Verizon to Pay $500M Per Year for NFL Streaming Rights

26CornerBlitz

16 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

So much for the prognosticators claiming the NFL is on life support. 

I'm not sure this is as big a windfall as you think.  I was expecting a MUCH bigger deal for streaming rights.  It's a tiny fraction of the sunday ticket package, with a much larger addressable audience.  

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I'm not sure this is as big a windfall as you think.  I was expecting a MUCH bigger deal for streaming rights.  It's a tiny fraction of the sunday ticket package, with a much larger addressable audience.  

It is not to stream all games is it? I assume it is to stream games you would see locally only.   DirecTV owns the out of market stuff for big money cause it is still there.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And considering Verizon literally stole BILLIONS of dollars from the taxpaying public, all of the games should be available for anyone to stream. But you know that wont happen.

ok i'll bite.  how did they "steal" billions of dollars from the public?  I hope you're not referring to tax incentives to roll out broadband, because that's fantastically stupid.  when you take deductions on your taxes, are you 'stealing' from the Federal government?  

14 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

ok i'll bite.  how did they "steal" billions of dollars from the public?  I hope you're not referring to tax incentives to roll out broadband, because that's fantastically stupid.  when you take deductions on your taxes, are you 'stealing' from the Federal government?  

It was way more than just tax breaks. They walked away with more than $400BILLION from additional taxes, fees, surcharges they were allowed to charge their customers for. And they were only given those breaks in a deal where THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DELIVER SOMETHING IN RETURN, and simply flat out refused to do so.

The total individual cost of what we paid for and never saw comes to about $4000-$5000.00 per household from 1992-2014, and that’s the low number.

Why are you defending the carriers? I work for one of the major ISPs, overseeing their carrier-to-carrier products, and I'M certainly not happy about it. Do you own Verizon or AT&T? Are you HAPPY that the US has some of the more expensive broadband rates, and lower speeds?

Edit: Here's some reading for folks who are not familiar with the situation. How can anyone be happy about this?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131012/02124724852/decades-failed-promises-verizon-it-promises-fiber-to-get-tax-breaks-then-never-delivers.shtml

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/the-book-of-broken-promis_b_5839394.html

Edited by DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was way more than just tax breaks. They walked away with more than $400BILLION from additional taxes, fees, surcharges they were allowed to charge their customers for. And they were only given those breaks in a deal where THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DELIVER SOMETHING IN RETURN, and simply flat out refused to do so.

The total individual cost of what we paid for and never saw comes to about $4000-$5000.00 per household from 1992-2014, and that’s the low number.

Why are you defending the carriers? I work for one of the major ISPs, overseeing their carrier-to-carrier products, and I'M certainly not happy about it. Do you own Verizon or AT&T? Are you HAPPY that the US has some of the more expensive broadband rates, and lower speeds?

Edit: Here's some reading for folks who are not familiar with the situation. How can anyone be happy about this?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131012/02124724852/decades-failed-promises-verizon-it-promises-fiber-to-get-tax-breaks-then-never-delivers.shtml

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/the-book-of-broken-promis_b_5839394.html

if you dont think the carriers have invested MASSIVELY in infrastructure in the US, I dont know what to tell you because you're low information on the topic.  Every year for the last 10+ years the number 1&2 companies in fundamental infrastructure investment are AT&T and Verizon.  A lot of the money ended up being invested in Cellular data networks, because that's where the market went.  You're whining about not enough DSL, the world moved on

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And considering Verizon literally stole BILLIONS of dollars from the taxpaying public, all of the games should be available for anyone to stream. But you know that wont happen.

And that whole hubbub about net neutrality something something terrible something something. 

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

if you dont think the carriers have invested MASSIVELY in infrastructure in the US, I dont know what to tell you because you're low information on the topic.  Every year for the last 10+ years the number 1&2 companies in fundamental infrastructure investment are AT&T and Verizon.  A lot of the money ended up being invested in Cellular data networks, because that's where the market went.  You're whining about not enough DSL, the world moved on

Not DSL, fiber. It was always supposed to be fiber, and they bait and switched it to ADSL.

Oh, we should just move on? The couple of huge companies that provide us internet connectivity stole Billions, and we should just move on. No accountability or oversight. Don't want to piss them off. Ok.

