Todd McShay 2018 Mock Draft 1.0

essential

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

You see Cleveland or the Giants trading out?  I don't.

They don't.  If Darnold comes out it will be the LA guys 1/2. You can take that to the bank. Cleveland and NYG will not be winning any more games. The Bills will be 8-8 at worst and even Rudolph or Mayfield might be gone. I just don't know if the Bills want to give up a ton of picks for the other guys?

5 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

If the Bills don't draft a QB this year, they will NEVER have a decent QB and are not even worth a Bill.

god please no. i don't think i can take another year of Tyrod.

Edited by Foxx

I predict the Bills trade up to 1 or 2 and get their QB for their offense for the next 15 years (Darnold) and they trade back into the first round and get their QB for their D too in Cameron Smith. Two Southern Californian kids quarterbacking the O and the D for the next 15 years.

How great would that be?

You heard it here first.

Hey, I can make wacky predictions too, you know.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If the Bills add Cousins I would think that draft was a home run. Vea and Smith would really elevate that front 7. If it isn’t Cousins they have to go get the QB.

Let me offer a hypothetical. Trade a third round pick to San Fran for Sean Mannion. Then follow your board. Stanford's DT Harrison Phillips is one of my favorite players in this draft. This former champion high school wrestler is a type of player and person our wrestling coach would be attracted to. 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let me offer a hypothetical. Trade a third round pick to San Fran for Sean Mannion. Then follow your board. Stanford's DT Harrison Phillips is one of my favorite players in this draft. This former champion high school wrestler is a type of player and person our wrestling coach would be attracted to. 

Please no!! Mannion is on the Chargers. Are you thinking of Beathard? If so, maybe a 7th to let him compete with Peterman as the backup.

I like Phillips and the wrestling coach will love  him!! He would be a big addition.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Please no!! Mannion is on the Chargers. Are you thinking of Beathard? If so, maybe a 7th to let him compete with Peterman as the backup.

I like Phillips and the wrestling coach will love  him!! He would be a big addition.

The reason I mentioned Mannion or a player like him is speculating what would happen if the Bills made a decision not to trade off picks for an early round qb prospect but instead kept them to get an infusion of talent. 

You bring up an interesting issue with Beathard and the 49ers. The Pats traded Garoppolo for a second round pick. You disagreed with a previous proposal I made of trading maybe the lower first round pick plus maybe a second or third for to make the qb deal with the Pats. By taking that route we could have gotten a young qb who has some experience and thus get a quicker return on usage. 

This offseason is really going to be fun. I get the sense that McBeane are ready to make deals and do their best to make a quantum leap. 

Edited by JohnC

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The reason I mentioned Mannion or a player like him is speculating what would happen if the Bills made a decision not to trade off picks for an early round qb prospect but instead kept them to get an infusion of talent. 

You bring up an interesting issue with Beathard and the 49ers. The Pats traded Garoppolo for a second round pick. You disagreed with a previous proposal I made of trading maybe the lower first round pick plus maybe a second or third for to make the qb deal with the Pats. By taking that route we could have gotten a young qb who has some experience and thus get a quicker return on usage. 

This offseason is really going to be fun. I get the sense that McBeane are ready to make deals and do their best to make a quantum leap. 

They aren’t going to sign the 3rd stringer in Mannion to compete for the starting role. They are going to trade up to get a guy or sign Cousins. I don’t see any other realistic options. They want to address the spot. They have a backup in Peterman IMO so I don’t see a need for another guy like him. They will need a starter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....Astrobot's Drafttek site had Buffalo going OL/DL or DL/OL with 1st round picks and Falk as their QB in 2nd with I believe #43.....

This seems like a decent plan to me.  I'm surprised Falk's name hasn't come up more often.

7 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

If they do Bills need to trade down again and gather picks for next year. They aren't getting away.

I made a thread about that possibility and got absolutely roasted haha.  They could stay in college and we could miss out on a chance to grab one of the top QBs, who knows. If they do, I like the trade down idea.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t going to sign the 3rd stringer in Mannion to compete for the starting role. They are going to trade up to get a guy or sign Cousins. I don’t see any other realistic options. They want to address the spot. They have a backup in Peterman IMO so I don’t see a need for another guy like him. They will need a starter.

This is how I see it as well.....

In my humble opinion....this has been the plan all along.  They accumulated a lot of draft picks going into this next draft.  qb is the most important position and they need to be right.  I think the bills ultimately will sell the farm on a qb that they think can be the franchise guy and live with the expense.  It is the ONLY thing they have not tried yet to get out of this non playoff drought

10 hours ago, essential said:

I didn't create the picture, just found the link.

https://imgur.com/a/MzYYQ

Bills:

15) Roquan Smith - LB Georgia

21) Vita Vea - DT Washington

I love it!  I would run to the podium with those picks!

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

the Giants aren't going QB at 1

they benched eli for geno smith. what gives you that idea?

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

they benched eli for geno smith. what gives you that idea?

I’m inclined to agree to a point. Not 100% of course, but I think the Giants are a team with a lot of interesting needs, but also a lot of interesting talent. If Beckham isn’t hurt this season, Manning looks a lot better, their record is likely closer to .500, and they’re looking at building young pieces around Eli. 

As as it stands now, not giving Webb a start makes me think they’ll wait for their new management team to make the call, which also makes this an uncertainty as well.  I Could see them wanting to put another young guy (2nd Round or later) along with Webb to play behind Manning instead of using that valuable of a pick on a guy if they think Manning has a couple of years left with the right situation around him.

The conventional wisdom is that new management likes to bring in their own quarterback (kind of like the Bills are trying to do). But it’s also being rumored that David Gettleman, the former Panthers GM who worked a long time for the Giants. So for him, he was there when they traded for Manning (he was technically drafted first by the Chargers in that draft). So they might want to try to ride Eli fora year with a healthy Odell, and even if they stayed at two, selected Barkley and gave Eli what Big Ben has in Antonio Brown and La’veon Bell. Add a couple offensive linemen to that and you could have a really interesting offensive group. 

Also, regarding their organizational values, they really seem to value consistency & continuity. Blowing it up, by cutting/trading Manning, drafting a rookie at #2 just doesn’t seem like their M.O. 

Manning has a no-trade clause. I doubt the Giants want to cut him and get nothing for him. If he wants to try to finish up his career as a Giant, he might be able to force the issue for another year or two. 

The possibility of trading down should also also be appealing to a new GM taking over a new organization only a couple months before the draft. Most of the league has front offices and scouting departments that have been together an entire year scouting the upcoming draft class. Having more shots at the board is always helpful. And the possibility of something like receiving three 1st Round picks and a player (Glenn) at a position of need is a pretty enticing offer indeed. Especially getting a new front office and coaching staff together and watching Darnold/Rosen on tape, they showed warts. Rosen forcing passes, trying to play self proclaimed “hero ball”. Darnold with some odd mechanics and high rate of interceptions, along with turnovers in general? 

To me the Giants are the most interesting team in the draft. They could do anything. 

Take a QB? Makes sense.

Take a skill position guy like Barkley? Makes sense

Trade down? Makes sense.

But overall, I think they’re a conservative organization (from an ownership perspective), and won’t take the risk in a QB while Manning still has any gas left in the tank, especially considering Odell was injured all year. 

If they go DT in the first round this regime is no different than any other we've had in the past 17 years and I'd fire them.

You trade a DT for a 6th, create a hole, and then draft another DT in the first? I'll lose my mind, I understand the mocks are largely pointless so it's even worse than crying over spilled milk. But if they did this, I just don't even want to fathom it. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1