Guess Howard and Jeremy slept in

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hmmm?  4th and 1 from the Colts' 41 with 4:13 left or a Joe Webb (FN Joe Webb I said) bomb to Deonte Thompson in your own territory?   I'd bet on the 4 and 1 every time with so little time left in OT where a tie game is almost as bad as a loss.  McDermott got lucky.

You're obviously not planning on starting the next drive in your own territory.  With the way the punts were sticking in the ground, there was an excellent chance we could pin them back deep.  Didn't work out that way though.

Just now, SWATeam said:

You're obviously not planning on starting the next drive in your own territory.  With the way the punts were sticking in the ground, there was an excellent chance we could pin them back deep.  Didn't work out that way though.

The ball is in your hands with one yard to convert at the Colts' 41 with the season on the line. Giving the ball back to the other team isn't the smart decision there.  Go for the win and if you don't make it, trust your D to stop Brissett. 

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The ball is in your hands with one yard to convert at the Colts' 41 with the season on the line. Giving the ball back to the other team isn't the smart decision there.  Go for the win and if you don't make it, trust your D to stop Brissett. 

Which scenario do you feel better about winning the game-

1.  We go for it and get the first down.  It's first and ten at the colts 41 with Joe Webb?

2.  We punt and the ball sticks inside the 5?

I'd feel better about something good happening with our D on the field in those conditions.  

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Makes me so happy McDermott punted.....wonder if they would be just as critical if the Bills had been stopped on 4th down and the Colts would have driven down and won.

Just because Pagano was as equally stupid to punt the ball back on 4 and 4 and with about zero likelihood of getting the ball, No, noone should be mad if Bills went for it.  All metrics, stats, possible outcomes, likely scenarios, show going for the 4 and 1 was the correct call every time.

Why do the football Gods continue to give us different versions of inept game managers, clock managers, time out screw-ups, red flag boneheaders, time after time? We essentially have a Rex Dick Kay Gregg Doug as head coach.

They make Wade and Mike M and Chan G look good at the aforementioned and even they were slow getting it done. Marv L was best.

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

How did the DEFENSE LOOK the drive before?

Exactly. Bills D looked like total ****. Colts went for it on multiple 4th downs and had little trouble converting. Even a 4 and 8 and 4 and 11 I believe.

Edited by cba fan

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What occurred previously didn't matter at the point it was 4th and 1.  The Bills were fortunate to get the ball back before the Colts punted as Brissett missed a wide open receiver.  Wrong decision with a positive outcome. 

Oh, it matters plenty!  As does how the defense looked when it allowed the Colts to march down the field and score the tying touchdown. The fact is going for 4th and 1 in the snow is not automatic. You can spew all the stats you want. You had your 3rd QB in the game who obviously had a limited grasp of the playbook. And the Colts D 99% sure you were running up the middle.  Why not just hand them the ball, for heavens sake?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

The drive before was the question. 

Picking facts, I see?

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh, it matters plenty!  As does how the defense looked when it allowed the Colts to march down the field and score the tying touchdown. The fact is going for 4th and 1 in the snow is not automatic. You can spew all the stats you want. You had your 3rd QB in the game who obviously had a limited grasp of the playbook. And the Colts D 99% sure you were running up the middle.  Why not just hand them the ball, for heavens sake?

Picking facts, I see?

You support playing passively with the non-belief that your team can't gain one yard.  Got it. 

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Picking facts, I see?

NO What was my question (you know the drive before the PUNT) that was my question see you haven't learned to read yet

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You support playing passively with the non-belief that your team can't gain one yard.  Got it. 

We needed to gain more than a yard to win, we needed to score.  I don't think it's crazy to think we had a better chance to score by pinning them back deep and playing defense- in those conditions of course.

Sometimes you have to make a tough call in a game.  For this specific situation, punting the Colts back probably meant a 3 and out or a possible turnover.  The Colts had not turned it over all day, they were due.    I think the chances of a fumble/Int or 3 & out...probably outweighed the chances of getting stopped on 4th down, then having the Colts possibly drive to a FG with the wind. 

The fact that Jeremy and Howard are furious is kind of silly.  It's like they'd rather prove their point than see a Bills W.    McD played the odds that he felt were correct for this SPECIFIC GAME..   If the weather was 50 degrees and sunny, light winds...he might've gone for it.  But the weather dictated that it was very unlikely Indy would drive 60-70 yards for a FG attempt...and/or a turnover in the Bills favor was a real definite possibility.

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Makes me so happy McDermott punted.....wonder if they would be just as critical if the Bills had been stopped on 4th down and the Colts would have driven down and won.

Had that happened they would, like many fans, be giddy inside because they can wallow in their misery and continue to complain and trash the team because they couldn't beat the Colts and lost the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Had that happened they would, like many fans, be giddy inside because they can wallow in their misery and continue to complain and trash the team because they couldn't beat the Colts and lost the game.

The difference in tenor between howard/jeremy and schopp as opposed to murphy is comical.

McDermott compared playing the game to the military, then punted on 4th and 1 after burning a timeout for no reason - pathetic stuff. 

50 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Sometimes you have to make a tough call in a game.  For this specific situation, punting the Colts back probably meant a 3 and out or a possible turnover.  The Colts had not turned it over all day, they were due.    I think the chances of a fumble/Int or 3 & out...probably outweighed the chances of getting stopped on 4th down, then having the Colts possibly drive to a FG with the wind. 

The fact that Jeremy and Howard are furious is kind of silly.  It's like they'd rather prove their point than see a Bills W.    McD played the odds that he felt were correct for this SPECIFIC GAME..   If the weather was 50 degrees and sunny, light winds...he might've gone for it.  But the weather dictated that it was very unlikely Indy would drive 60-70 yards for a FG attempt...and/or a turnover in the Bills favor was a real definite possibility.

Indy went for 80 yards on a 9 play drive for a TD the drive before.... 

2 hours ago, MDFan said:

I think everyone gets that.  They have spent the entire morning whining about though. The entire morning.  I had to turn it off.  It was a bad decision.  They were also good decisions.  Move on already.  We won. 

It’s radio.  They’re going to talk about the controversial decisions mostly.  They’re not going to sit there and sing the shout song for 4 hours 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

NO What was my question (you know the drive before the PUNT) that was my question see you haven't learned to read yet

You can't assume because the Bills D stopped one drive before they were going to keep stopping them. If that's your argument it's pretty weak.

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm pretty sure that's where most of the disappoint is coming from. A missed opportunity to bemoan a loss.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can't assume because the Bills D stopped one drive before they were going to keep stopping them. If that's your argument it's pretty weak.

Cant assume if they missed a 4th and one before they would keep missing them either then can you

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Cant assume if they missed a 4th and one before they would keep missing them either then can you

The odds are against you when you are running with your 3rd string QB who doesn't know the playbook. The Colts knew we were running up the middle because sweeps were pointless with the footing. On a dry field I'll give you that. In that mess? Punting was the right call.