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

And that whole hubbub about net neutrality something something terrible something something. 

oddly enough the low info kids that are all caremad about net neutrality are the same ones claiming that tax abatements are the same thing as theft.  it's almost like they think that any money earned by any entity is by default the Government's and that we should all grovel at the feet of uncle sam and be thankful when he lets us keep a little more of our own money.  Net Neutrality is a pretty amazing thing too in that the NN legislation in practice ends up being a massive subsidy from the carriers to Google and Facebook, but because they (G&FB) control so much of the narrative, they've managed to convince people that we're discussing something else entirely.   

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not DSL, fiber. It was always supposed to be fiber, and they bait and switched it to ADSL.

Oh, we should just move on? The couple of huge companies that provide us internet connectivity stole Billions, and we should just move on. No accountability or oversight. Don't want to piss them off. Ok.

explain again how they stole billions?  bonus points if you can explain it without saying "but taxes" because lots of big corporations do everything they can to minimize their tax exposure.  your heroic google and facebook barely pay anything.

18 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

oddly enough the low info kids that are all caremad about net neutrality are the same ones claiming that tax abatements are the same thing as theft.  it's almost like they think that any money earned by any entity is by default the Government's and that we should all grovel at the feet of uncle sam and be thankful when he lets us keep a little more of our own money.  Net Neutrality is a pretty amazing thing too in that the NN legislation in practice ends up being a massive subsidy from the carriers to Google and Facebook, but because they (G&FB) control so much of the narrative, they've managed to convince people that we're discussing something else entirely.   

explain again how they stole billions?  bonus points if you can explain it without saying "but taxes" because lots of big corporations do everything they can to minimize their tax exposure.  your heroic google and facebook barely pay anything.

Wow! Name calling, over-assuming, condescending, AND moving the goal posts. You are a level-100 reddit troll. Congrats! Tell Putin we said hi!

It's already been explained, and I moved away from taxes immediately. You are the one that keeps going back. They had DEALS in place, they were allowed to charge their customers additional fees, and then NEVER fulfilled their end of the bargain. The only people who cant understand the simplicity in that are those who are actively trying to re-write the facts.

But sure, the big ISPs are the good guys. They are totally looking out for all of us. At least I think that is what you are arguing. Tough to tell since you arent making any point other than to try to come off like you know more about the situation.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wow! Name calling, over-assuming, condescending, AND moving the goal posts. You are a level-100 reddit troll. Congrats! Tell Putin we said hi!

It's already been explained, and I moved away from taxes immediately. You are the one that keeps going back. They had DEALS in place, they were allowed to charge their customers additional fees, and then NEVER fulfilled their end of the bargain. The only people who cant understand the simplicity in that are those who are actively trying to re-write the facts.

But sure, the big ISPs are the good guys. They are totally looking out for all of us. At least I think that is what you are arguing. Tough to tell since you arent making any point other than to try to come off like you know more about the situation.

You just brought Putin into a discussion on a Buffalo Bills message board.  I sure hope Correct The Record is filling up your Panera card for all your hard work.  You clearly have a huffington post level understanding of the traditional agreements between telcos and the federal government, and seem to believe that all money earned by any entity belongs to the government, so I doubt we have enough common ground to talk this through.  Say hi to your overlords at facebook!

Getting back to streaming:

NFL Sunday Ticket has a college student option which is much cheaper ($100 per year) than regular ST.  Since my daughter's in college, we qualify.  The catch is, you can watch only one game per week, and it's streaming.  There have been days like yesterday when the streaming worked well nearly all the time.  There have been other days when the only thing you could count on seeing were the commercials -- the game action was chopped up, not all there, and hard to follow.  It is really frustrating to see the NEXT play after a big play by or against the Bills, even after the replay is concluded, but miss the play itself. 

When I had regular ST in the past, none of that happened.  So you get what you pay for, I guess.  I have cheap service but unreliable service.  Expect the same if you use Verizon streaming.                                                  

all politics aside, it's about time. it makes no sense in this era for the NFL to not offer a viable streaming option for ALL games, albeit with an exclusive provider, it's much better than having to rely on these raggedy links...