Draft a QB or pay for one?

Ramza86

Pay a QB or draft a QB?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which route do you take?

• Pay premium dollar for an FA QB and keep the picks
    • Use those picks and potentially trade up for a top prospect QB?

I'm all for whatever would work. It is my opinion that we need to be able to develop our own QB. I'm open minded and will give the benefit of the doubt until it doesn't work.

I want this organization to learn how to draft and develop a QB. I'm skeptical of taking some one else's cast off and making it a success. In the end I am neutral and just say do whatever it takes.

Edited by Lfod

If you spend the draft picks to get one of the top QB's you had better have someone who can develop him into an elite franchise QB and also upgrade the line to protect him.

Jim Kelly had Ted Marchibroda who taught him the playbook and also taught him to call all his own plays. Over the years the Bills haven't had either the QB or a man to develop him properly. Much less a decent Oline to help them develop as JP was always seeing/hearing phantom sackers after getting pounded on so often and Trent was concussed out of the NFL.

Then considering this team passed on Deshawn Watson, I'm not so sure they can even properly evaluate a college QB as to who to select.

It's for certain this team needs more than a game manager like Tyrod or even a more advanced version much like Alex Smith. Jim Kelly was a gunslinger but he also had a very solid team around him, line, receivers, coaches. He also had Thurman Thomas to hand the ball off to who was 60-70% of the offense. Be nice to see this team finally find the next Kelly. They already have the RB in Shady. 

Draft.

Real legit QBs almost never change teams, so if you go FA you get a midrange starter at best, but pay him like the best ever (literally, any decent qb hits the market will be highest paid ever).

Draft a guy, he may bust... But will be cheap, and there is a chance at him being a true "franchise QB", meaning an elite, 10 year starter that is capable of getting you a ring.

DRAFT by a mile.

If you hit on a QB drafted you get a nice period where they are paid far below market value which you can use to build quickly a strong roster. Second a young QB is far more moldable then a guy who has seasoning already.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

We draft a QB....   and we move up to do so.

I think this is what will happen -- and what should happen.  I'd like to have a shot at Rosen or Darnold, but I think we'll be aiming for third choice.

Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, Rudolph is my current order 3 - 6.  I see more Brees than Manziel in Mayfield, despite the immaturity which I think he'll grow out of.

• Like (+1) 1

These are estimates.

Right now, looking at standings our 1st from KC is 16 (1000pts),  our pick is 20 (850pts).  Our second round picks will be worth about 420 and 380.  The list of teams ahead of us: 

1. (3000pts)  Browns: QB is very likely (new GM, Kizer underwhelming)

2.  (2600pts) Giants: QB is very likely

3.  (2200pts) 49ers: QB is possible (but less likely due to Jimmy)

5.  (1700pts) Broncos: QB is possible (no sign they are sold on Lynch)

9.  (1350pts) Redskins: QB is necessary if they lose Cousins

10.  (1300) Jets: quite probable

11.  (1250) Bengals: possible

A move up to 3rd or 4th pick would require both firsts, and a second.  and that gets you the third QB off the board.  Is anyone here sold on the idea that the third selected QB in the draft is worth 2 first round picks and 1 or 2 second round picks?  Is one first and one second round pick worth trading for the 4th choice of QB in the draft?

2017: 3rd qb: Mahomes, 4th QB: kizer

2016: 3rd qb: Paxton Lynch, 4th: Connor Cook

2015: 3rd qb: Bryce Petty, 4th: Garret Grayson

And yes, I know there are better QBs in the 2017, 16, 15 drafts than those listed above, but they were taken later and wouldn't need to be acquired by a trade-up.

I'm not sure selling the farm for 3rd choice is the way to go.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

what is brees record over the last few years? need a team around the guy to succeed. if we can get him for nothing or very little. then surround with a draft class like last year we will be on our way to long success

He's not as good as Brees, never was. 

I'd like to put it out there as "crazy talk" that the best answer might be....do both!

I thought the Eagles were pretty nuts when they traded for Sam Bradford while they had Nick Foles.  I thought StL got the better end of that swap.

I thought they were even nuttier when, having traded for Sam Bradford, they signed him to an extension - THEN traded up for Wentz.

But how do they look now?  They got a 1st and 4th round pick for Bradford.  Wentz has been playing well.  And they were able to resign Foles as a capable backup.

• Like (+1) 1