2018 Trade partners moving up the board

Tatonka68

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

The worst and I mean the worst thing you can do is look at stats when it comes to college QBs.  Many college systems inflate the statistics of a QB and some teams can either inflate or deflate a QBs statistics based on the personnel around them.  To evaluate a college QB, you have to watch them play.  Numbers simply do not say enough.  Even the play on the field sometimes isn't enough.  You have to look at if the player is a leader and how he controls/runs the offense or if he is just a product of a system.  Not trying to bash you or anything of the sort but the eye test is much better to go off of than any numbers and even the eye test isn't enough.  That's why drafting QBs is such a crap shoot and an undefined science.  

i get it and admit i have only watched a bit of mayfield and next to none on rudolph, but i will watch the bowl games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I wonder if there will be another pre-draft trade in this draft as there have been in the past.  I expect both the Giants and Cleveland to draft a QB in those spots but who knows.  We shall see.  I'm sure the FO will look under every rock to find our next QB.  Hopefully, it works out.  Indy will certainly get a few phone calls from us this year even if it isn't about Luck.  That situation is certainly one to keep an eye on and we would have the ammo if they decided to take their next QB at 3 and fill out the rest of the roster by what they get in a deal for Luck...that's a dream scenario though.  It'll be a wild offseason though.  This board is going to go nuts no matter what we do haha

I agree.  Buffalo has too much ammo not to use it for a qb.  If they dont get a qb in the draft or fa my patients will be out with the new regime.  

Best case scenario we move up to #2 with Indy or San Fran and take Darnold or Rosen. Josh Allen would be ideal if we stay put. Mayfield, Jackson and everyone else I'd roll the dice on in second round because it would be easier to disengage if they looked cruddy. First round QBs are a 2-3 year investment and I don't think we should just hitch our wagon to anybody.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:58 AM, jrober38 said:

I'm not a huge fan of mortgaging the future for the third best QB prospect in a draft class. 

Odds are they're not going to work out. 

For giggles I went thru the list of the 3rd QB taken in last 20 draft classes.  There's some slim pickings there with the notable exception of Ben Roethlesberger

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

For giggles I went thru the list of the 3rd QB taken in last 20 draft classes.  There's some slim pickings there with the notable exception of Ben Roethlesberger

Statistics have no effect on the quality of the actual draft class.  Maybe this is the exception.  We better hope so, because I can't see any rational way to grab Rosen or Darnold.

On 12/13/2017 at 12:36 PM, Bakin said:

I strongly believe we should sit where we are and let the draft fall to us. 

We need a lot of quality players and with 4 top 60 picks we should take them all. It's a good year for this. 

BPA BPA BPA

BPA has nothing but screwed this team 4-ever. You draft BPA when you actually have a QB, not the other way around.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

BPA has nothing but screwed this team 4-ever. You draft BPA when you actually have a QB, not the other way around.

It’s not the strategy - it’s the scouting and coaching. 

Taking BPA is a great strategy. So long as you actually know who BPA is. 

Drafting for need is the strategy that has actually hurt this team the most. It leads to reaching and selecting players based on position rather than board. 

36 minutes ago, Bakin said:

It’s not the strategy - it’s the scouting and coaching. 

Taking BPA is a great strategy. So long as you actually know who BPA is. 

Drafting for need is the strategy that has actually hurt this team the most. It leads to reaching and selecting players based on position rather than board. 

When you don't have a QB you have to draft by need.  BPA is fine after rd 1 for me once our damn QB situation is set.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

Indianapolis or Cleveland (via Houston) will probably have the 3rd pick.  Neither will be interested in a QB since Browns will have taken one with first.  If there is a QB that the FO sees as a franchise QB still available at three, Bills are in position to move up to get him.  Both teams would love the 2 firsts and other draft picks required by Bills to move up in position for #3.  Don't go by where anyone has a QB ranked in the draft.  Jets, Cards, Bengals, Broncos and maybe the Chargers may all need QBs.  Some of them will be interested in moving up to get the guy they want.  The third spot is the key.  Even if 2 QBs are already taken, if the QB the Bills want is there, they need to go after him at that spot.  

