The McDermott Thread

DollaBills

Just now, BillsVet said:

So was 2006, 2010, and 2013.

When McDermott wins 5 SB's and is locked into a playoff spot this year he can be mentioned alongside Belicheck. Until then, games where he can't lose or tie shouldn't feature punts on 4th and 1 with 4 minutes left in OT.

Except, of course, that he was right.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh is all I can say.  The offense is a mess and no effort to really open it up and move the ball.

Defense okay after being shredded mid-season.

Fools Gold wins vs. Teams that one though were good, but are not (KC, Oakland, Denver, Atlanta & TB) and some when they were struggling.  Wins then vs. Indy & the Jets......

As far as I'm concerned starting Peterman & not facing up to the debacle & that punt on Sunday were as dumb a coaching decisions as I can remember.

Somehow though the playoffs still a possibility.

And sorry this is as boring a team as there is in the NFL (as my crusade for a 300 yard passing game continues).......

Face it either drinking the McDermott koolaid or you aren't.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Except, of course, that he was right.

Why?

Was it because Mr. McBobblehands Deonte Thompson caught a deep throw from Joe (3rd QB) Webb deep?  Did he know that the suddenly better Indianapolis offense wouldn't score in OT like they did in the waning moments of the 4th quarter? 

I'd say he was more lucky than right. 

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Why?

Was it because Mr. McBobblehands Deonte Thompson caught a deep throw from Joe (3rd QB) Webb deep?  Did he know that the suddenly better Indianapolis offense wouldn't score in OT like they did in the waning moments of the 4th quarter? 

The McDermott Truthers knew he was setting up Indy for that pass to Thompson.  He was waiting 'til exactly the right time, conditions and situation to call the play.

Worked like a charm.....

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Why?

Because they won the game.  It's a pretty simple reason.

This was all covered yesterday ad nauseum.  I would have run for it on 4th down but after thinking through it I understand his thought process.  And it boils down to exactly what he said: field position.  Everyone wants to ignore the giant elephant in the room: weather conditions.  They had gone for it I believe twice on fourth down and come up empty.  So his view in  a game like that is field position was paramount.  Pinning them down in their end opens up possibilities of a safety, and gave you better field position.  Just less than half the time in OT was still on the clock.  You stop them deep, you gain field position when they punt.  Puts you in a better spot to win.

It took them two series to stop them vs. one which affected what they had to do to pull out the win, but that doesn't change the logic of the decision.  As for them being lucky, the QB made an excellent throw and the WR made an excellent catch.  Then Richie made a great block and Shady made a great run.  why is it when the Bills make great plays they're lucky but when other teams do it they're great plays?

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

So was 2006, 2010, and 2013.

When McDermott wins 5 SB's and is locked into a playoff spot this year he can be mentioned alongside Belicheck. Until then, games where he can't lose or tie shouldn't feature punts on 4th and 1 with 4 minutes left in OT.

When you have your 3rd string QB in the game when it's a blizzard out you play field position and rely heavy on the D to get the ball back. I agree with what he did, it paid off and we won. IMO it is exactly what Levy would have done.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

When you have your 3rd string QB in the game when it's a blizzard out you play field position and rely heavy on the D to get the ball back. I agree with what he did, it paid off and we won. IMO it is exactly what Levy would have done.

Levy hasn't coached in 20 years so he has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The field position argument is great, except that upon getting the ball back with 2:25 (EDIT: at their own 35 yard line), McD needed a deep throw by his 3rd strong QB on 3rd and 6 to Deonte Thompson.  And then, with 1:33 remaining, get a 21 yard run to win it. No one's kicking a FG in those conditions that's any more than a chip shot, so the idea that McD's decisions were all good is a fallacy. (EDIT: It very easily could have ended up a tie given the field)

McD is what he is: another in a long line of conservative HC's who talk about team and their system (i.e. process). That's fine, but in order to win in the NFL you've got to have the talent, which Buffalo doesn't have. One can only hope they begin to fix that in the off-season. Still, having dealt away some prime players it's hard to see that replacing them with rookies will show immediate returns. This team is closer to needing a rebuild that a reload. 

