The McDermott Thread

DollaBills

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Do you think perhaps that his conservative coaching approach may be a reflection of his personnel, most specifically on offense?  His QB for example is regarded as a game manager who takes care of the football.  I would contend that his gameplans are less of a reflection of him as a coach, and more of what he has to work with.  

As some have stated...I’m interested to see how he does with a real QB and some additional pieces.

It's possible. He is a defensive coach though and defensive head coaches generally lean towards the conservative side. Not all the time but most of the time.

Well let's just hope they draft their guy in next year's draft and get a competent offensive coordinator to develop the young QB

19 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think this is where we differ.  Dennison has been a huge problem, and IMO, is responsible for the Carolina and Cincy losses due to his inept playcalling.  You can also look at him for the Jets loss, he insisted on running into a five man stacked front.  Then there is his blocking scheme which the OLine is still struggling with.

Tyrod and the offense had much better production last year, so why the drop off this year?  Don't get me wrong, I think it is time to move on from Tyrod, but he's not the only problem.

Yes we do differ on our opinions of who is mostly at fault.

I blame Tyrod because this is OC#3 sorry man but after 2 others could not make him a better QB it is hard for me to blame #3. I get why many want to put some blame on our current OC and maybe it is just but IMO McD should look at the full picture that our current OC is in with Tyrod. When Tyrod was brought back the first thing I thought was year 1 that OC will be fired and blamed for the offensive problems and that was before the season even started and here we are a hot topic of him being fired. The same was said about our last 2 OCs that they stink but yet here we are with both doing well in the NFL. Things that should make you go hmmmm? Will our current OC also look better on a different team with a better QB like the other 2?

IMO if our current OC fails with our new QB next year only then I will agree it is the OC at fault. 

35 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Do you think perhaps that his conservative coaching approach may be a reflection of his personnel, most specifically on offense?  His QB for example is regarded as a game manager who takes care of the football.  I would contend that his gameplans are less of a reflection of him as a coach, and more of what he has to work with.  

As some have stated...I’m interested to see how he does with a real QB and some additional pieces.

Good post man

Edited by xRUSHx

I like McDermott and his vision of a team...for the most part. I wish we played with more attitude/edge, but perhaps that is partly on the players we have on the roster and he will bring more players with edge in. 

I do not like that he IS NOT learning from his in-game mistakes. He preaches all the time about the process, and how you have to continue to learn and build from both good things and bad things..yet he is still mis managing time clock/game management issues. So he is clearly NOT learning and it bothers me more than anything else he has done here. 

Hopefully the end of the season will give him more time to reflect and rectify his own personal process, but I do like the way he is building this team while still fielding a competitive (kind of) product. 

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Things that should make you go hmmmm? Will our current OC also look better on a different team with a better QB like the other 2?

Highly doubt Dennison looks any better on a different team.  But I'm willing to find out.

Regarding our last 2 OC's: Greg Roman was basically scapegoated by Rex.  I seem to recall several posters on this board having issues with Roman two years ago, as well as the first two games last year, and not sorry to see him go.  I thought he was so-so, but also over complicated the playbook.  Enter Anthony Lynn.  He simplified the playbook and tailored the offense to Tyrod; our offense was not the problem last year.  So Anthony Lynn got a HC positon with the Chargers.  If he sucked last year with Tyrod and the offense, do you think he would have been promoted?  I don't.

Again, I think Dennison is the problem and I do not see him being successful anywhere other than behind Gary Kubiak or Mike Shanahan, neither of which are coaching.  Dennison struggles on his own.  Hopefully McDermott sees this.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Highly doubt Dennison looks any better on a different team.  But I'm willing to find out.

Regarding our last 2 OC's: Greg Roman was basically scapegoated by Rex.  I seem to recall several posters on this board having issues with Roman two years ago, as well as the first two games last year, and not sorry to see him go.  I thought he was so-so, but also over complicated the playbook.  Enter Anthony Lynn.  He simplified the playbook and tailored the offense to Tyrod; our offense was not the problem last year.  So Anthony Lynn got a HC positon with the Chargers.  If he sucked last year with Tyrod and the offense, do you think he would have been promoted?  I don't.

Again, I think Dennison is the problem and I do not see him being successful anywhere other than behind Gary Kubiak or Mike Shanahan, neither of which are coaching.  Dennison struggles on his own.  Hopefully McDermott sees this.

Roman had to go primarily because he wasn't getting the plays called into the huddle in time.   That was an egregious failure at one of his most important duties.   That was why he was fired.

If it wasn't for that, he likely wouldn't have been fired.  (my opinion)

11 hours ago, DollaBills said:

It seems to me there is a lot of talk about McDermott on the forum so I thought maybe we could have a conclusive, and singular thread about our rookie head coach.

