The 2017 Draft: 1st round Re-do

YoloinOhio

What should the Bills have done in the 1st round?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. The Bills should have done the following in the 1st round:

• The same thing - trade 10 to KC for 2018 1st, and draft Tre White at 27
    • Draft a QB at 10 (i.e. Watson or Mahomes)
    • Trade 10 to KC but take a different player than Tre White at 27
    • Trade UP from 10 and take a QB (i.e. Trubisky)
    • Stay at 10, but take a non-QB (which player?)
    • Other (explain)

I wanted to say take a QB at 10. However, given the circumstances of Whaley and his personnel group still in place at that time, I voted to do the same thing that we did. The reason is that I want the new FO to take the QB of the future for this team, not the group that was getting fired the next day. I want the benefit of their year of scouting leading up to taking the QB.

I did love watching Watson play but it’s only been 1/2 season for him. Will need to see how he does next year with the film in place. And haven’t seen Mahomes at all yet to form an opinion. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Based off what we know, Watson should have been the #1 overall pick and if he was available with the 10th pick we should have picked him. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I wanted to say take a QB at 10. However, given the circumstances of Whaley and his personnel group still in place at that time, I voted to do the same think that we did. The reason is that I want the new FO to take the QB of the future for this team, not the group that was getting fired the next day. I want the benefit of their year of scouting leading up to taking the QB.

I did love watching Watson play but it’s only been 1/2 season for him. Will need to see how he does next year with the film in place. And haven’t seen Mahomes at all yet to form an opinion. 

I'm not too big on these "what if" scenarios. But based on what we know now, I'd do exactly what I think they should have done last year: Draft Watson. While I understand Yolo's point about letting the new regime pick the QB, Watson was just too good to pass up. I have nowhere near the confidence of any potential 2018 1st Rd QB that I had with Watson, last year. While think there are a number of QBs who, potentially, will be in the next draft, I don't see a "can't miss" prospect like Watson.

But if not Watson, then I think last years' strategy was sound, and I have little problem with what they did.

I mean people can claim all they want they'd do it the same way...but if you guys would honestly pass up on Watson given what we know now, you have no right to criticize the Bills FO for being unable to find a franchise QB these past 20 years

And to say you'd rather have a QB from the 2018 draft is equally foolish. You can "think" someone is going to be great all you want, but to pass up on a proven great young QB in HOPE that another QB could potentially be better is simply asinine. 

Watson wasn't just doing good for a rookie, he was destroying it out there & putting up monster numbers. If we had him on this year's team we'd be a completely different animal & a legitimate threat. Instead of just hoping we squeak into the playoffs & lose the WC game, we'd actually have a shot at winning in the playoffs. Yeah...let's pass up the guy that could make us a fixture in the playoffs for a decade or more for someone who MAY be able to do that, but there's no certainty.

If someone offered you 2 million dollars today but also said "Here's 4 cups...under one of them is a check for 5 million, while the other 3 have nothing. Your pick!" Would you really gamble on uncovering the 5 million check instead of a guarantee that you're instantly rich? Again, you have NO right to complain about personnel choices or the state this team is in if you're so willing to pass up on franchise QBs in hope of finding a better one later.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2

That's a tough one because Tre is turning out to be a stud and we'll have another first rounder to go along with him.   On the other hand, look what Watson did this year.  Holy crap!

Looks like a legitimate franchise QB.     

Tre’Davious white has quickly become my favorite player.  That being said, I’d much rather have Deshaun Watson.  He looks to be a very special player if healthy.  Has the look of the franchise QB that we’ve sorely 

needed since Jimbo retired.  If you think Watson is for real, I’m not sure how you could vote otherwise.  

Looks like a lot of the board either has bigger man crushes on Tre than I do (which seems like a tough accomplishment at this point) or they don’t believe Watson is a legit franchise qb.  

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Tre’Davious white has quickly become my favorite player.  That being said, I’d much rather have Deshaun Watson.  He looks to be a very special player if healthy.  Has the look of the franchise QB that we’ve sorely s

needed since Jimbo retired.  If you think Watson is for real, I’m not sure how you could vote otherwise.  Looks like a lot of the board either has bigger man crushes on Tre than I do (which seems like a tough accomplishment at this point) or they don’t believe Watson is a legit franchise qb.  