Edited by BillsVet

Get a real QB on this team, and Beane and McDermott will build a championship level team.  Tryrod is a coach / gm killer.  Name 1 head coach / gm combo that had multiple years on a team AND had bottom half level QB.  Every good HC also had a good QB.

Edited by PIZ

It should be noted that the punt in OT assured the Colts would stick to the run that close to their own zone and give the defense a huge benefit of gearing towards stopping it by stacking the box.  Late in the 4th we couldn't stop the passing game and if we stopped them (as we did) we knew we would be back at mid field.  If we had went for it on 4th down and failed, the Colts wouldn't have been so conservative.

44 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Meh is all I can say.  The offense is a mess and no effort to really open it up and move the ball.

Defense okay after being shredded mid-season.

Fools Gold wins vs. Teams that one though were good, but are not (KC, Oakland, Denver, Atlanta & TB) and some when they were struggling.  Wins then vs. Indy & the Jets......

As far as I'm concerned starting Peterman & not facing up to the debacle & that punt on Sunday were as dumb a coaching decisions as I can remember.

Somehow though the playoffs still a possibility.

And sorry this is as boring a team as there is in the NFL (as my crusade for a 300 yard passing game continues).......

Face it either drinking the McDermott koolaid or you aren't.

it doesn't have to be this way at all.

Anyone complaining about this guy is nuts. This idea that every coach can and should take a dumpster fire and turn it into a diamond is also nuts. This guy has taken a talent devoid team and somehow gotten it to 7-6. It's a miracle in my mind. The OL has been a revolving door. The available starting WR are CFL quality many weeks. The LBs are slow and old. Little pass rush and the run D has been a disaster at time with some spare part on the DL. 

I turned on WGR55 twice in the car yesterday hours apart and the punt was all everyone was talking about. This is the problem around Bflo... people get a grand new idea in their head and it becomes gospel, regardless of its reliability. This is a classic one... the punt. But here's what the Schopp and White's of the world never ever qualify their argument with and that is a punt alone guarantees zero. They spend waaaaay too much time implying that not punting results in a TD or FG and that punting results in losing. Just not true. Sunday was a perfect example. 

Listen, McD is learning and will make some mistakes, it's part of never being a head coach before. But does he adapt and overcome? I say it looks good. Give the guy more talent and a QB and then let's judge the guy when he makes calls with a good team. 

20 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Levy hasn't coached in 20 years so he has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The field position argument is great, except that upon getting the ball back with 2:25, McD needed a deep throw by his 3rd strong QB on 3rd and 6 to Deonte Thompson.  And then, with 1:33 remaining, get a 21 yard run to win it. No one's kicking a FG in those conditions that's any more than a chip shot, so the idea that McD's decisions were all good is a fallacy.

McD is what he is: another in a long line of conservative HC's who talk about team and their system (i.e. process). That's fine, but in order to win in the NFL you've got to have the talent, which Buffalo doesn't have. One can only hope they begin to fix that in the off-season. Still, having dealt away some prime players it's hard to see that replacing them with rookies will show immediate returns. This team is closer to needing a rebuild that a reload. 

I said Levy because Levy was the exact same way. He would kick field goals and play the field posiion esspecialy when the backup was in so IMO bringing him up matters since Levy was a very successful head coach in Buffalo in the snow. When it comes to Buffalo weather you have to know when to gamble, sometimes it pays off and some times it doesnt. This time it paid off.

A 3rd string QB and bad weather, if they did not get the first or the 3rd string QB had a bonehead mistake people would be questioning why did you rely so much on a 3rd string QB in bad weather. You point to talent, well IMO a 3rd string QB is lacking the exact thing your pointing to, talent.

When one side of the ball is more depleted in talent you rely more on the other. In a bad weather game field position is everything.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

WOW ... no one thought before the season we'd be at where we are at this stage ... Did you?

Right, wrong, or indifferent .... he isn't afraid to challenge the status quo and shake things up ... I like that ... I'd rather try something new and fail then not have the nuts to try it at all.  This year is purely like a poker hand and determining what "cards" (i.e. players) he wants to go "all in" with and take into years 2 & 3 ... the wins this year (though killing our draft position) are a bonus .. TRUST THE PROCESS.

