Why the NFL will never die

Foreigner

The money and greed was why I listed that before injury risk as a factor affecting the league.  Mark Cuban said greed would ruin the NFL and he may have a point.  You're already seeing on line sites wanting to stream games.  If the average fan who wants to turn on CBS or NBC is told they have to pay to watch, it will be interesting to see how many say forget it.  Plus the league is increasingly worried about in stadium attendance.  Not to mention the falloff in quality of play with Thursday night games and such.

Factors such as these will begin to affect advertising revenues if the league doesn't recognize the potential harm.  

College football is still huge.  The football powerhouses that get into the championship games are going strong.  A lot of those college players want to go professional.  Even if college football starts to decline, there will still be plenty of players who will want to go to the NFL. Maybe the caliber of the players will start to decline, but there will still be plenty of people who want to play. I don't think the game will die because of a lack of people who want to play. 

The popularity of the NFL may decline because of the high cost associated with going to games as well as the cost to TV networks to buy the rights to the games.   The other stuff is a distraction, but it won't kill the game.  Tweaking the rules and bad refs don't help, but they aren't going to kill it anytime soon.  The protests are hardly in the news anymore.

I often make a parallel to NASCAR.  NASCAR peaked about 20 years ago.  Now it's on less popular cable TV channels, and the stands rarely look crowded.  The cost of fielding a car and the constant search for sponsorships are factors that are causing many teams to give up.  The constant tweaking of the rules is also killing NASCAR.  I can't enjoy it anymore.  Stage racing, the chase for the championship, mystery cautions, and rules that make all the cars practically identical make it no fun.

The league has peaked with Brady, once he's gone it's downhill IMO, and not just because he retires. Brady will be kind of a historical landmark for when the league was at its best. NFL fans are a dying breed, it will fade away.

100 years from now there will be no NFL.

8 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

The league has peaked with Brady, once he's gone it's downhill IMO, and not just because he retires. Brady will be kind of a historical landmark for when the league was at its best. NFL fans are a dying breed, it will fade away.

100 years from now there will be no NFL.

....SCARIER part is you'll STILL be around..............

Is this a joke?

"Injuries"?  Yeah, this is a new phenomenon that will kill the league.

"Poor" TV ratings for a product that is far and away the most reliable ratings king ever?

"Sexual harassment" involving a bunch of former players in jobs not related to the NFL?

Too funny. People who can't stop clutching their pearls over football should get out and let the rest of us enjoy the game in peace.  Enough already with these types

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is this a joke?

"Injuries"?  Yeah, this is a new phenomenon that will kill the league.

"Poor" TV ratings for a product that is far and away the most reliable ratings king ever?

"Sexual harassment" involving a bunch of former players in jobs not related to the NFL?

Too funny. People who can't stop clutching their pearls over football should get out and let the rest of us enjoy the game in peace.  Enough already with these types

I think the injury/CTE concerns are a legit threat to the NFL in a few ways. Parents unwilling to let their kids play and the potential for lawsuits against the league to name two. 

Although I do think the NFL has been oversaturating their product with the Thursday night and other extra games, I agree, the poor tv ratings argument is a joke.  I'll change my mind if and when the world wide Super Bowl ratings start to suffer and advertisers stop going over the top with SB commercials.

18 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think the injury/CTE concerns are a legit threat to the NFL in a few ways. Parents unwilling to let their kids play and the potential for lawsuits against the league to name two. 

Although I do think the NFL has been oversaturating their product with the Thursday night and other extra games, I agree, the poor tv ratings argument is a joke.  I'll change my mind if and when the world wide Super Bowl ratings start to suffer and advertisers stop going over the top with SB commercials.

The league settled a lawsuit.  No legitimate suits going forward will succeed given what the players universally know about CTE.

Thursday night is a ratings winner---even more so than MNF.  Why would the NFL get rid of that?

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The league sealed a lawsuit.  No legitimate suits going forward will succeed given what the players universally know about CTE.

Thursday night is a ratings winner---even more so than MNF.  Why would the NFL get rid of that?