Well there Is zero chance you can judge what Watsons career will be like because of his good short stint

RG3 was rookie of the year.

Josh Freeman once threw 25 TDs to 6 picks his second year and looked legit 

I had Tre as the most well rounded corner in the draft and thought he'd come in day 1 as a impact starter 

and hes been everything I thought and more.

for that reason I went Tre and the first

The acquired pick will tell the full story next year and beyond.

Saying that Tre has played very well, learning from his mistakes & making big plays.

In hindsight either Watson (who we never heard connected to Bills think ?), Lattimore (who Leroi said was the top guy left on the Bills board), or Mahomes would of been fine as well.

Edited by Jamie Muellers Ghost

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well there Is zero chance you can judge what Watsons career will be like because of his good short stint

RG3 was rookie of the year.

Josh Freeman once threw 25 TDs to 6 picks his second year and looked legit 

I had Tre as the most well rounded corner in the draft and thought he'd come in day 1 as a impact starter 

and hes been everything I thought and more.

for that reason I went Tre and the first

I’m not saying that Watson is for sure a franchise an but from what I’ve seen so far, he looks special.  Not sure one could argue that.  When he’s played, he’s been very good.  It’s a good indicator.  Not always a sure thing, but more often than not when a guy plays he has, they don’t end up sucking.  He was an mvp Candidate for sure.  Possibly the best player in the league during his short stint.  Not many bums do that.  Rg3 was on right there.  Nick Foles had a very good season in a crazy scheme, but didn’t look like Watson imo.  Freeman never looked special to me.  

I love tre.  I’m happy we have him.  I’m even happier that we were able to get an additional 1st AND draft Tre.  I’d rather have Watson.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Magox said:

That's a tough one because Tre is turning out to be a stud and we'll have another first rounder to go along with him.   On the other hand, look what Watson did this year.  Holy crap!

Looks like a legitimate franchise QB.     

Yes, and no disrespect to Tre, but how many times have we had solid rosters with some great players here & there but no QB? How far did that get us? Gilmore was a pro-bowl CB, but did he outweigh having a bad QB? In the past 18 years, here are some of the good/great players we've had:

1. Marcell Dareus

2. Stephon Gilmore

3. Marshawn Lynch

4. Terrence McGee (Pro Bowler, 2 time All-Pro, holds many Bills Franchise records including most career all-purpose yards)

5. LeSean McCoy

6. Antoine Winfield

7. Sammy Watkins

8. Kyle Williams (4 time Pro Bowler, over 40 sacks)

9. Eric Wood (Pro Bowler & one of the top rated Centers)

9. Sam Adams (Pro Bowler, monster DT)

10. Stevie Johnson (Had 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons...for a 7th round pick)

11. Nate Clements

12. Richie Incognito

13. Eric Moulds (3 time Pro Bowler, 3 time All-Pro) 

13. London Fletcher 

12. Willis McGahee (2 time Pro Bowler, averaged 1,121 yards & 8 TD's a season)

13. Jason Peters

14. Mario Williams

15. Ruben Brown (9 time Pro Bowler, 4 time All-Pro, probably the best player at his position the Bills have had since Bruce Smith)

16. Takeo Spikes

17. Lee Evans (Averaged 892 yards & 6 TD's in the 6 seasons he played all 16 games with us...with JP Losman/Kelly Holcom/Trent Edwards as QBs)

18. Cordy Glenn

19. Aaron Schobel (78 sacks over 9 seasons, 2 time Pro Bowler)

20. Robert Woods

21. Brian Moorman (LOL just wanted to throw our 2 time Pro Bowler in there)

22. Travis "Baby Maker" Henry (Pro Bowler)

23. Jarius Byrd (3 time Pro Bowler, 2 time All Pro, NFL interceptions leader in 2009)

Note: These were not in any particular order, and I only put descriptions next to some players who some people may have forgotten how good they were. 

There were plenty more good players you could make an argument for, but the one thing they all have in common is since 2000, they never helped the Bills get to the Playoffs. Even when we had some pretty great rosters, we always were missing a QB. You can hit on other positions all you want, you can pickup great Free Agents all you want, but that method has not translated to success for the Buffalo Bills. If we had a chance to go back & take Watson, but passed it up for a good or even great CB, that would just be another failure in the history of this franchise.

Edited by BigDingus