Beth Mowins and Jay Feely Calling Dolphins vs. Bills for CBS

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Peter said:

I that Mowins did a great job.

I have no complaints.

....we just forgot the TBD "One & Done Gang" includes rook announcers as well as GM's, HC's , rook players....the red carpet WELCOME mat is mined with pigeon droppings so you'll love coming here....

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

There are plenty of people who came in and offered their opinions. If the thread had stayed on point - everyone stating straight up opinions on the commentary, it would have ended yesterday. The people starting debates in here are the ones drawing it out. You can have an opinion that Beth was not good and not be a mysoginist. I get tired of people running in to tell me what I meant. I know what I meant when I wrote things. I found her voice annoying and I found her Bills knowledge lacking. There was no chemistry between the two and most of the attempts at lighthearted humor were awkward. Her pal came in here trying to equate her effort with her skill and I took issue with that logical fallacy. Where did I state that my personal opinion is law? 

Have you ever had an opinion about something, say food you tried for the first time that changed the more times you tried it? It grew on you? You realized the reason you didn't like mustard for a long time was your best friend growing up didn't like it, so you didn't like it, until after trying it enough times you realized you loved it (happened to me)? What happens if you listen to Mowins more and realize her voice stopped being annoying, and the reason you thought it was in the first place was because you were ingrained by society with biases that cloud your initial response.

This turned into a really interesting discussion though, and I didn't post in this thread until it was already at 6 or 7 pages, and was one of the first offering a different opinion. So when I said there was a 6 page thread dedicated to this topic, that already existed. Also, dude didn't say she should benefit from effort, he said she works real hard in a cut throat industry that is based on merit, therefore her success is due to her merit.

For the record, at no point have i said people are sexist for thinking her voice is grating. It is not the bias that makes you something, not even your inability to grow from that bias, but the refusal to better yourself through personal growth and introspection. Sort of like narcissistic personality disorder. People can be jerks, fly off the handle, be terrible with stressful situations where they look bad, that doesn't make one a narcissist...it's the refusal to acknowledge the need for personal growth when one understands the impact of their actions, and refusal to see it as a character flaw on their part, instead blaming others for being weak that is required for the diagnosis. Not saying people here have npsd at all, I'm saying I give people a lot of leeway before I start calling them something they may not be. 

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1

I have zero problem with a female announcer, nor with anything she had to say since I listen very little to most announcers. She just does not have a particularly appealing voice, but I got used to it (or tuned it out more) as the game went on. 

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

That's a shame. I loved his NFL calls.

"BEHIND THE SECONDARY!!"

Lol I'll still never forget his call when Denver beat Cinci on that pass to Stokley near the end of the game.. Must have been 10 years ago now.

STOKLEY!!! DOWNN THE SIDELINESSSS!!!!.

Awesome emotion he has

17 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

You can chose not to be like this. Spirit of Christmas or just spirit of being a better person and making the world a better place.  

In the spirit of Christmas and Jesus Christ, allow others to have their opinions and not attack them for having such opinions.  I mean that sincerely.  If a person attacks someone for having an opinion or that person is attacked, don't persecute them for defending themselves.  If a person has a different outlook or a preliminary outlook on a topic that requires no rhetoric nor rebuttal they should be allowed to freely voice their opinion.  If a dissenting view point was not asked for one should not be offered.

With that, I say Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.  I mean that sincerely.  

I got used to her voice. Didn't bother me after the first 10 minutes. Not the greatest sportscaster voice, but the golden voiced Joe Buck can be much more annoying, so that's not everything. She made a few mistakes on her calls. I don't know the business that well so I suppose that could be on a spotter, at least some of the time. It was definitely the "E" team at best, but overall they were ok. What I found most interesting: I thought she was awful when paired with Rex. Now I realize that's because Rex is awful. He'd drag down anyone he's paired with. 

I thought her color announcer was pretty uncolorful (Mr. McFeely from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood?).

She made a few mistakes such as "Two Yard Gain" when it was actually a Two Yard Loss.  Things like that.

Not great, Not bad.

I'm used to her voice because she announces a lot of college stuff.

I don't usually think too much about who the announcer is, and I won't care if she announces a game I'm watching or not.

2 hours ago, phypon said:

In the spirit of Christmas and Jesus Christ, allow others to have their opinions and not attack them for having such opinions.  I mean that sincerely.  If a person attacks someone for having an opinion or that person is attacked, don't persecute them for defending themselves.  If a person has a different outlook or a preliminary outlook on a topic that requires no rhetoric nor rebuttal they should be allowed to freely voice their opinion.  If a dissenting view point was not asked for one should not be offered.

With that, I say Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.  I mean that sincerely.  

Jesus would have enjoyed her broadcast and said things to support her. 

I’m  not playing that “call people on their hypocrisy” card that passes for moral argument. I’m celebrating that fact. 

Merry Christmas to you too. 

16 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Nice post, strong valid points

Also, careful with the Goldberg analogy, I totally get your point and it supports your argument, but someone might force your argument on the defensive by saying that the Goldberg move was clearly a publicity stunt, are you saying the same about Mowins? 

Thanks. Which part on Goldberg would be the stunt? The using him, or the demotion? At one point, he was actually considered a rising star thanks to his UFC work. This sounds weird probably, but Vince McMahon offered him a truckload of money to become the "Voice of WWE," because he wanted a more serious play-by-play guy at the time. Goldberg remained with UFC, and through their deal with FOX, he got a gig as their #7 guy that year. And he was savaged and had the meltdown. Now, he doesn't even have the UFC gig.