Because the players and coaches hate it and the quality of play is generally inferior

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Because the players and coaches hate it and the quality of play is generally inferior

None of that matters.  

These guys have to be the best at what they do for 16 or so days a year.  And for playing a kid's game, they are paid beyond our comprehension.  Also, there will never be a shortage of college players clamoring to get to the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The league sealed a lawsuit.  No legitimate suits going forward will succeed given what the players universally know about CTE.

I'm no law expert but I'm skeptical that the NFL has insulated themselves from future lawsuits. From my laymans perspective we are an overly litigious society and I never underestimate the power of a jury.

As for ratings, I didn't say the NFL would get rid of Thursday night. It's just my personal observation that between the week 1 Thursday opener and MNF double header, Sunday, Monday and Thursday night games, and late season Saturday night games the league may be over-saturating the product. But I also agreed with you that the poor ratings argument is a joke. I still watch most of those games.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

I'm no law expert but I'm skeptical that the NFL has insulated themselves from future lawsuits. From my laymans perspective we are an overly litigious society and I never underestimate the power of a jury.

As for ratings, I didn't say the NFL would get rid of Thursday night. It's just my personal observation that between the week 1 Thursday opener and MNF double header, Sunday, Monday and Thursday night games, and late season Saturday night games the league may be over-saturating the product. But I also agreed with you that the poor ratings argument is a joke. I still watch most of those games.

What argument could a current player make?  "I didn't know the risk"?  Nope.  Also, there is no way to pi  CTE on the NFl.  It cn easily, based on almost all current expert opinion, be concluded that most players enter the NFL with the greatest risk of accruing the hundreds or thousands of hits which cause the disease well behind them.  No one can argue credibly that pro football is the sole cause of CTE.

As for TNF, those games have been played for some years now.  No reason to say that suddenly the league is saturated.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

None of that matters.  

These guys have to be the best at what they do for 16 or so days a year.  And for playing a kid's game, they are paid beyond our comprehension.  Also, there will never be a shortage of college players clamoring to get to the NFL.

Wait till the next CBA negotiation

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

What argument could a current player make?  "I didn't know the risk"?  Nope.  Also, there is no way to pi  CTE on the NFl.  It cn easily, based on almost all current expert opinion, be concluded that most players enter the NFL with the greatest risk of accruing the hundreds or thousands of hits which cause the disease well behind them.  No one can argue credibly that pro football is the sole cause of CTE.

As for TNF, those games have been played for some years now.  No reason to say that suddenly the league is saturated.

What argument? Beats me, I'm surprised by what the lawyers come up with for lawsuits on a regular basis. Will they win? Beats me, perhaps not. Will all of this affect parents decisions on which sport their kids play? Seems plausible.

Did I say the league is "suddenly" saturated? For me, it has happened over time and honestly color rush adds to my fatigue...but as I said it hasn't affected my viewing habits yet and um...I did agree with you about the ratings, right? Did you read that part? 

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

What argument? Beats me, I'm surprised by what the lawyers come up with for lawsuits on a regular basis. Will they win? Beats me, perhaps not. Will all of this affect parents decisions on which sport their kids play? Seems plausible.

Did I say the league is "suddenly" saturated? For me, it has happened over time and honestly color rush adds to my fatigue...but as I said it hasn't affected my viewing habits yet and um...I did agree with you about the ratings, right? Did you read that part? 

I did read that yes.  And I agree with the color rush--ridiculous clown suits.

I guess some players can file a frivolous lawsuit. But what would be the point of a hopeless suit?  Prospective jurors (i.e. NFL fans) are tired of seeing these guys headhunt and cheap shot each other and then turn around and blame their employer for their future health problems.

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I think the player's union will come out strong against Thursday night games.

Then they will be coming out strong for a pay cut.  The NFL just got 900 million for 2 seasons ($45 million PER GAME) last year for TNF.

You really think that the NFLPA or even the players individually will take that pay cut for a game they have to play what, once a year??

No way at all the happens.

Edited by Mr. WEO