Some love for Bills fans from out-of-town writer

merlin

Bob Kravitz is a long-time sports writer from Indianapolis.   Here's part of an article he wrote following the Bills-Colts game on Sunday:

....  On a completely different subject, let me offer my praise to all those hearty (and slightly crazy) Bills fans, who filled the lower bowl of New Era Field and partially filled the upper deck, where you couldn’t possibly see anything due to the white out. We live in a city where the fans complain about being too hot or too cold when they open the roof on a 60-degree day. Buffalo fans are hardcore, and their showing was made all the more extraordinary by the fact the Bills haven’t been to the playoffs in nearly two decades.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Snow pants + winter coat + foot warmers = much more comfortable than being at the warm early season games getting a sunburn.

Better drinking and eating weather and less glare from the sun watching the game too.   

This rarity of a game isn't a reason for a dome...........a slippery field game like the Pittsburgh game last year would be why.  

Those are more common.  We've been  weather-lucky of late but I believe it was 1996 where it rained at like every home game.    That was tough to sit thru and hard on playmakers.

• Like (+1) 1

It's crazy that we keep getting rated at the bottom of "best/most supportive NFL fan bases" lists each year because of the stupid metrics they use. We're a team that hasn't made the playoffs going on 18 years, have horrible weather like this, and still sell out most games (or have far more people than we should willing to sit through crap like this past game).

Yet somehow these lists keep popping up of Best Fan Bases and the Bills (along with most small market teams) are near the bottom. That just shows their requirements for basing these rankings are horribly flawed.

Emory University Study - Bills ranked 16th (Top 5: Cowboys, Patriots, Eagles, Giants, Steelers) - https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2017/06/17/nfl-fan-base-and-brand-rankings-2017/

^ That's the "official" study that was widely circulated and reported on by NFL.com, ESPN, CBS Sports, Yahoo! and every other outlet. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Bills fans are the best and I sincerely hope that when a new stadium is built it is open air and the tailgating traditions continue.

I am pretty confident in the tailgating continuing (although it may be harder for people to go to private lots and jump through tables/fire), but I just can't see the team, city, and state investing in a new stadium without it being a retractable dome despite my wishes of staying outside especially after being at the game Sunday and seeing how amazing it was.