Bills were better equipped to play in the snow than in the past

Jerry Jabber

Back in the Bills Superbowl era, playing in the snow used to be an advantage for the Bills.  During the playoff drought, I noticed whenever it came to snow games, the Bills looked terrible as they slipped and fell down throughout the games. Last year comes to mind when the Bills played the Steelers at home, the Bills were slipping and falling all over the field while Steelers had on the right equipment to play in the inclement weather. Yesterday, it was nice to see the Bills better equipped to play in the snow than in years past. Hopefully this continues with McDermott and the WNY weather gives the Bills the advantage.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Back in the Bills Superbowl era, playing in the snow used to be an advantage for the Bills.  During the playoff drought, I noticed whenever it came to snow games, the Bills looked terrible as they slipped and fell down throughout the games. Last year comes to mind when the Bills played the Steelers at home, the Bills were slipping and falling all over the field while Steelers had on the right equipment to play in the inclement weather. Yesterday, it was nice to see the Bills better equipped to play in the snow than in years past. Hopefully this continues with McDermott and the WNY weather gives the Bills the advantage.

Better equipped really is that what we are going with?  A DOME team took your to OT. 

So are they better equipped and an advantage if Colts 2-pointer isnt called back????

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Better equipped really is that what we are going with?  A DOME team took your to OT. 

So are they better equipped and an advantage if Colts 2-pointer isnt called back????

That's not the point he was making.

He was talking about the actual equipment and that in his observations that players weren't slipping all around like in past years.   

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I didn't say the game was great, play calling and game decisions are a different story. Peterman's decision to slide (and no penalty on the helmet-to-helmet hit),  no screen passes, punting on 4th and 1 with four minutes left in OT and wasting a time out. 

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

He was talking about the actual equipment and that in his observations that players weren't slipping all around like in past years.   

Thank you! 

25 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

At the game, we noticed that the Bills had several guys running around with cleat-cleaning pads along the sideline, while the Colts didn't really seem to be doing much equipment upkeep.

• Like (+1) 1

I've said it before and I will say it again. The Bills should be sleeping on their porches, snowmobiling, shoveling in shorts, practicing in it etc....... They need to embrace this stuff. Then they can laugh at the other team when it's snowing and blowing in December and they just want to get back on the plane and go home. That's how it used to be in the early 90's. Advantage Buffalo! Anyone remember 51-3?

On another note: It's too bad they can no longer use a tractor with a brush to remove the snow because now you end up with a pile of rubber pellets? Whose dumb idea was that?

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

At the game, we noticed that the Bills had several guys running around with cleat-cleaning pads along the sideline, while the Colts didn't really seem to be doing much equipment upkeep.

That's good to hear. One thing I remember hearing McDermott wanting control of was equipment, so I'm glad to see him have that attention to detail.

Have you thawed out from the game yet?

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

That's good to hear. One thing I remember hearing McDermott wanting control of was equipment, so I'm glad to see him have that attention to detail.

What shocked me was how totally unprepared the maintenance staff was for the game. Leaf blowers to clear the yardage markers every five yards? What happened to those huge sweepers on the front of tractors?

Thawed out yet? Just finished pushing cars out of the lot! (kidding)

21 minutes ago, Magox said:

There was a lot of slipping, from everyone though,

Trey White even said how he hated playing because he was sliding all over the place

Just now, Steve O said:

What shocked me was how totally unprepared the maintenance staff was for the game. Leaf blowers to clear the yardage markers every five yards? What happened to those huge sweepers on the front of tractors?

Thawed out yet? Just finished pushing cars out of the lot! (kidding)

Cant use them don't you remember the Rubber Pellet game.  Those sweepers bring the pellets up

46 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I agree. They looked a lot better and more control.  I think if Peterman doesn't get injured too, the O would have looked a lot better down the stretch.  He was throwing a good ball in the snow.

Yeah, they gave up that last TD, but the Colts also had to convert 3 hard third and longs, and 2 long 4th downs.  D was positioned well to get the shut-out, if they could have made a play--but that's not really weather related.  

33 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

My left hand froze about halfway through the 2nd quarter, but I was mostly okay through halftime.

Once my jersey froze solid, it actually acted as an insulator :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

They were sliding all over the place because the Steelers OL dominated them as the better unit.   The Colts as the inferior team played just about to the same level as the Bills and they were lucky to emerge as the winning team.   There is nothing to your point IMO.