"Colts-Bills was the game of the year" - NFL in 90

BigDingus

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-90-colts-bills-game-023135073.html

This feels like the most recognition the team has got in ages. Even when we're on win streaks to start off the season, the attention seem superficial. This time though people are still talking about this game like it's some all-time classic. I can't go online without seeing yet another meme made out of it, or another cool story that came from it (like Bills players helping fans who had cars stuck in the snow). 

Really entertaining to keep reading & watching more cool coverage of this game. Seems football fans around the country are just fascinated by it.

• Like (+1) 2

Kevin Kaduk got it right.  With all the NFL games looking like well choreographed productions, that game was special ...  an echo of earlier times  when the game of football was simpler ... and maybe more joyous.  The shots after Shady's TD of the Bills players in the end zone with snow showering down on the players and fans were cool, but the shot of Matt Milano making a snow angel after the winning TD was the best!  

Edited by SoTier

I swear the only ones who thought that was something special are the people who didn't sit through it in real time on TV. Watching some highlights of the game and calling it "special" isn't the same as watching the teams run it 3 straight times and punt over and over again (or 4 straight times and turn it over on downs.)

It was a brutal game to watch with three drives that had anything resembling excitement. Watch those 3 drives and you could get excited about how amazing that game was, watch all the others and you'd wake up, wipe the drool from your mouth and wonder if you missed anything.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

I swear the only ones who thought that was something special are the people who didn't sit through it in real time on TV. Watching some highlights of the game and calling it "special" isn't the same as watching the teams run it 3 straight times and punt over and over again (or 4 straight times and turn it over on downs.)

It was a brutal game to watch with three drives that had anything resembling excitement. Watch those 3 drives and you could get excited about how amazing that game was, watch all the others and you'd wake up, wipe the drool from your mouth and wonder if you missed anything.

I'm gonna disagree. I enjoyed every minute of it (aside from the last 2 minutes of regulation, which I hated). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MDH said:

I derived more enjoyment watching that game than any other Bills game I've watched this decade save for the victory over the Pats in 2011. It will go down as one of my favorite football viewing experiences ever. I loved that game. Everything about it.

• Like (+1) 4

So much about the NFL is pre-calibrated.  The coaches know everything their players can and can't do, and just about everything the other team's players can do.  They figure out everything that's possible to do, and at the 90% level that's what happens.  It's the occasional mistake and the rare incredible play that make the difference.  If the Bills and Colts had played on a dry field, the Bills win 8 out of 10 times by 10 points. 

This was a game where there was a great equalizer.  Gore and McCoy were the only two who apparently had things figured out.  Everyone else was stumblin rumblin bumblin big guy. 

Anyway, I love it that there was a game when all the pre-packaging went out the window.  Two teams slugging it out, trying to impose their will.  I thought at halftime that if the Bills could get another TD and go up 14-0, the Colts would lose heart and the rout would be on.  But NP got hurt and there was no magic outcome.  And then the Colts went on that long drive and seemed to get fired up about their chances, and the Bills D could never make a key stop. 

And this is what football should be about.  Guys trying hard and digging deep for the courage and determination to impose their will on the opponent.  No cheap shots, no dirty play, just trying to play as well as possible.  I loved it.

• Like (+1) 5

52 minutes ago, MDH said:

I disagree. My impressions: 1st quarter-most enjoyable start to a game in a long time. Just weird/unique. 2nd quarter: boredom overtakes novelty. A few yards and a puff of snow. Repeat. Then the McCoy runs and KB catches and I'm locked in again. 2nd half and OT: the best game I've seen this year. Like a scoreless pitchers duel from the 6th - 11th innings. Every play is critical because one mistake will likely doom your team. And then the mistakes happen (Tolbert fumble, McD punt in OT) but somehow we wind up on top. Perfection. If you love football, you loved this game. If you hated this game, you don't really love football. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It was a spectacle for sure. It had the uniqueness factor going for it, but let's not pretend like it was good football or anything. I wouldn't want to sit through a game like that anymore than once every five seasons or so, personally.

Agree.

I think people find it an interesting curiosity, especially if they didn't sit through the entirety of the actual game.

I was surprised at how many Bills fans in the GDT were really opposed to having to play the game under those weather conditions.  Not every football fan thought it was cool, for sure.

Don't worry about your once in 5 years thing....in reality, that is like a once in 40 year game. 

I guess we played a very similar game against the Bengals in the Rockpile in 1969.  That was the last one of these that actually impacted the Bills, at least in terms of ridiculous amounts of snow on the field, really bad visibility, etc.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Agree.

I think people find it an interesting curiosity, especially if they didn't sit through the entirety of the actual game.

I was surprised at how many Bills fans in the GDT were really opposed to having to play the game under those weather conditions.  Not every football fan thought it was cool, for sure.

Don't worry about your once in 5 years thing....in reality, that is like a once in 40 year game. 

I guess we played a very similar game against the Bengals in the Rockpile in 1969.  That was the last one of these that actually impacted the Bills, at least in terms of ridiculous amounts of snow on the field, really bad visibility, etc.

Don't forget this game! http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/thunder/ne2.html 

Vinatieri missed a kick that would have ended the game in regulation in that one too. He must hate the Ralph!

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Don't forget this game! http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/thunder/ne2.html 

Vinatieri missed a kick that would have ended the game in regulation in that one too. He must hate the Ralph!

the announcers said a number of times Buffalo has not been kind to him.

I am still trying to figure out how that one PAT kick that was clearly a foot out from the post (to the left on my TV) hooked back in for the try.  The must have been one hell of a gust of wind, 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

the announcers said a number of times Buffalo has not been kind to him.

I am still trying to figure out how that one PAT kick that was clearly a foot out from the post (to the left on my TV) hooked back in for the try.  The wind must have been one hell of a gust of wind, 

that wind was horizontal - you could see it in how the snow was moving. The same exact thing happened on his next kick - he just made the mistake of kicking it dead center. It would have been perfect in other conditions.

I loved it, especially the fact that you could move around to any seat you wanted in the 2nd half.

We had front row upper deck, normally a killer seat but after the first quarter we noticed all the empties in the lower levels and slid down to even better seats because the viz was changing from decent to sketchy pretty fast..   My kids mostly stayed put but they had great lower seats anyway.

Kudos to the crowd for not hurling too many snowballs, we had a friend wearing a Colts jersey and he never took a hit.   

Another funny thing I havent seen mentioned here is the club seats were 99% empty.  Everyone was inside watching from the warmth, which is understandable I guess but if you were dressed properly like we were, there was no other place to be than out in the madness.   For those of you who stayed on the couch because the Bills don't have enough wins for your liking this year, you made a mistake.

Only in Buffalo man..  I can't imagine any other NFL city going through with that game, and weather forecast for lake effect.  It would have been preemptively postponed like the game in Philly a couple years ago (in the name of safety for the fans).  Maybe Green bay is another city it would've been played.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Only in Buffalo man..  I can't imagine any other NFL city going through with that game, and weather forecast for lake effect.  It would have been preemptively postponed like the game in Philly a couple years ago (in the name of safety for the fans).  Maybe Green bay is another city it would've been played.

I was actually surprised they didn't put the game on pause when the lightning and thunder started. 

I watched it at home and thought it was a lot of fun.  To me it was one of the most memorable and interesting games of the year.

Part of the appeal I suppose was the nostalgia value.  The game reminded me of the snowy sandlot games I played growing up in Cheektowaga.