Began 12/4/17

Gugny

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  Taking oral medication.  I figured now is the time to lose weight, as it has a significant impact on glucose levels.

Obviously, my diet has to change, too.  Less carbs/sugars, which sucks because I'm a big rice and potato fan.  At the same time, I'm giving up beer during the week, eating no fried foods as well as no fast foods.  Lots of chicken.  Lunches are a turkey sandwich (mustard) and wheat thins.

Started Monday, 12/4 and weighed in on Friday, 12/8 (I like to weigh in once/week and I like Fridays).  Down 4.6 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 4:19 PM, Gugny said:

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  Taking oral medication.  I figured now is the time to lose weight, as it has a significant impact on glucose levels.

Obviously, my diet has to change, too.  Less carbs/sugars, which sucks because I'm a big rice and potato fan.  At the same time, I'm giving up beer during the week, eating no fried foods as well as no fast foods.  Lots of chicken.  Lunches are a turkey sandwich (mustard) and wheat thins.

Started Monday, 12/4 and weighed in on Friday, 12/8 (I like to weigh in once/week and I like Fridays).  Down 4.6 lbs.

Just finding this but I too started on 12/4.  No diagnoses just some necessary life changes.  5'9 and 225 is way more than I want to be carrying lol.

No major changes on the food but I have made it a point to avoid fast food.  Every morning is a smoothie with assorted fruits and veggies, morning and afternoon snack (trail mix am then almonds pm), lunch and dinner follow proper portion sizes.

Lost 7 pounds before the holidays still down 4 which obviously isn't great but now that the food-centric holidays are behind us I'm back on track.

How's your progress?

On 12/28/2017 at 11:52 AM, Gugny said:

Gained a couple back as of last Friday ... gotta get back to it.  Holidays are killers.

Yup holidays were killer but I'm holding at 220 which is nice.  Bills in the playoffs is bad for my diet as it means booze and tailgate food.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make lol

On 1/2/2018 at 5:38 AM, mead107 said:

Did good yesterday. Had my juice Naked for breakfast and lunch.  Small lasagna helping for dinner.  

The green one is definitely my favorite!

BOlthouse farms also has some good ones.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I'm definitely frying up some wings on Sunday and probably making empanadas.  I'm not watching the Bills in the playoffs whilst dipping celery sticks in salsa, Goddammit.

• 2 weeks later...

Little late to the party here. Started @198lbs standing a whopping 5'6" tall. Got myself down to 195.2 this weekend and fell off the wagon a bit. -35 Saturday had me sitting around the house. Like Gugny I have to get #s under control. Weight loss should help. Also whole family is going on vacation at the end of April out west to Moab Utah and on to the Grand Canyon. My sons said they are not carrying mom and I back out so have to get into shape too. Here we go!!

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:38 AM, mead107 said:

Did good yesterday. Had my juice Naked for breakfast and lunch.  Small lasagna helping for dinner.  

What is that?

6 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Little late to the party here. Started @198lbs standing a whopping 5'6" tall. Got myself down to 195.2 this weekend and fell off the wagon a bit. -35 Saturday had me sitting around the house. Like Gugny I have to get #s under control. Weight loss should help. Also whole family is going on vacation at the end of April out west to Moab Utah and on to the Grand Canyon. My sons said they are not carrying mom and I back out so have to get into shape too. Here we go!!

What is that?

http://www.nakedjuice.com/our-products/green-machine/

i drink it in the morning 8oz then have 2 eggs.   Keeps me full.  Light lunch. Can of beets or salad. If i don’t do eggs in the morning I might do 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch. 

Kind of a regular dinner.  

Got to cut back on the Wine.  

Boathouse  juice smoothie cheaper. Like all of them. 

Joined the Gym. Last week.  Doing leg and arm exercises. Starting slow. 35- 40 minuets. 

• Like (+1) 2

Had a bit of a hiccup this past week. Maintained 195ish so lets see what I can accomplish this week. Took some kids to a youth rally last night and went tubing in Lowville. Whne do you start to realize you are too old to bounce down a hill @40mph on a snow tube...I ache today

• 2 weeks later...

so my wife's cousin is a nutritionist and going to open her own business.  Asked wife and I to be test subjects for lack of a better word.  She then proceeded to change everything that we eat and remove gluten and dairy from my diet.  I kindly told her that wouldn't work for me :lol:.  

Anyway I'm down to 217 which is 8 pounds down since I started.  Still not doing much other than smoothie in the am and trying to control portions.  We just bought a treadmill and that is the next adventure!  How's everyone else doing?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here I am a couple of months into this thing and I have lost 9 lbs. Great news is I can pull my pants off without unbuttoning.... Same pants I couldn't sit down in if they were buttoned a month ago. Limiting seconds and working out 3-5 days a week along with cutting firewood has been the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Losing weight - not a lot - without trying much.

Cutting carbs/sugars has gotten me down to 207.  Before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabeetus I was up to 225 or so.

Weather is getting nicer, so I'll incorporate some walks,

Five years ago I did weight watchers and walked at least 2.5 miles a day; usually 4-5.  That really made a difference.

I'm hoping to get to 185.  I'll be VERY comfortable there.

Hope you're all doing well.