Anyone from UB here?

Guffalo

I have a niece who is applying for the nursing program at UB. Does anyone here know what kind of hoops she has to jump through to get accepted to the program? She has been hearing from some of the other schools, but nothing from UB. It is her top choice and she is getting anxious. Any help is appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

I have a niece who is applying for the nursing program at UB. Does anyone here know what kind of hoops she has to jump through to get accepted to the program? She has been hearing from some of the other schools, but nothing from UB. It is her top choice and she is getting anxious. Any help is appreciated.

I can’t really help, but I know the pain and anxiety. My son had very good grades and missed out on his first choice of schools, despite other kids he knew with lower GPA’s and SAT’s and half the extracurricular stuff getting into the same place. I met a guy who does interviews for that school who instantly admitted that if he had just checked a certain box he would have risen to the top of the list. My wife said her father would have rolled over in his grave for getting special consideration, so that wasn’t happening.

He went to his second choice, got his Masters and is now on a great career path. I wish you and your family all the best, but sometimes the adversity is what makes you stronger. 

9 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Worst case scenario if not accepted can she go to a community college and then transfer?

I only suggest that because where I went to school The Business School was its own entity where I didn't get accepted.  As is Im thinking of going back to community college for another degree.

As to my age well the Bills were in the playoffs for the last time when I was in high school:P

12 hours ago, Guffalo said:

My son is in the UB MBA program right now. I am pretty sure it is a different process (he had an interview, and this is his second masters). 

His GF is an RN. She went to her local community college. Right now, she is studying at Brockport (online) while working at a local hospital as an RN (she had to take some tests and pass some certification for this designation) - something about this degree bringing in more money.  She does not plan on becoming a nurse practitioner. 

The community college advice offered above is an excellent alternative.  My niece did it and is an LPN. I "think" the testing + work is the difference. My son's GF had work experience + studied for the RN certification and passed. My niece has not gone that route. Both only have an AA (different community colleges - although as I said, my son's gf is finishing up her 4-year while working).

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

There is such a desperate shortage of nurses out there today so it really doesn't matter which school she will go to. She will easily get 20 job offers when she graduates.

She has the grades and has been accepted at others, but she (and I) want her to go to UB. I already promised her my late season seasons when I can't make it up. She is going for undergrad, but by getting a BSN she then sits for the boards. My daughter went through this over last few years, I begged her to go to UB, but ultimately she went to University of South Carolina. (She liked SEC football). Now she is a nurse, working here in Long Island.

If she is going as an undergraduate and she does not get immediate admission her best bet is to just get admission to UB, ensure she takes as many classes required she can get A's in and then apply as an in-school change of majors. With college grades of As and recommendations from professors and volunteer work she will be able to get in since others drop off.

Did same the thing for Computer Science although I had no intention of being a CS major because they changed requirements of degree.  I walked into CS department, got appointment with dean, showed I passed all of the weeder classes with As (many CS majors did not get all As) and just transferred.  Univerity of Buffalo graduate 1985 (listed as 1986 by UB because of some damn paperwork but I was out of state by then working).

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If she is going as an undergraduate and she does not get immediate admission her best bet is to just get admission to UB, ensure she takes as many classes required she can get A's in and then apply as an in-school change of majors. With college grades of As and recommendations from professors and volunteer work she will be able to get in since others drop off.

Did same the thing for Computer Science although I had no intention of being a CS major because they changed requirements of degree.  I walked into CS department, got appointment with dean, showed I passed all of the weeder classes with As (many CS majors did not get all As) and just transferred.  Univerity of Buffalo graduate 1985 (listed as 1986 by UB because of some damn paperwork but I was out of state by then working).

good stuff, thanks

Congrats! 

I married above my station. Wife is an RN from U of R. She had a great career and only 1/3 of it was in direct patient care. There are a LOT of opportunities for RNs in the healthcare industry. It is a vast industry. 

Best wishes for her and her career. You must be a proud papa. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, Guffalo said:

We just got the word, she was accepted! Undergrad nursing/sciences, will find out more when we see her for Christmas. 

Great news! Sometimes when it’s not a straight easy path it’s a blessing. I hope that’s the case here!