Clearing the Field

Griff28

Happy with the results of the game obviously but...I realize the tractors and brushes last year at halftime of the Steelers game kicked up a ton of rubber pellets and caused a delay but the Bills attributed that to a brush that was too firm.  Why did they not use the tractors and brushes that weren't so firm to get rid of 6+ inches of snow for the Indy game???

That's the irony of these Field turf surfaces. A much better playing surface than the old astro turf, better for the players , looks real etc. Their one major flaw seems to be snow , where they cannot be properly cleared. As a result you had abysmal conditions for footing on Sunday and a much greater potential for injuries. The Grounds crew really did seem baffled on how to proceed with snow clearing because they guessed (probably correctly) they would destroy the surface and make it even worse.

Looked like a high water content, freezing snow... Probably worse case for getting in pile of the rug.

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Where are they going to put the snow?  You're talking hundreds, if not thousands, of cubic yards of snow.  It would have taken a fleet of dumptrucks hours to remove all that snow.

Heat it in the back of a truck and send it down a drain.

• Haha (+1) 1

I expected and was wondering why it wasn’t cleared at halftime like it almost always is. 

I thought i heard Heard an interview that they had no where to put the snow. That this was such a large amount that they couldn’t move it to the sidelines. They couldn’t get rid of it before the half was over. And because the snow was coming down so hard, it wouldn’t have mattered anyway and would have been covered in minutes again. 

They need to figure something out. there must be a way to clear the field without messing up the pellets. Also, figure out how to clear the seats without advertising for fans to come out, or pay more than $11- this is a team worth over a billion dollars- shoveling the stadium is hard work.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Looked like a high water content, freezing snow... Probably worse case for getting in pile of the rug.

Heat it in the back of a truck and send it down a drain.

Yeah really.  Just put all that snow in that heated snow melting truck already.  Sheesh....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't be an idiot... It's unbecoming:

I like how the machine just pours the melted snow on the ground next to it.  Maybe they could run huge garden hoses out to the creek near the stadium where that dude drowned a few years ago?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

8” in four hours, no way they could have ever kept up with that.

There was the little issue of a football game going on at the exact same time. I heard the snow only started an hour or two before game time. You can clear the filed, or play the game. I wouldn’t want to watch that every week, but I LOVED it. 

That contraption is unworkable.  Even if they could figure out how to drain all that water, look closely at the size of the scoop loader.  It would take hundreds of those loads to dump into the machine, then you have to carefully choreograph the scoop loader army to get to the machine.  I'm guessing at least 30 seconds per scoop load, so you're still talking HOURS to clear the field.  Meanwhile the snow is still falling at 2"/hour, so add a few more hundred scoop loads.  The game wouldn't be over until after midnight.

Flurries started around 11:30, by the time we started walking in at 12:15 you couldn’t see the stadium from across Abbott Rd.

By the time I got to my seat couldn’t see the scoreboard, I’m in the tunnel end.

It came in quick and just didn’t stop.

Come on!  This is 2017... Spent last winter in Steamboat, Colorado... We got dumped on in 10s of feet... Never no snow on the walkways and no piles either... Where did it go?  They have radiant systems.  So close to home to:

This in Alps:

8" in 2 hours on a 300' field is nothing!

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

That contraption is unworkable.  Even if they could figure out how to drain all that water, look closely at the size of the scoop loader.  It would take hundreds of those loads to dump into the machine, then you have to carefully choreograph the scoop loader army to get to the machine.  I'm guessing at least 30 seconds per scoop load, so you're still talking HOURS to clear the field.  Meanwhile the snow is still falling at 2"/hour, so add a few more hundred scoop loads.  The game wouldn't be over until after midnight.

Heat the field.  In Steamboat the sidewalks were never plowed and always clear... Even after major dumpings.

Bills don't want to spend the $$$$.  ANYTHING can be done.

I Don't blame the Bills... How often does this happen.  Not worth the $$$$ when cost analysis is figured in.  8 games and maybe one of these SnowGlobe games every so many years.  Just pay labor to plow/shovel.

This looks like 8":

5cdec8f37196ca6df78299214cedee1b--drivew

The thing you gotta remember is that New Era is (I think) 50' BELOW grade.  They would have to drain it to a huge underground reservoir.

"Deep Tunnel" system.  Here in Chicago, the deep tunnel is 300' below ground.  Then storm water gets held in big reservoirs until after the storm.  After the storm, water gets pumped out and sent down canals to New Orleans.

Really, building it since 1977.  In 1997, they added a spur under the river/canal I work at.  It's been online for about 10 years now.

Back to New Era... 50' BELOW grade is chump change along with a 300' field.

Labor and a few games that this happens is not worth the expense.  Shady had winter performance tires! :P

ANYTHING can be done.  They hold the North Sea back.

031500turf_300x383.gif

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I like how the machine just pours the melted snow on the ground next to it.  Maybe they could run huge garden hoses out to the creek near the stadium where that dude drowned a few years ago?

I never said it would go there.  But you get the concept.  Pipe it to a big "cistern."

Don't be obtuse.  There is obviously more to be added to a system! :rolleyes:

Read up thread... 

Just build another stadium if they want to solve the snow problem...:rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

There was the little issue of a football game going on at the exact same time. I heard the snow only started an hour or two before game time. You can clear the filed, or play the game. I wouldn’t want to watch that every week, but I LOVED it. 

Heated field part of the system.

This isn't impossible people... Just cost a ton of $$$$ for one game every 3 years?

And what happens when people can't get to game (11/2014)???

Not worth it... Pay the people to shovel.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Heated field part of the system.

This isn't impossible people... Just cost a ton of $$$$ for one game every 3 years?

And what happens when people can't get to game (11/2014)???

Not worth it... Pay the people to shovel.

We looked into heated floors in our little old master bath as part of a renovation. We use that every day, but I look at the cost and the enormous surface at the Ralph, for a game or three??? And could it even keep up on a snow event like that? Or would the slush be even worse?