Clearing the Field

Griff28

36 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

8” in four hours, no way they could have ever kept up with that.

Off topic, I am still in awe of everyone who was at the game. 

2" of snow per hour for 4 hours is nuts. Personally I don't think that's something they need to plan for....any more than the fog games or any other extreme weather condition. Sometimes weather happens, players need to deal with it and both teams did. 

However, I will grudgingly admit that I understand why the NFL would not want the Super Bowl played in similar conditions...although it wouldn't bother me in the least.

One thing they could do is put a layer under the turf which would help melting but any such thing would result in water under snow which could freeze into black ice.  Now if you put holes in field to drain then players could step into them.

Simplest solution: Bills offer to give up home field advantage during season (or do what some other teams do schedule events to make stadium unavailable) and play all of their home games in first 12 or so games.

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

We looked into heated floors in our little old master bath as part of a renovation. We use that every day, but I look at the cost and the enormous surface at the Ralph, for a game or three??? And could it even keep up on a snow event like that? Or would the slush be even worse? 

Exactly.

Then there is problem with New Era being BELOW grade.

Nothing $$$ can't solve.

And yes... Smokes Creek is an outlet (Where Fins fan bit it).  That eventually makes itself to Lake Erie.

It's all how much they want to spend.  ANYTHING can be done.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

8” in four hours, no way they could have ever kept up with that.

LoL... You gotta be kidding!

Work smart, not hard.  How much $$$ does TPegs wanna spend? 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

We looked into heated floors in our little old master bath as part of a renovation. We use that every day, but I look at the cost and the enormous surface at the Ralph, for a game or three??? And could it even keep up on a snow event like that? Or would the slush be even worse? 

We put in heated floors in our bathrooms when we remodeled.  Love them.

I do think the slush would be worse.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

One thing they could do is put a layer under the turf which would help melting but any such thing would result in water under snow which could freeze into black ice.  Now if you put holes in field to drain then players could step into them.

Simplest solution: Bills offer to give up home field advantage during season (or do what some other teams do schedule events to make stadium unavailable) and play all of their home games in first 12 or so games.

The field used to be crowned, extremely crowned.  Where does rain go now with new field in place, crown has been lessened if not removed.  It only snowed 1" to 2" melted precip.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly.

Then there is problem with New Era being BELOW grade.

Nothing $$$ can't solve.

And yes... Smokes Creek is an outlet (Where Fins fan bit it).  That eventually makes itself to Lake Erie.

It's all how much they want to spend.  ANYTHING can be done.

As a good friend liked to say, “given enough time and money, darn near ANYTHING is possible!”  But, as we’ve learned tonight, a new stadium is going in downtown in a few years at a site known to only those special few. 

It's concrete underneath the turf. How about a big drainage system and heat the concrete/turf? I know they do heated sidewalks and concrete driveways. Snow would melt as it lands and drain out underneath. 

There has to be a reason you can't do that, or I think it would have been done already.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

As a good friend liked to say, “given enough time and money, darn near ANYTHING is possible!”  But, as we’ve learned tonight, a new stadium is going in downtown in a few years at a site known to only those special few. 

Yep!  They take one look @ that SnowGlobe Game on Sunday and say: "Screw this crap, just build new digs."  Solving snow prob in New Era is not impossible, but it will cost!  Is it worth it?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We put in heated floors in our bathrooms when we remodeled.  Love them.

I do think the slush would be worse.

We live in Atlanta, and while I love the idea of the heated floors, I hate the idea of being such a kitty. (And wasting money in a house I don’t love.) If I was still up north I’d have stronger feelings about what makes me happy and comfortable. ENJOY! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Shotgunner said:

It's concrete underneath the turf. How about a big drainage system and heat the concrete/turf? I know they do heated sidewalks and concrete driveways. Snow would melt as it lands and drain out underneath. 

There has to be a reason you can't do that, or I think it would have been done already.

Yep.  Rain goes somewhere.  Lower bowl is 50' below grade.  It only snowed 1-2" of melted precipitation on Sunday.

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The thing you gotta remember is that New Era is (I think) 50' BELOW grade.  They would have to drain it to a huge underground reservoir.

"Deep Tunnel" system.  Here in Chicago, the deep tunnel is 300' below ground.  Then storm water gets held in big reservoirs until after the storm.  After the storm, water gets pumped out and sent down canals to New Orleans.

Really, building it since 1977.  In 1997, they added a spur under the river/canal I work at.  It's been online for about 10 years now.

Back to New Era... 50' BELOW grade is chump change along with a 300' field.

Labor and a few games that this happens is not worth the expense.  Shady had winter performance tires! :P

ANYTHING can be done.  They hold the North Sea back.

031500turf_300x383.gif

I never said it would go there.  But you get the concept.  Pipe it to a big "cistern."

Don't be obtuse.  There is obviously more to be added to a system! :rolleyes:

Read up thread... 

Just build another stadium if they want to solve the snow problem...:rolleyes:

No doubt about that.

Many years ago I always noted how the stadium is sitting down in the bottom of a ditch, basically.

Field level is way below ground level outside the stadium.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I thought he wrote it was NOT going downtown.  Then again, I can't read gibberish very well.  I may have that wrong. 

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I thought he wrote it was NOT going downtown.  Then again, I can't read gibberish very well.  I may have that wrong. 

:lol:

I could have missed that in translation, but I’ve always assumed downtown is the place that made sense so they could develop some synergy. It’s entirely possible adult beverages led to the willingness to share as well as the literary standard. Regardless, if there’s any truth to it, it’s interesting. It makes sense in some ways. If it doesn’t pan out, it’s a bit of amusement on a Tuesday night. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I could have missed that in translation, but I’ve always assumed downtown is the place that made sense so they could develop some synergy. It’s entirely possible adult beverages led to the willingness to share as well as the literary standard. Regardless, if there’s any truth to it, it’s interesting. It makes sense in some ways. If it doesn’t pan out, it’s a bit of amusement on a Tuesday night. 

I missed the boat on this... Fill me in... -_-

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t want to mess it up in translation.

LoL... I posted in that thread, but had me derailed at Tyrod!  :lol: I just went back to check the original post out.

Tyrod, such a hot topic!  You just know he's gonna melt that field next week.  Plug Smokin' Jay in and NO snow will stick! :D

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The field used to be crowned, extremely crowned.  Where does rain go now with new field in place, crown has been lessened if not removed.  It only snowed 1" to 2" melted precip.

Yes. I believe they eliminated the crown because the pellets would roll off more easily making the sides more treacherous.  This does not help with drainage.