It is fairly difficult to judge McDermott with such a small sample size of games under his belt as HC.

His success or failures in our eyes may also hinge upon persons like Dennison, Frazier, and of course Tyrod.

Remember when we were 5-2 and there was this comfy feeling that we finally found a stable head coach who had his wits about him and rallied the team to scrappy victories( sideline celebration in Raiders game)?

Remember terrible, terrible clock management skills and boneheaded benchings? 

Where do you stand? Surely there are lower hanging fruit on the tree to can... Is McDermott too conservative? Sound off!

Conclusive singular thread? Thats hilarious. How about a thread where everyone is firmly entrenched in their position and anyone who doesnt agree with them is a retard, a moron, or a retarded moron. 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think the he got a promotion idea is a little too much, sure he got offered another job but so did Rex. I can not get over the fact many say he got a promotion this year when he was first let go by the Bills, the Bills fired him. He was not offered a job to return so he was first fired before some team gave him a offer. I tend to consider a promotion as if the same team that promoted you is the one giving it. I compare it to Tyrod, he could not land a starter job in Baltimore so Baltimore let him go but he got a promotion to a starter here? IMO it just shows how one team thinks different then the other.

I know you tend to lean like some others to say last year's team was all on the D and the coaches as to why they still could not make a playoff team but our offense was not good enough and was also a big problem. Stats lie just like they do every year with Tyrod Just like they did with Trent Edwards.

4 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

When you have your 3rd string QB in the game when it's a blizzard out you play field position and rely heavy on the D to get the ball back. I agree with what he did, it paid off and we won. IMO it is exactly what Levy would have done.

Thats 4 times superbowl loser levy right?

6 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

HOF Levy.

SMH for lack of respect for one of the Bills greatest.

We're in complete agreement here.  Keeping the team focused and getting to 4 in a row is no easy feat, then or now.  IMO, no one will ever repeat that.

If he would have won even one SB, I suspect Marv would be viewed in a better light.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Walsh get at least two superbowl championships with that roster. 4 time losers have no business with them in the hall.

Are you a Bills fan? Did you get to watch the Bills during Levys coaching era? Or are you a young one that never seen any of his games and just looks back and says he stunk because he lost all those SBs? What Levy accomplished here is epic if you do not want to acknowledge that you really need to find a new team. Again I SMH

As for Mcdermott I like alot of what hes done. Trimming the fat off the roster is a plus. The draft picks are a positive. The clock management needs work. I know ten year olds who are more situationally aware than he is when it comes to crunch time. You can get away with blowing a timeout to decide if punting is a good idea against a happless Colts team. Your not gonna get away with boneheaded moves like that against a team like the steelers. He also does a good job of having this team ready at kickoff. The Jets game is the only really flat performance theyve had. Im willing to give him two years more minimum to see what he and beane can build.

Edited by THEHARDTRUTH

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We're in complete agreement here.  Keeping the team focused and getting to 4 in a row is no easy feat, then or now.  IMO, no one will ever repeat that.

If he would have won even one SB, I suspect Marv would be viewed in a better light.

Man what Levy did here was greater then winning a SB, his post is way off IMO.

I agree its too bad he couldn't get a SB win. That first SB was the one, it's really too bad for him, the players and the fans. Things could be so much different now.

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Are you a Bills fan? Did you get to watch the Bills during Levys coaching era? Or are you a young one that never seen any of his games and just looks back and says he stunk because he lost all those SBs? What Levy accomplished here is epic if you do not want to acknowledge that you really need to find a new team. Again I SMH

I had seasons tickets from 86 to 96. Been watching football since 1973. Bill Parcells beat levy with half the talent in superbowl 25. Bills should have won that game by 28. They were totally unprepared for the biggest game of their lives.

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

retard.

Sorry if you cant handle the truth but all ive seen in the forum since ive joined is bunch of two year olds pissing in each others cheerios. The tyrod taylor debate is a classic example. Bunch of bitchy little school girls fighting over their Justin Bieber decoder rings.

6 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Sorry if you cant handle the truth but all ive seen in the forum since ive joined is bunch of two year olds pissing in each others cheerios. The tyrod taylor debate is a classic example. Bunch of bitchy little school girls fighting over their Justin Bieber decoder rings.

the truth is they were not losers, so to speak. yes, they lost the four sb's but getting there took winning and a lot of it. so to call levy a loser is not the truth at all.

I'm in total agreement with the bitching about McD but I wont go as far as to call them two year olds or compare them to a bunch of bitchy little school girls?

you could get your point across better then that instead of looking like a retard?