Todd McShay 2018 Mock Draft 1.0

essential

2 hours ago, essential said:

I didn't create the picture, just found the link.

https://imgur.com/a/MzYYQ

Bills:

15) Roquan Smith - LB Georgia

21) Vita Vea - DT Washington

This is what I have been saying that the cost to trade Dareus was much more than just shedding Dareus for a 6th round pick.  There is a HIGH probability we will invest a first or 2nd round pick on a DT to TRY and replace Dareus.  That was my issue with the trade.  Had we kept Dareus until at least the offseason, we could have seen if McD and MD could work it out and if not, hopefully get more back for him in the offseason after finishing the season off now that he was healthy.  

Had we NOT given him away at his lowest value, we many not have to use a high pick to replace him and instead could invest in the OL, LB, or replacing Kyle.  Or at least traded him after being productive and gotten a higher pick like a 3rd or 2nd to help offset some of the cost trying to replace him.

Oh well...outside of that, I totally agree if the draft fell this way (which it won't) we would hands down take Baker unless we made a big QB move in FA.  And if we did go after a QB in FA, then I would love both these picks...but truthfully no way Smith is on the board at 15 IMO and Vita may not be there either at 21.  I could actually see us taking Vita at 15 if Smith wasn't there.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is what I have been saying that the cost to trade Dareus was much more than just shedding Dareus for a 6th round pick.  There is a HIGH probability we will invest a first or 2nd round pick on a DT to TRY and replace Dareus.  That was my issue with the trade.  Had we kept Dareus until at least the offseason, we could have seen if McD and MD could work it out and if not, hopefully get more back for him in the offseason after finishing the season off now that he was healthy.  

Had we NOT given him away at his lowest value, we many not have to use a high pick to replace him and instead could invest in the OL, LB, or replacing Kyle.  Or at least traded him after being productive and gotten a higher pick like a 3rd or 2nd to help offset some of the cost trying to replace him.

Oh well...outside of that, I totally agree if the draft fell this way (which it won't) we would hands down take Baker unless we made a big QB move in FA.  And if we did go after a QB in FA, then I would love both these picks...but truthfully no way Smith is on the board at 15 IMO and Vita may not be there either at 21.  I could actually see us taking Vita at 15 if Smith wasn't there.

Of course there's a cost to the Dareus trade who knows about high probability of drafting one.   Free agency is definitely a possibility as much as the draft.  They may do both.  Obviously they identified that his antics, effort and contract weren't copacetic.   Hard for me to believe you're ok with a coach hating the effort of a player and you wanting to keep him.    Could you possibly be ok with that?  I'm not sure I totally understand the cap problems but clearly he wasn't the easiest player to trade.   Even at the height of his performance you're not getting a 2nd or a 3rd round pick for him.  

I'm not shooting down you're entire post but let's switch to Baker.  I know there's examples of 6 foot tall QB's doing well in the NFL but it's a legit concern.  The player has to be so special to overcome that.  I'm also concerned that he runs a lot.  I think the NFL has shown that a rushing QB inevitably leads to injury.   The kid is a legit baller and I love so much about him, but I'd have to take a long look at how I'd translate him in an NFL pocket.  

Edited by White Linen

Just now, White Linen said:

Of course there's a cost to the Dareus trade who knows about high probability of drafting one.   Free agency is definitely a possibility as much as the draft.  They may do both.  Obviously they identified his antics, effort and contract wasn't copacetic.   Hard for me to believe you're ok with a coach hating the effort of a player and you wanting to keep him.    Could you possibly be ok with that?  I'm not sure I totally understand the cap problems but clearly he wasn't the easiest player to trade.   Even at the height of his performance you're not getting a 2nd or a 3rd round pick for him.  

I'm not shooting down you're entire post but let's switch to Baker.  I know there's examples of 6 foot tall QB's doing well in the NFL but it's a legit concern.  The player has to be so special to overcome that.  I'm also concerned that he runs a lot.  I think the NFL has shown that a rushing QB inevitably leads to injury.   The kid is a legit baller and I love so much about him, but I'd have to take a long look at how I'd translate him in an NFL pocket.  

The other topic has been discussed enough, and everyone has various opinions and I understand yours too.  

As far as Baker goes, he is listed at 6-1 which is 2 inches taller than Wilson, 1" taller than Brees, and only 1" shorter than Rodgers.  Someone in another thread countered that is what the school lists him at but he's probably gonna be shorter at combine.  Well thats rare, in fact Brees and Wilson had the same height measurement at the combine, school, and NFL level for example. 

