Robert Griffin III - should Bills consider him for backup QB?

PIZ

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

If the fans here could only separate sports from politics, I would rather bring in Kap to play in the Cap as a backup, or even possibly as a bridge for next year at the right price if he could earn it by being the best QB on the field in the preseason. He truly is a better player than some of the QBs currently starting around the league this next weekend. But we just  can't have nice things with all our crusaders here.

Edited by simpleman

11 hours ago, PIZ said:

With our QB situation, could adding RG3 do any harm?  Seems he is a Bills fan.

Since we have played 3 QBs so far this season, would you be ok with Griffin starting....because backups have to play as well

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The problem with keeping Tyrod is that it would cost the Bills around $16 million in cash and nearly $10 mill in cap space. 

At this point, RGIII would be likely to be very cheap indeed. That matters.

But I don't see him fitting the offense any better than Tyrod has.

I'm not sure I follow this.

1) keep Tyrod: $18.08M cap hit ($16M cash, plus $2.08M dead cap)
2) cut Tyrod: $7.64 (if signed for >$1M) or $8.64M dead cap

So keeping him costs them $10M more cap space than cutting him.  Is that what you mean?

But presumably, if cut, he must be replaced by someone who will also take up cap space.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Tyrod Taylor signed a 2 year, $30,500,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $7,000,000 signing bonus, $15,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,250,000. In 2017, Taylor will earn a base salary of $7,500,000 and a signing bonus of $7,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $9,713,334 and a dead cap value of $18,353,334.

This does not include any incentives determined by NFPLA "not likely to reached" but reached.  If you remember Flutie making them is what caused his salary cap costs to jump up.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, PIZ said:

With our QB situation, could adding RG3 do any harm?  Seems he is a Bills fan.

He's a Bills fan cause he knows we're in dire straits for a QB..........he's just getting on the Bills bandwagon to try to career shop.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:25 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Not sure about this Griffith guy but I’d be okay with Robert Griffin. He’s been out a year and may have healed some. If you are going to be playing in bad weather his mobility could be an asset. I don’t hold Cleveland against anyone. He could be a decent option of it comes to that. We played Joe Webb last week.

The criticism of Taylor is that he can't make reads and go through progressions. The criticism of RG III is that he can't make reads and go through progressions. What's the point of dispatching Taylor and bringing in Griffin, even as a backup. Responding to futility by bringing in more futility makes no sense. I'll enthusiastically pass on this idea.