Tyrod Trade Value This Offseason

wppete

28 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

In a QB-driven league, someone out there sees Tyrod as a QB who could potentially succeed in the right scheme. But given the uncertainty of that, plus the fact that he's only under contract for one more year, PLUS the fact that if the Bills want to move in another direction then they're likely to cut him in the offseason, I don't see anyone giving us more than a late-round pick - maybe a 5th if we're lucky.

Tyrod had his 15 minutes in the "right scheme" under Rex and it didn't work, unfortunately for him nobody else runs the "right scheme" for him to sort of be successful in.

No GM anywhere is giving up a draft pick for a guy who has twice thrown for under 75 yards in a game this year, averages less than 175 yards and 1 TD passing per game and has had multiple defensive opponents say just have to make him be a QB to beat him. 

Defensive coordinators have him figured out and i'm sure a GM would ask the O coach, D coach and head coach for their input on potentially trading a draft pick for Tyrod. No way does he not become a FA. 

I heard a part of this scenario on another post but i added to it .

In this years draft the G men have the second over all pick & seeing as Cordy has been nursing a foot ailment & Tyrod doesn't seem as though he will be around next year take the first round pick from KC package it with Cordy & Tyrod for their second over all first round pick !!

The Giants need a proven LT & the Bills could get rid of his contract especially as Dawkins has filled in very well & can be around longer for cheaper !! 

I know it's a good dream but hey that's what Bills fans do best ...

I really hope he gets a chance to start for someone next year just so all the media "experts" who talked him up as if he were some all-time great when he got benched can eat crow. 

The same people that watched none of our games, saw highlights and box scores, then threw out how awesome he is as if they actually have a clue will be forced to recognize what kind of player he really is.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Honestly though if we were going to roll with Bradford I'd rather just let the rookie start from day 1. There's a real good chance at some point Bradford will miss games forcing the new guy to start.  So why not let him get all the 1st team reps and make him as ready as possible? 

The idea is to not go into the draft in a desperate situation needing a qb

My guess is at least a 6th or 7th round pick. Cassels was traded for a 7th not too long ago. It could get higher in the right circumstances or if there are 2 teams interested. In ideal circumstances, Bradford went for a 1st and I believe a 4th but the timing of the trade was great for the eagles. 

Tyrod’s contract is reasonable for a bridge starter and if a qb were to go down in training camp or spring workouts on a decent team his price in terms of draft picks could definitely go up.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that is true, but not because teams won't be interested in signing TT.

The Bills owe Taylor a $6M roster bonus at the start of the league season.  Why would Bills pay it then eat the bonus by trading him?  Certainly not worth it for a late round pick.

So teams will say, "we just wait for TT to be cut then we sign him".

Now if there is some "out" clause where the Bills can sign him and trade him before the bonus comes due, perhaps, but then you gotta ask what teams will see him as worth $16-17M?

6 mill roster bonus is not due until 3rd day of league year. League year starts Mar 14 at 4 pm and 1st day is only 8 hours as it ends at midnight so the 3 days are Mar 14 15 16 2018. Not clear if that means they have all day on that 3rd day to trade him to avoid it or if they must get it done by end of 2nd day.

So they have a couple days to trade him and avoid the roster bonus.

The prorated sign bonus already paid out is never going away with a cut or trade and they will have 8.64 mill dead cap in 2018 if they trade/cut him or it will be part of his salary against the cap if they keep him.

So to "RECAP":   If they cut or trade Bills have dead cap of 8.640 mill in 2018

If they keep him they have cap hit of 18 mill.

so 10 mill more to keep him as b/u or bridge vs cut/trade.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

If they trade him in the window the new team pays him 16 mill.

If they trade him after they pay the roster bonus then Bills dead cap is 14.640 mill. But new team only has to pay TT 10 mill for one year. Not sure if Bills could get a high enough draft pick that would be worth almost 7 mill of cap space.

36 minutes ago, cba fan said:

6 mill roster bonus is not due until 3rd day of league year. League year starts Mar 14 at 4 pm and 1st day is only 8 hours as it ends at midnight so the 3 days are Mar 14 15 16 2018. Not clear if that means they have all day on that 3rd day to trade him to avoid it or if they must get it done by end of 2nd day.

So they have a couple days to trade him and avoid the roster bonus.

The prorated sign bonus already paid out is never going away with a cut or trade and they will have 8.64 mill dead cap in 2018 if they trade/cut him or it will be part of his salary against the cap if they keep him.

So to "RECAP":   If they cut or trade Bills have dead cap of 8.640 mill in 2018

If they keep him they have cap hit of 18 mill.

so 10 mill more to keep him as b/u or bridge vs cut/trade.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

If they trade him in the window the new team pays him 16 mill.