So, out of the top 4 QB's currently in the NFL, 2 of which are surefire HOF players (Brees and Rogers), he is taller than 2 of them and shorter by 1" than the other.  For me, his height isn't a very big concern.  Now, your concerns about running are obviously valid, as a QB doesn't help you if he isn't on the field.  But thats the risk/reward benefit with a guy who can make plays with his legs.   Personally, I like the running threat in todays NFL, so it isn't something I am too concerned about.  

Baker is someone I both think is worth drafting and makes sense for us to go after if we don't make a big move in FA.  Then again, there is a LOT of time between now and the draft, and there are a number of QB's who can quickly rise up the draft board like Allen, Mason, and Lamar for instance.  It happens every year, so I am totally excited to see how it all starts to shake out after the combine

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Unless they get Cousins or trade a 2019 first round pick for Luck............

How do the Bills not aggressively get to the top of this draft for Darnold or Rosen?

You see Cleveland or the Giants trading out?  I don't.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You see Cleveland or the Giants trading out?  I don't.

Cleveland has done it multiple times before........... not to say they will do it this year.........

and the Giants new brass might think enough of Webb and might wanna get more assets. If, for example, the Bills offer 3 1's and a 2 for the 2nd overall pick, it might be hard to pass up and Darnold or Rosen is the new Buffalo QB, if they both come out.

Just now, njbuff said:

Cleveland has done it multiple times before........... not to say they will do it this year.........

and the Giants new brass might think enough of Webb and might wanna get more assets. If, for example, the Bills offer 3 1's and a 2 for the 2nd overall pick, it might be hard to pass up and Darnold or Rosen is the new Buffalo QB, if they both come out.

And their GM was just replaced for it. Dorsey has enough picks to be happy. He doesn't need to trade out.

Just now, njbuff said:

That's a king's ransom.  I'd be surprised still, but I guess it's possible.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And their GM was just replaced for it. Dorsey has enough picks to be happy. He doesn't need to trade out.

You are correct, but this is Cleveland, so you never know.

If the new GM is smart......... stay put and get your QB. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That's a king's ransom.  I'd be surprised still, but I guess it's possible.

Trading up for a QB is very costly and I bet the Giants would even want a player thrown into that deal (Glenn).

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Trading up for a QB is very costly and I bet the Giants would even want a player thrown into that deal (Glenn).

Yes, I know about the cost.  My skepticism was that you could pull off the deal, even with the expense.  Throwing in Glenn actually makes it more plausible.  It's just so many resources for a team with lots of holes and you add LT (or RT if Dawkins is a viable LT).  But I am on the side of those who believe franchise qb trumps every other need by a wide margin.  Just better get it right at that price.

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

You are correct, but this is Cleveland, so you never know.

If the new GM is smart......... stay put and get your QB. 

The cost really does not matter if the QB ends up being special

58 minutes ago, jr1 said:

LB seems less of a need with Milano starting

I don't think (and I don't think OBD thinks) that Preston Brown is the answer they want at MLB.

This scheme wants a serious difference maker at MLB.

For QB's - What am I missing about Mason Rudolph?

Edited by BobChalmers

4 hours ago, essential said:

I didn't create the picture, just found the link.

https://imgur.com/a/MzYYQ

Bills:

15) Roquan Smith - LB Georgia

21) Vita Vea - DT Washington

...interesting....Astrobot's Drafttek site had Buffalo going OL/DL or DL/OL with 1st round picks and Falk as their QB in 2nd with I believe #43.....

1 hour ago, BobDVA said:

I am officially not on the draft a QB no matter what bandwagon.  Past the top two, I do not see one worth it.   Get me a new right side of the OL and let Peterman go at it.  

I've got a modified version.  I would not move up for anyone but Darnold or Rosen.  If Mayfield falls to the Bills or Lamar Jackson I'd grab either of them.  Or Luke Faulk in the 2nd round.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't get why everyone thinks we will draft Mayfield.  Mcdermott is always preaching about character and building a certain culture in the locker room. Mayfield does not fit the profile of the type of player he's looking for and if we did draft him I would see it as a panic move much like they did with EJ Manuel.  I know they are high on Allen. If he's not there or decides not to come out look for Mike White out of E.Kentuckey.

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Ya, there's no way they don't take Mayfield with their first pick. 

Be a wrong man to assume anything at this point. Just get "our" guy n let the rest of the draft fall to us. We need to fill alot of holes. QB the biggest, no doubt

5 minutes ago, BuffaloPride said:

I don't get why everyone thinks we will draft Mayfield.  Mcdermott is always preaching about character and building a certain culture in the locker room. Mayfield does not fit the profile of the type of player he's looking for and if we did draft him I would see it as a panic move much like they did with EJ Manuel.  I know they are high on Allen. If he's not there or decides not to come out look for Mike White out of E.Kentuckey.

Yikes!  No way. Either darnod, rosen, or wait till cousins gets booted on a 2 year deal n try again....