Actually I bet multiple people we would be right about where we are. Finishing the year at 9-7 or 10-6 when everyone else thought we were tanking after trading Sammy Boo Boo Foot Blumpkin and Darby. I guessed we would beat the Panthers but lose to the Falcons. I guessed we would beat the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs. I had us going 2-2 against the nfc south which we did. 

I also guessed when the wheels would fall off mid season. Knew we were losing multiple straight once that NY Jet abortion happened. 

I knew new we would be much better than last year (arguably) because we didn’t have a fat foot fetish idiot and his fat cream puff eating brother running things. Screwing up the defense. What I didn’t expect was Tyrod to regress. And make no mistake about it, h has regressed and is terrible. I didn’t expect McD to trade star players for absolutely nothing (Dareus for a box of Cheetos). 

With all that said, we are right where I thought we would be at this point. Needing wins against the Phins to get into the playoffs. IF everything else falls right with other teams. 

I dont think we get in. And I hope I’m wrong about it. 

In in the end I like McD for much of what he’s done. But he has made some incredibly questionable calls. Both on and off the field. I hope it pays off. I, like most, don’t want him gone. I want him to get at least a full 3 years here to see what he can do. But that doesn’t mean that everything he does should be unquestioned. 

28 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Anyone complaining about this guy is nuts. This idea that every coach can and should take a dumpster fire and turn it into a diamond is also nuts. This guy has taken a talent devoid team and somehow gotten it to 7-6. It's a miracle in my mind. The OL has been a revolving door. The available starting WR are CFL quality many weeks. The LBs are slow and old. Little pass rush and the run D has been a disaster at time with some spare part on the DL. 

I turned on WGR55 twice in the car yesterday hours apart and the punt was all everyone was talking about. This is the problem around Bflo... people get a grand new idea in their head and it becomes gospel, regardless of its reliability. This is a classic one... the punt. But here's what the Schopp and White's of the world never ever qualify their argument with and that is a punt alone guarantees zero. They spend waaaaay too much time implying that not punting results in a TD or FG and that punting results in losing. Just not true. Sunday was a perfect example. 

Listen, McD is learning and will make some mistakes, it's part of never being a head coach before. But does he adapt and overcome? I say it looks good. Give the guy more talent and a QB and then let's judge the guy when he makes calls with a good team. 

Not complaining, just noting that McD is what he is. That said, this wasn't a "dumpster fire" of a roster that he inherited, albeit one without a true QB. Not when you consider that he had veterans who were playing decent ball: McCoy, Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Clay, K. Williams, Dareus, Hughes, Alexander, and added the pieces in the secondary. We weren't the Browns or 49ers entering 2017.

McD shouldn't be learning after nearly 20 seasons in the NFL. You get the HC job because you've learned, and managing the game isn't an on the job training thing. It's actually preparation.

Fans are tired of being mediocre to average for a generation. They're tired of the same old, same old. Either get good or bottom out, but staying in the middle of the road is mind-numbing and hearing the same coach speak after every game is as well. The off-season will tell the story about where this team is going, particularly their decision on the QB.

There's not a ton of talent suiting up each Sunday.  The fact that McD has us in the playoff hunt speaks well of him.

But I want to see what he does this off-season.  Will he tell Beane to draft a QB with a high pick?   Will he replace his struggling offensive coordinator?   How will  he shore up the D?  And so on...

He has made some mistakes but he has taken a roster purged team and kept them performing at better than expected levels. Looking forward to seeing if McD / Beane can move us forward instead of th eusual sophmore slump we get with the last 10 HC's we've had

Edited by ddaryl

Overall I'm dissapointed with him but definitely not saying fire him or anything like that.

Yes they are 7 and 6 but let's be honest, the bills could easily be at 4 and 9 or 5 and 8 if it weren't for a few very fortunate breaks throughout the year. 

I think his preparation is pretty descent but his game time decisions are just mind boggling to me. Starting with his clock management, then to how conservative he usually plays things. Also don't like how he traded a lot of talent for draft picks.

Like I said, not saying fire him as that would be dumb but I really hope he improves on those last points I brought up next year. Because those game time decisions aren't good enough in my books