Forget about the Ravens, need to focus on the Titans given their remaining schedule

I agree with the thread author that the Bills will not likely make the playoffs this year.  However, I disagree with the implication he seems to be making that the reason they will fail to make the playoffs was (or even worse is) the decision to go with TT as the starting QB rather than with Peterman.

Does any rational person with even trace knowledge of the NFL seriously think that any athlete with consensus agreement among the professional scouts is a 5th round draftee talent is  in anyway a reasonable bet to lead his team to the playoffs.

No!

I like Peterman's play.  I think with proper development and exposure to the game (and a little dumb luck) he MIGHT become a franchise QB.

However, the BEST development approach to use to help Peterman become all he can be as a player is to plant his butt firmly on the bench and focus on training his mind to understand the game developing in front of him.  Should he play?  Sure, but if you are truly interested in developing him to be the Bills starting QB then the hope should be that Tyrod never gets hurt and that Peterman gets some useful game experience mostly in mop-up time.

I think the biggest mistake McDermott has made this year in panicking and benching an unproductive TT and announcing this to the world early in the week to give opposing HC and DCs the maximum chance to prepare for the youngster NP and rape this talented rookie for 5 INTs.  From Todd Collins to JP Losman etcthe Bills (and some desperate and loud fans) have a habit of rushing young QBs into a starting role before they are ready.

Anointing and demanding this 5th round talent to start and lead this team as a rookie is simply bad training technique and a disservice to not only Peterman but the Bills and their fans!

if we want to make the playoffs, we have to worry about what other teams are doing.  This team isn’t making the playoffs without help.  Winning out is extremely doubtful.  We aren’t getting a top 10 pick, gotta focus on winning and making the playoffs.  It’s been too long.  I’ll definitely be following the titans, ravens and how the afc West pans out.  We really want chargers to win that division. 

The one thing I can confidently predict is that there will a surprise.  Some team that needs to win to help their playoff chances will lose to a spoiler. It always happens. 

I don't know which team will be the one that loses a game they should win on paper, but if you just look at records you'll miss the possibilities.

The Jets crush the Chiefs, and then get shut out by Denver, which had lost 8 straight.  Go figure.

The Packers, desperately needing to win, almost lost to the winless Browns.  Go figure.  (I know the bottom line is that a team is as good as its record shows, but the Browns have some play makers and will be a lot better next year.)

The Bills need to go 2-1 over the remaining games.  Even if they beat the fish here and then lose to the Pats, and then go to Miami knowing a win would get them into the playoffs (could happen under various scenarios) they could still lose that last game.  Just ask Drew Bledsoe. 

OK, here's a scenario no one's mentioned.  This could actually happen.

Tonight, the Pats overlook Miami.  It's a trap game, with the Pats looking ahead to the Steelers. Miami could win.  The game is in Miami, no Gronk.  It's possible.

Then the Pats have a short week to prepare for their matchup with the Steelers, in Pittsburgh, a game they could certainly lose.

Very seriously, the Pats could go from 10-2 now to 10-4, while the Bills beat Miami coming off a short week, in Buffalo.  I think we need TT or NP healthy for this to work. That makes the Bills 8-6.

The Bills are one Tom Brady injury away from being able to go into Foxboro and beat the Pats.  (C'mon, Suh, what are you getting paid for??)  That would make NE 10-5 and the Bills 9-6.

Final week:  Pats play the Jets in Foxboro, the Bills play the fish in fishlandia.  If Brady is still hurt, the division is ours for the taking.  10-6 for both teams.  Bills 4-2 in the division, NE 3-3 in the division. 

If Brady is hurt, we need the breaks to go our way.  If Brady isn't hurt, it will take a miracle.  But Al Michaels asked us if we believe in miracles (ok, that was in 1980) so why can't this happen too.

Edited by Utah John
punctuation

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'll preface this by saying I still don't believe the Bills are getting to the playoffs this year even if they win every game but the Pats and finish 9-7. Anything is possible but I still think terrible losses to teams like the Bengals and Jets are what ultimately will haunt this team, not the Chargers game contrary to popular belief because we weren't beating that team with TT as QB either.

