Might be losing one of my best friends soon...

Roundybout

16 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Hey all, 

About three weeks ago my dog, Bear, started acting a little strange. He started throwing up at night and drooling a lot more than usual (He's a 7 year old Newfoundland). He's also been eating very strangely, chewing his food far more than he used to with his jaw making a 'clicking' sound while chewing. 

I couldn't figure out what was wrong. There is nothing stuck in his throat and his poop and whatnot is normal (sorry to be graphic). 

Took him to the vet yesterday. He has no sign of infection. His temperature and blood sugar are both fine. What wasn't fine were his platelet and protein levels, which a blood test showed were a little low and a little high, respectively. 

Now, the vet couldn't say what was wrong at all. There are a lot of things that could be wrong. But, if he had to guess, there's one thing. 

Liver cancer. 

Newfoundlands are a higher risk for it. It would explain the drool and the throwing up (nausea). 

The only other thing I believe it could be would be heartworms or some sort of poisoning. However, without X-Rays, we cannot be sure. 

He ate some this morning, more than in a while, and went for a short walk, which I thought was good. He still won't drink anything, which is very strange. You'd think with cancer he would want to drink a ton.

I've been something of a mess during this whole situation, and I was wondering if any of you fine people have been down this road before. I am still in shock about this. His checkup in August was perfect. How could this have come up so fast? Not to mention, around Christmas time. 

If any of you are the praying type, send some prayers for both him and me. It's gonna be a rough Christmas.

-B.E. (Mike).  

Cardiac fine?

15 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

been there a number of times 

Losing a dog sucks 

Me too. So often a friend will try to comfort and say "I wish they would live forever". Whenever someone says that it makes me think. I'm glad they don't live forever - that's what gives so much value to every moment.  The early morning kisses, the late night chin scratches,  spit soaked tennis balls, and chewed up remote controls... they would mean nothing if they were guaranteed life.  Whatever the outcome Mike (And I hope you get more time with Bear), the memories of the good times and unconditional love will sustain you.  There will never be another Bear, this is true... but when the time is right,  open your heart to another sweet soul to share life with.  

Life is always better with a dog. 

• Like (+1) 3

Sorry to hear this......

My dog had cancer and was just barely hanging on. When we took her to the vets to finally be euthanized the vet said to me, "to finally let a good friend go is the final act of kindness that we can give them".

I always remembered those words.........and it made it a little less painful to put her down that day.

• Like (+1) 2

Just got back home. 

Ultrasound revealed a sizable tumor in his abdomen - stomach cancer. Untreatable even if I had the cash for chemo and surgery. Bear's been given 3 weeks, enough for Christmas. 

Holy living ****. I'm a little in shock. 

Sweats, I'm going to keep that in mind when the inevitable comes. Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Just got back home. 

Ultrasound revealed a sizable tumor in his abdomen - stomach cancer. Untreatable even if I had the cash for chemo and surgery. Bear's been given 3 weeks, enough for Christmas. 

Sorry to hear this.

Sorry to hear that. I've lived with dogs as pets and guard dogs and hunting partners since I was born, and it never gets easier when they go. My dad always said dogs have bad memories but good intentions and if you treated them right they die without a care in the world. There's a great symbiosis between humans and dogs but I always try to keep in mind the emotional dependency runs a lot stronger on our side...sounds like you gave this dog everything he could have wanted. That's a win in my book.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Just got back home. 

Sorry to hear that man 

that is never a good feeling. Please, give him all the love and attention you can in the next few weeks

be the best friend he needs and soak in every second with him

Stay strong

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Just got back home. 

:cry:

My vet said a very similar thing...keep that in mind.

Our first dog Ivan was the smartest and gentlest dog you have ever seen.  He was trained to be companion to a child and they got divorced in first year of child's life - wife got house, husband got dog and dog got no home.  We thought he was a mute until some salesman bothered my wife and he came running from couch by window (refused to lie on floor so we compromised and gave him his own couch) standing on back legs and barking at salesman.  Salesman ran away literally.  He died from cancer; we tried surgery to save him and vet was amazed how well he recovered but the cancer reoccurred.

Our second dog Kingston (we just called him King) was a runaway (he did not intend to, it is the breed) whose own apparently gave up bailing him out of pound.  He jumped fences so we had to put double high fence for him.  He would chase squirrels when walking him and get off leash so we told him "no more squirrels" so he never chased a squirrel. even in yard.  We had him chipped and bailed him out several times.  He was lying on floor which was not unusual; he had a crate but he preferred floor during day.    An hour later I found him still on floor which was unusual - that dog had ADHD is any dog had one.  My wife and I got him onto a large towel and carried him to vet.  She said he had internal bleeding from cancer and he was weak from blood loss.  She could fix it but likely cancer was terminal.

I hate ankle nappers but the large dogs have such short lives.

• Like (+1) 1