"Colts-Bills was the game of the year" - NFL in 90

BigDingus

I thought it was refreshing and unique.  Wasnt over officiated.  Every inch wasnt contested and disputed via coaches challenges and replays.  It was a throwback.  Some of the most extreme conditions ever.  It was a spectacle.

Obviously, nobody wants or expects that to happen every week... and most likely it will never happen again

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I thought it was refreshing and unique.  Wasnt over officiated.  Every inch wasnt contested and disputed via coaches challenges and replays.  It was a throwback.  Some of the most extreme conditions ever.  It was a spectacle.

Obviously, nobody wants or expects that to happen every week... and most likely it will never happen again

I think that was what made the OPI on the two point conversion so ridiculously surprising - they basically gave everyone full permission to hold all game long, then they called a massively delayed ticky-tack foul on a game-changing score.  I was incredulous.  It was like "Just give it to 'em" in reverse!

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The only one I hear gripe about it was Mike Golic Jr because the 2 missed FG's might cost AV a Half Million dollar bonus for reaching 90% rate at the end of the season.   He went from 95% to 88 Sunday. 

Well and Colts fans

He only needs to go 5-5 through the rest of the season AND he gets to kick in a dome much of the season.  He'll be ok.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I watched it at home and thought it was a lot of fun.  To me it was one of the most memorable and interesting games of the year.

Part of the appeal I suppose was the nostalgia value.  The game reminded me of the snowy sandlot games I played growing up in Cheektowaga.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I loved it! (But I didn't have to play in it or watch from the stands.) Very memorable.

And, it made me very glad I live north of Buffalo. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hate games like Sunday.  I like to see world class athletes at their best and not conditions that limit them severely.  I like conditions where you can actually play full football and not limited to only running the ball and anything over 30 yards for a FG is a crap shoot.

Its just a personal preference.

I just read that the game was the 2nd highest rated viewers in a decade.  

Highest rating was 46.9 on December 16, 2007 at Cleveland

46.7: Second-highest TV rating for a Bills game since 2000 (according to Buffalo News)

8: Inches of snow that fell between 12 noon and 4:00 pm during Sunday’s Bills-Colts game.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Don't forget this game! http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/thunder/ne2.html 

Vinatieri missed a kick that would have ended the game in regulation in that one too. He must hate the Ralph!

That Patriots game was more memorable as someone who attended it because the roads were absolute chaos afterwards..........much of the snow came late or after the game......it had pretty much stopped at the end of the game this past Sunday so the municipalities were able to get roads cleared.   

Conditions were worse watching that Pats game too...........it was brutal windy and sleet flying in your eyes.........very few people hung around to watch the end........we were in the lower bowl and could just move up and down the field with the team.

That was the last time the Bills and Pats were in the same league........it's been sweepsville ever since.

I think a lot of the snow drama in this game Sunday was due in great part to the Dolphins game last year where the grounds crew used tractors with rotary brushes mounted on the front to clear snow off the field..........and accidentally swept most of the cushioning pellets off the field in the process.:lol:

They probably could have kept the field relatively clear if they used those tractor brushes again but apparently haven't worked the kinks of that process out yet.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MDH said:

I swear the only ones who thought that was something special are the people who didn't sit through it in real time on TV. Watching some highlights of the game and calling it "special" isn't the same as watching the teams run it 3 straight times and punt over and over again (or 4 straight times and turn it over on downs.)

It was a brutal game to watch with three drives that had anything resembling excitement. Watch those 3 drives and you could get excited about how amazing that game was, watch all the others and you'd wake up, wipe the drool from your mouth and wonder if you missed anything.

I've found most of McDermott season one to be an unwatchable, boring, self-inflicted re-boot of Jauron Ball...........but at least this time there was actually a reason for being conservative aside from simply playing scared as McD is so inclined to.

Add in a brisk pace of play,  very few penalties and the victorious outcome and it was fun to watch.

The three white knuckle games.........Carolina, Atlanta and KC.........all left me wishing I could have those 3 hours of my life back.    

Just unwatchable, clinical barf-ball.

I am praying that this team goes all-in on improving the passing game this offseason..........I can't sit thru another year of Jauron Ball.

Need some players that can force McD to poke his head out of his shell.     Too many built-in excuses with these lumbering WR's.

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The only one I hear gripe about it was Mike Golic Jr because the 2 missed FG's might cost AV a Half Million dollar bonus for reaching 90% rate at the end of the season.   He went from 95% to 88 Sunday. 

Geez....sure hope he can still feed his kids!

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-90-colts-bills-game-023135073.html

This feels like the most recognition the team has got in ages. Even when we're on win streaks to start off the season, the attention seem superficial. This time though people are still talking about this game like it's some all-time classic. I can't go online without seeing yet another meme made out of it, or another cool story that came from it (like Bills players helping fans who had cars stuck in the snow). 

Really entertaining to keep reading & watching more cool coverage of this game. Seems football fans around the country are just fascinated by it.

Yes he mentioned the Colts' kicker (being an ex NE Cheater) but neglecting to mention the Bills kickers including some tremendous punting. 

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the announcers said a number of times Buffalo has not been kind to him.

I am still trying to figure out how that one PAT kick that was clearly a foot out from the post (to the left on my TV) hooked back in for the try.  The must have been one hell of a gust of wind, 

Didn't they say he was 11 of 21 all time kicking in Buffalo? I believe they said that when he was lining up for the 43 yard extra point, but they were referring to FG's.

So make it 11 of 22 now (as I assume they included the one he missed earlier). Adam Vinatieri being a 50% FG kicker in Buffalo is pretty nutty to think about. He either just has bad days playing here, or he just has the worst luck ever & always ends up playing us in terrible weather.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

And just think.... With a dome it would have been just another forgettable playoff elimination.

Long live winter games in outdoor stadiums!

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of what the guy in the video is saying without specifically mentioning a dome. Basically saying the game looks too sterilized & perfect all the time, and the presentation is so doctored up it hardly resembles the game as it used to be.