But if you believe 9-7 gets them in forget about the Ravens, they are winning out and going 10-6. This is a very good team that probably should have won in Pitt last night.

However the team to focus on now is the Titans who should have been blown out by the Cardinals yesterday in a loss. And as of right now Vegas has the 3-10 49ers as  home favorites against the Titans next week which is very reasonable given their play the last few weeks under Jimmy Garropolo.

After next week the Titans finish at home against the Rams and Jags, two more games they can easily lose and probably split those games at best.

How ironic would it be if the Titans lose out or lose to the Bills head to head and that's how the Bills get into the Playoffs snapping a 17 year drought in which their last playoff appearance was against the same Titans team?

The Ravens are not a very good team. They are mediocre and are up and down like a lot of teams are.

forget-about-the-ravens-need-to-focus-on-the-titans

I have the Titans losing out and the Bills still not making the WC with a sweep of Miami and a loss to NE. 

Why couldn't NE be week 17!!!  Darn you schedule makers! 

Lose to the 49ers 
Lose to the Rams 
Lose to the Ravens 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I love the 9-7 playoff calculation time of year.  It comes every year around this time!! 

:lol: Not every year my friend. Many years we have been out of it before December even started. :thumbsup:

Chargers winning AFC West may actually keep us out of the playoffs.

Let's say Bills going 9-7 are a constant. (I know, I know, we never win the last few games we need to, but bear with me)

There are 4 teams we can realistically catch for a wildcard.

Titans 8-5

Ravens 7-6

Chiefs 7-6

Chargers 7-6

Odds are that 3 of those 4 teams make it to 9-7. Just given how schedules look. Let's ignore the Ravens for now because they have a cake schedule.

If the Titans lose 2, we get in at 9-7 so long as Chiefs beat the Chargers.

This is because we are favored in the 3 way tie breaker scenario (H2H against Chargers does not come into play.)

However if the Titans lose 2, and the Chargers beat the Chiefs, then we lose the wildcard berth

This is because KC is favored in the 3 way tie breaker scenario (H2H against Chiefs does not come into play.)

So Chiefs beating the Chargers would mean it doesn't matter if the Chargers win their remaining two so long as the Titans or Ravens are tied with us as well.

The Chargers beating the Chiefs would mean that we would need the Titans or Ravens to both be at less than 9-7 (or Chiefs to lose 2 of next 3) in order to not lose the 3 way tie to the Chiefs.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Chargers winning AFC West may actually keep us out of the playoffs.

Let's say Bills going 9-7 are a constant. (I know, I know, we never win the last few games we need to, but bear with me)

There are 4 teams we can realistically catch for a wildcard.

Titans 8-5

Ravens 7-6

Chiefs 7-6

Chargers 7-6

Odds are that 3 of those 4 teams make it to 9-7. Just given how schedules look. Let's ignore the Ravens for now because they have a cake schedule.

If the Titans lose 2, we get in at 9-7 so long as Chiefs beat the Chargers.

This is because we are favored in the 3 way tie breaker scenario (H2H against Chargers does not come into play.)

However if the Titans lose 2, and the Chargers beat the Chiefs, then we lose the wildcard berth

This is because KC is favored in the 3 way tie breaker scenario (H2H against Chiefs does not come into play.)

So Chiefs beating the Chargers would mean it doesn't matter if the Chargers win their remaining two so long as the Titans or Ravens are tied with us as well.

The Chargers beating the Chiefs would mean that we would need the Titans or Ravens to both be at less than 9-7 (or Chiefs to lose 2 of next 3) in order to not lose the 3 way tie to the Chiefs.

Holy fck tht is confusing. Youre right about 3 way tiebreakers being different tho

14 hours ago, Reddy Freddy said:

Thanks for explaining this.  I noticed on the NYT playoff simulator that our odds actually IMPROVE if the Ravens beat the Browns next week.  I'm still not sure why it would actually help us if the Ravens beat the Browns, but this explains why a Browns win doesn't do much for us.

It may lower their SOV %