If they trade him after they pay the roster bonus then Bills dead cap is 14.640 mill. But new team only has to pay TT 10 mill for one year. Not sure if Bills could get a high enough draft pick that would be worth almost 7 mill of cap space.

Good gouge on the 3 days to trade or what have you.  But I don't think it' really changes the trade math too much.

You're a GM interested in Taylor.  Do you: 

1) do a hurry-up deal with the Bills and take Tyrod at his current contract, knowing they don't want to pay that bonus if he's not in their plans

2) sit back in your office chair and hum a few bars of Tom Petty, then ring up Taylor's agent after the Turk visits?

I think GMs go for 2.  On the one hand, if there are several parties interested, they may need to get in a bidding war. 

On the other hand, as many have pointed out -  Taylor does have a specialized skill set, which may limit his "takers" and his asking price.  Overall I'd guess GMs who want Taylor take the risk.

On 12/13/2017 at 6:27 AM, dneveu said:

The idea is to not go into the draft in a desperate situation needing a qb

Who said Bradford is Kolb 2.0?    Right on IMO.  Bradford (and Kolb) were the illusion you would not go into the draft or season in a desperate situation needing a QB.

Truth is, a veteran is only insurance against a desperate situation if said vet is durable.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/12/2017 at 9:52 AM, ProcessTheTrust said:

A team that is a QB away from at least being a sure WC team doesn't see him as the guy. Who else will? He's on his way back to backing up a legit starter. His ceiling has been exposed for everyone to see.

Anyone who needs a QB and plans to draft a rookie, but wants veteran insurance against pushing the rookie too fast, and with an OC more flexible and creative than Dennison appears to be?

That still doesn't mean he's got trade value.  Buffalo has "tipped their hand" about Taylor and any team or teams that want him will just wait 'til he's cut and renegotiate his contract to suit themselves.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Anyone who needs a QB and plans to draft a rookie, but wants veteran insurance against pushing the rookie too fast, and with an OC more flexible and creative than Dennison appears to be?

That still doesn't mean he's got trade value.  Buffalo has "tipped their hand" about Taylor and any team or teams that want him will just wait 'til he's cut and renegotiate his contract to suit themselves.

how can you creative with taylor.  he is so limited in what he can do 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Personally I think $18 million is too much for insurance.

23 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Animal house   0.0 

agreed.  Roll with Peterman as the backup.  

It is 10 mill more to keep TT one more year through 2018. As the 8.64 dead cap hits regardless of cut trade. So 10 million for insurance not 18 mill.

I agree completely I would go with Peterman. Maybe even Peterman as bridge if we ever get to see him develop.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Well he did preside over the best bills scoring offense since 2004- for two consecutive years... 

im sure someone has a defense that could win when paired with that. 

I wanted Tyrod and Shady to be the faces of this franchise. I respect Tyrod a lot as well. Spending his own money on players and spending on extra training time with wide receivers. Going to the new coaches press conferences. He played hurt. He took a pay cut. He could of ran out of town like St. Doug.

I know something was very wrong with the offense this year. I'm no expert and I wouldn't say it was all Tyrod. I do think that some of the negative people present about his play is starting to catch up to him and define him. 

Yes he got us close. I mean it when I said I wish he made us an instant contender. I will definitely keep track of how he does if he leaves the Bills and I'm assuming he is. 

I'm neutral on him for the most part. I have alot of respect but I also have some negative thoughts on him as well. I hope he doesn't play these last 3 games in safe mode. Even if he throws interceptions. If I could talk to him I'd say to much time was already wasted. Don't waste these last games go for 5 passing touch downs.

I dedicate the song "The Saftey Dance" by Men Without Hats to Tyrod. 

Edited by Lfod

I can think of 3 teams that he could be the starter on right now, never mind after the season is over. He is not going to be a backup unless he goes to a team that already has their established starter.

It's not even based on whether he is good enough or not to be a starter wherever he goes, it's the fact that he is just flat out better than a lot of guys playing right now, for teams like the Browns, Cardinals and Texans he would be an instant upgrade.

I have no doubt a team will gamble on Tyrod. I'd say there's a 75% chance that Tyrod will start for whichever team picks him up next year.

Edited by paulbills

On 12/14/2017 at 12:58 PM, cba fan said:

It is 10 mill more to keep TT one more year through 2018. As the 8.64 dead cap hits regardless of cut trade. So 10 million for insurance not 18 mill.

I agree completely I would go with Peterman. Maybe even Peterman as bridge if we ever get to see him develop.

Still have Dead cap hits as well 2019 on if you keep him next year. Just be done with him.