I would not be surprised if the Bills trade for Alex Smith.  KC has cap problems and Smith would be good for 4 - 5 years.  Good fit for Dennison.  Then use all those draft  picks to fill in roster as well as using FA.  

Whatever happens, the 2018 Bills will look vastly different.

28 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

Indianapolis or Cleveland (via Houston) will probably have the 3rd pick.  Neither will be interested in a QB since Browns will have taken one with first.  If there is a QB that the FO sees as a franchise QB still available at three, Bills are in position to move up to get him.  Both teams would love the 2 firsts and other draft picks required by Bills to move up in position for #3.  Don't go by where anyone has a QB ranked in the draft.  Jets, Cards, Bengals, Broncos and maybe the Chargers may all need QBs.  Some of them will be interested in moving up to get the guy they want.  The third spot is the key.  Even if 2 QBs are already taken, if the QB the Bills want is there, they need to go after him at that spot.  

I would not be surprised if the Bills trade for Alex Smith.  KC has cap problems and Smith would be good for 4 - 5 years.  Good fit for Dennison.  Then use all those draft  picks to fill in roster as well as using FA.  

Whatever happens, the 2018 Bills will look vastly different.

I liked this post until you mentioned Alex Smith.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I liked this post until you mentioned Alex Smith.

I mentioned Alex Smith because of the draft pick cost to move up to three.   If Bills do move up to draft a QB, they might feel the need to keep TT for another year.

Letting TT go, picking up Alex Smith and using their draft picks on filling the roster with some day 1 starters might be enough to make the Bills contenders next year and down the road.  Keep Peterman as a good backup, use FA to fill in some other holes has to be tempting to the FO.

I would guess Alex Smith could be in play if the FO does not see their franchise QB at the third draft spot.   

Edited by richardb1952

Just now, richardb1952 said:

I mentioned Alex Smith because of the draft pick cost to move up to three.   If Bills do move up to draft a QB, they might feel the need to keep TT for another year.

Letting TT go, picking up Alex Smith and using their draft picks on filling the roster with some day 1 starters might be enough to make the Bills contenders next year and down the road.  Keep Peterman as a good backup, us FA to fill in some other holes has to be tempting to the FO.

I would guess Alex Smith could be in play if the FO does not see their franchise QB at the third draft spot.   

It's a plausible scenario, I suppose.  Alex Smith will be 34 next season.  I'd be alright signing him if we also drafted a potential franchise qb, but I don't think he's anything more than a better bridge qb.  I really doubt the fanbase would be enthused about the notion of Alex Smith for the next four to five years.  It might work, but I am skeptical.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's a plausible scenario, I suppose.  Alex Smith will be 34 next season.  I'd be alright signing him if we also drafted a potential franchise qb, but I don't think he's anything more than a better bridge qb.  I really doubt the fanbase would be enthused about the notion of Alex Smith for the next four to five years.  It might work, but I am skeptical.

Alex Smith has over 3700 yds passing, 340 yds rushing, 25 TDs, 5 INTs, with a 68% completion Percentage in 14 games.  If the fan base liked Kyle Orton, they'd love Alex Smith.  Plus, KC offense is almost the same as the Bills, except they have better playmakers at WR.

Edited by richardb1952

1 hour ago, richardb1952 said:

Alex Smith has over 3700 yds passing, 340 yds rushing, 25 TDs, 5 INTs, with a 68% completion Percentage in 14 games.  If the fan base liked Kyle Orton, they'd love Alex Smith.  Plus, KC offense is almost the same as the Bills, except they have better playmakers at WR.

I'll grant that the folks who liked Orton will swoon over Smith.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

KC will want to trade Alex Smith.  They have hardly any picks for the next 2 years.

I think Cleveland trades one of their 3rds and get's Smith for 1 year 17 mil cap hit.