside.

I'd rather we take a RB, WR or LB in the 1st. Problem with drafting DTs high is that when it comes time for their 2nd contract and they get paid, too often have I seen them get lazy. I don't think it's smart to pay 330lb+ big men millions of dollars, they get too lazy.

I don't follow college football as closely as i used to, I just don't have the time. I'd like LB, I really want a qb but it's a crap shoot. And I don't know anymore than anyone else to confidently say I want one guy. WR we desperately need, and I'll agree we need an RB.

But what I do feel confident in is, creating holes, filling holes with below average talent. Taking dead cap money, then using a high pick to fill a position that has become a self inflicted need is just bad management. I'm done with it. It's almost an absolute that they can not go DT in the first unless they trade down again and net another number 1, just from how bad the optics will look in my opinion.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't follow college football as closely as i used to, I just don't have the time. I'd like LB, I really want a qb but it's a crap shoot. And I don't know anymore than anyone else to confidently say I want one guy. WR we desperately need, and I'll agree we need an RB.

But what I do feel confident in is, creating holes, filling holes with below average talent. Taking dead cap money, then using a high pick to fill a position that has become a self inflicted need is just bad management. I'm done with it. It's almost an absolute that they can not go DT in the first unless they trade down again and net another number 1, just from how bad the optics will look in my opinion.

Forget Baker Mayfield, I'd really really like Josh Allen. I don't consider myself an expert but I would trade up with San Fran for Josh Allen. He is a pure pocket passer, 6'5 and got some wiggle, reminds me of Big Ben. 

Oh and btw, McShay picked Roquan Smith with our 1st, that's not a bad pick but I think that's a bit early for him. I'd love him in the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If they go DT in the first round this regime is no different than any other we've had in the past 17 years and I'd fire them.

You trade a DT for a 6th, create a hole, and then draft another DT in the first? I'll lose my mind, I understand the mocks are largely pointless so it's even worse than crying over spilled milk. But if they did this, I just don't even want to fathom it. 

But that's the Bills way.  Let Gilmore go, use a #1 pick on his replacement T. White.  Let Woods and Goodwin leave, use the 2nd round pick on a WR. 

18 hours ago, essential said:

I didn't create the picture, just found the link.

https://imgur.com/a/MzYYQ

Bills:

15) Roquan Smith - LB Georgia

21) Vita Vea - DT Washington

I would absolutely love this with Kirk Cousins at QB :)

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It's all about the Benjamin's! The Bills would rather pay $7 mill less a year for a run stopping DT.

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t going to sign the 3rd stringer in Mannion to compete for the starting role. They are going to trade up to get a guy or sign Cousins. I don’t see any other realistic options. They want to address the spot. They have a backup in Peterman IMO so I don’t see a need for another guy like him. They will need a starter.

Yep. Worst case is the settle in both instances and end up with a combination like Bradford and Rudolph. More likely, though, is that they sell out in either FA or moving up in the draft.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yep. Worst case is the settle in both instances and end up with a combination like Bradford and Rudolph. More likely, though, is that they sell out in either FA or moving up in the draft.

That’s my nightmare scenario. Use a bunch of assets (money and picks) to maintain the level of QB play. I’d try to get Teddy cheap and trade up for a top guy. 

Way too high to take a LB. Also way too early to do a mock without seeing how free agency shakes out. I hope the Bills resign Matthews and Gaines to solid deals and they find a way to add a good DT so they can draft a pass rusher and a CB in round 1, then wrap around and scoop up a tight end and a linebacker in round 2.

16 hours ago, jr1 said:

LB seems less of a need with Milano starting

Milano is at Weak Side.  We need a real middle guy and Smith is that guy.  I could see them definitely pulling the trigger on Smith and Vea if they are there.  They want a strong defense and right now it's not not that because they do not have the players.  And with Kyle Williams most likely retiring, I'd say they need two DT's.

7 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Forget Baker Mayfield, I'd really really like Josh Allen. I don't consider myself an expert but I would trade up with San Fran for Josh Allen. He is a pure pocket passer, 6'5 and got some wiggle, reminds me of Big Ben. 

Oh and btw, McShay picked Roquan Smith with our 1st, that's not a bad pick but I think that's a bit early for him. I'd love him in the 2nd round.

If he continues his outstanding play he's not going to be there in the 2nd round.

14 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

How is it that so many posters were absolutely against drafting Watson last season, but now want Johnny Football 2.0 this time around?

Help me understand. 

Folks who like Mayfield don't agree with your judgement that he is JF2.0.  Manziel was more interested in being a celebrity than a football player.  Mayfield is immature, but he's also passionate about playing qb.  I was pushing for OBD to pick Watson or Mahomes, btw.  So I don't fully fit your scenario.  It would be far preferable to draft Rosen or Darnold.  I just doubt we can put ourselves in a position to get them.  After that, everyone has bigger question marks.  I think Mayfield will grow out of his antics and I rate his skill set considerably better than you believe it, i.e., I think it will translate to the NFL.  I see a potential Brees where you see an idiot college qb with no future in the pros.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

The part where you said "don't consider myself an expert " was a good summary of this post. Roquan in the second? After the combine, don't be surprised to see him top 10. As for Josh Allen, I doubt they need to trade up. Rosen? Yes. Allen? No.

On 12/13/2017 at 2:45 PM, Tatonka68 said:

If they do Bills need to trade down again and gather picks for next year. They aren't getting away.

We would gut the roster to the bone!

Peterman - here's the ball... Dawkins and Glenn are on IR so i put Ducasse at LT.  That would be a fun 2018 Tank year.  

Edited by dneveu

10 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The part where you said "don't consider myself an expert " was a good summary of this post. Roquan in the second? After the combine, don't be surprised to see him top 10. As for Josh Allen, I doubt they need to trade up. Rosen? Yes. Allen? No.

13 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Milano is at Weak Side.  We need a real middle guy and Smith is that guy.  I could see them definitely pulling the trigger on Smith and Vea if they are there.  They want a strong defense and right now it's not not that because they do not have the players.  And with Kyle Williams most likely retiring, I'd say they need two DT's.

If he continues his outstanding play he's not going to be there in the 2nd round.

Roquan reminds of Posluszny coming out. I think he'll be a good player but I don't think he will be awesome. Top 10? Really top 10? No way. He doesn't have anywhere near the talent of a Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly. I don't doubt that he'll be good but I don't think he is a first round pick. JMO.

17 hours ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

It's all about the Benjamin's! The Bills would rather pay $7 mill less a year for a run stopping DT.

The point is not lost on me, but it's no guarantee this guy works out. Also Dareus showed he is capable of rushing the passer and being more than just a run stopper. It just is an endless cycle.

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The point is not lost on me, but it's no guarantee this guy works out. Also Dareus showed he is capable of rushing the passer and being more than just a run stopper. It just is an endless cycle.

It's all about the risk of the game. They felt the contract was too burdening, his health was in play, his off field antics, and the fact that he wasn't motivated to be the leader he is being paid to be. By drafting a guy at a much smaller price, it gives the Bills an opportunity to retain other guys or him down the road. If he doesn't work out then you go to free agency, trading block, or the draft until you find the guy. It will always be an endless cycle.