The crowd who thinks that Mowins is a publicity stunt is aided by the fact that she isn't exactly on the top-rung at ESPN college football. She's about 9th or 10th down the hierarchy and received fewer bowl game assignments than completely obscure guys. I see it as CBS took a flier on variety of factors: yes, she's female, but they want to test the waters, it was just 2 games this season, and Bills-Dolphins had the lowest distribution percentage of any game yesterday (6% of the country saw it). It's easier to take a chance and see what you have. A true publicity stunt would be ESPN sticking her with Flexy Rexy and Sergio, turning it into a circus on purpose.

I didn't get the Jay Feely nod at all though. He works for CBS, but isn't even on any of the top college crews. He was terrible on the UB-Army game this season. 

14 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I'll say it again: her knowledge was fine. Her pitch and tone was annoying.

There's nothing sexist about it, it just IS.

Their isn't anything sexist about that. You clearly lack an ability to understand nuance. Someone saying her voice is annoying is not the same as the guy I was quoting saying it just doesn't feel right to have a woman announce a football game. Talk about simple

Is anyone really surprised that a fan base that prides itself on chasing down anyone who says anything bad about them on twitter, #billsmafia, or takes pride in having over the top tailgates where women blow guys for jerseys, guys take shots off girls asses, or they become known for jumping through tables would have an issue with a woman announcing a game?

And I'm not saying all of you who didn't like her are in that boat, but this fan base does not earn any benefit of the doubt or project a good image of itself. This fan base is about as ignorant as it can get. 

1 hour ago, richstadiumowner said:

Oh heaven's no!

Your not supposed to say or notice how bad affirmative action and pc culture is.

And they wonder why we DON'T watch.

I can't believe you posted something this stupid after editing. You're an uneducated moron. What the hell does affirmative action have to do with any of this?

If I follow this thought to its' logical conclusion, which I imagine will be tough for you. You don't watch the games because you know if you do, they will make you say something that people will widely regard as stupid?

By all means then, please don't watch and please stop posting. 

Who is they? I mean really man, this post is just horrible and makes no sense.  

I love that it's always the people saying don't bring politics in to my sports bringing politics in to sports. AA and PC culture... WTF? What is PC about kneeling during the anthem since that's the only legitimate thing you could be offended by the NFL is responsible for. It's the opposite of PC. And also, you're still watching. More empty threats there. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

On 12/17/2017 at 2:10 PM, row_33 said:

I watched a series and she called the Bills QB McCoy twice.

Welcome back. How long did you quit the Bills for? 

Most posters go about 3 days after one of those "I quit this team" outbursts. It's like clearing waivers.

The anthem protest people were hard core. They lasted maybe 8 days. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/17/2017 at 4:55 PM, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Agreed, the announcers mean very little to me. Has there ever been a game in Buffalo where weather wasn’t mentioned? It seems like whenever it’s 65 in September they mention how “balmy” it is. As if 65 is unusual for September in Buffalo. 

I’ve dealt with this for 30+ years living in California. Many people when I say I was from Buffalo comment on it being cold, even those from other countries.  It just has more publicity as being a cold place than places like Minnesota that are actually colder.

On 12/18/2017 at 5:55 PM, NewCardsFan said:

I didn't get the Jay Feely nod at all though. He works for CBS, but isn't even on any of the top college crews. He was terrible on the UB-Army game this season. 

Yeah, what does a kicker know about football?

On 12/18/2017 at 4:27 PM, HardyBoy said:

Have you ever had an opinion about something, say food you tried for the first time that changed the more times you tried it? It grew on you? You realized the reason you didn't like mustard for a long time was your best friend growing up didn't like it, so you didn't like it, until after trying it enough times you realized you loved it (happened to me)? What happens if you listen to Mowins more and realize her voice stopped being annoying, and the reason you thought it was in the first place was because you were ingrained by society with biases that cloud your initial response.

This turned into a really interesting discussion though, and I didn't post in this thread until it was already at 6 or 7 pages, and was one of the first offering a different opinion. So when I said there was a 6 page thread dedicated to this topic, that already existed. Also, dude didn't say she should benefit from effort, he said she works real hard in a cut throat industry that is based on merit, therefore her success is due to her merit.

For the record, at no point have i said people are sexist for thinking her voice is grating. It is not the bias that makes you something, not even your inability to grow from that bias, but the refusal to better yourself through personal growth and introspection. Sort of like narcissistic personality disorder. People can be jerks, fly off the handle, be terrible with stressful situations where they look bad, that doesn't make one a narcissist...it's the refusal to acknowledge the need for personal growth when one understands the impact of their actions, and refusal to see it as a character flaw on their part, instead blaming others for being weak that is required for the diagnosis. Not saying people here have npsd at all, I'm saying I give people a lot of leeway before I start calling them something they may not be. 

I think it's possible to way over complicate issues like this.  You mentioned that someone said her success was based on merit, I'd humbly offer that while probable, there is no way to know that.  She could be the great grand niece of the founder of cbs, an alum of the same school as the guy responsible for programming, or the best candidate to ever walk in the door.  It's possible, to, to consider whether being a pioneer in her field (from a gender perspective) resulted in both hardship and opportunity.  

I did the best I could...I watched and listened and moved on.  I wasn't a fan at first, considered the experience a push by the end, though I'm usually not a fan of most broadcasts.  I'm not a sexist, but I think I am an announcerist.  I can live with that, and with the knowledge that not everything is a teachable moment for everyone.  

• Like (+1) 1