So does anyone BELIEVE we will make the Playoffs?

BigDingus

After today's dramatic win, I was quite excited. But within a minute or so, I mentally hit a wall. We know what this team is, and we know how this team plays...so looking ahead at the schedule, thinking about the Patriots in week 16, made me remember we're still probably not making the playoffs yet again.

Mathematically we're still in it, but the Ravens edge us out for the 6th seed (although CBS Sports says WE are the 6th seed - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace). In reality, our only real chance at beating the Pats would've been playing them in week 17 & them resting their starters. 

Beating the Dolphins twice is doable, but far from guaranteed. But beating the Patriots in Foxborough isn't happening when they still have a reason to play their starters. 

Contenders for the Wildcard Spot:

1. Ravens (7-6) - They play a cakewalk schedule for their last 3 games. Browns, Cots & Bengals. They could easily finish 10-6. If they go 9-7, we MIGHT win those tiebreakers, but according to most projections at the moment, they're ahead. At 9-7 they'd have a 7-5 conference record, just as we would, so there may be a chance somewhere in there, but I'm not certain. However, given their schedule we need someone to pull off an upset for us to even have a shot.

2. Chargers (7-6) - They play the Chiefs, Jets & Raiders, and will likely beat all of them given how well they're playing. They've gone 7-2 in the last 9 weeks, only losing by 8 to the Pats in Foxborough & losing by 3 to Jaguars in Jacksonville. If they lose a game & go 9-7, they'll have a 6-6 Conference record & we'd have a 7-5 Conference record (assuming we only lose to the Pats). They may outright win the West though and leapfrog us entirely.

3. Chiefs (7-6) - They have the lead in the West right now, but that could quickly flip with the Chargers. They play the Chargers, Dolphins & Broncos. It really depends on what Chiefs team shows up, but assuming they go 2-1 during that stretch, they'd have a 7-5 Conference record (tied with us), and have a loss to us head to head. One of them has to win the division, so I'm not sure which would be better for us, assuming one goes 2-1 & the other goes 3-0 to close out the season. 

4. Titans (8-4) - They play the 49ers, Rams & Jaguars. They currently hold the 5th seed, as the Jags lead the division at 9-4. Their final game of the season against the Jags could be very important for them, and the Rams are a good team this year. There's a chance they go 1-2 during this stretch, finishing 9-7 with a 7-5 Conference record too. If the Ravens win out, this may be our only other shot at getting in based on tie-breakers, but it's still slim.

I'm not even including the Raiders, as even if they win out & go 9-7 they'd still only have a 3-3 division record, and a 6-6 conference record.

Thinking about all that needs to go right in order for the Bills to even have a shot hurts my head. Granted the Bills could just end the conversation before it even happens by scrubbing out against Miami next week (which would be predictable given this team's history), but let's assume we don't. With that said, does anyone HONESTLY feel we're making the playoffs this year? And if not, do you guys feel there's something to be said for going 9-7? Or are you in the "no moral victories" camp, and would rather us not win anymore games? I'm genuinely curious as to how this board feels given where we stand.

• Like (+1) 1

So I think the only reason we end up winning a tie with Baltimore is if they lose to Cinci. That would give us the common game tiebreaker. We also need Kc to beat chargers Saturday, not neccesary but it will help. Cause if Kc does not win we would need KC to lose another game also. And the bills really need the Titans to finish 1-2 or worst. While Bills go 2-1. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff3 said:

So I think the only reason we end up winning a tie with Baltimore is if they lose to Cinci. That would give us the common game tiebreaker. We also need Kc to beat chargers Saturday, not neccesary but it will help. Cause if Kc does not win we would need KC to lose another game also. And the bills really need the Titans to finish 1-2 or worst. While Bills go 2-1. 

Wrong we want charger wins and kc losses 

20 minutes ago, Jeff3 said:

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Wrong we want charger wins and kc losses 

I'm definitely confused which would be better for us. If the Chiefs beat the Chargers & the Chargers win the rest, they finish with a 6-6 Conference record. However, they beat us head to head, so does that matter? 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

After today's dramatic win, I was quite excited. But within a minute or so, I mentally hit a wall. We know what this team is, and we know how this team plays...so looking ahead at the schedule, thinking about the Patriots in week 16, made me remember we're still probably not making the playoffs yet again.

Mathematically we're still in it, but the Ravens edge us out for the 6th seed (although CBS Sports says WE are the 6th seed - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace). In reality, our only real chance at beating the Pats would've been playing them in week 17 & them resting their starters. 

Beating the Dolphins twice is doable, but far from guaranteed. But beating the Patriots in Foxborough isn't happening when they still have a reason to play their starters. 

Contenders for the Wildcard Spot:

1. Ravens (7-6) - They play a cakewalk schedule for their last 3 games. Browns, Cots & Bengals. They could easily finish 10-6. If they go 9-7, we MIGHT win those tiebreakers, but according to most projections at the moment, they're ahead. At 9-7 they'd have a 7-5 conference record, just as we would, so there may be a chance somewhere in there, but I'm not certain. However, given their schedule we need someone to pull off an upset for us to even have a shot.

2. Chargers (7-6) - They play the Chiefs, Jets & Raiders, and will likely beat all of them given how well they're playing. They've gone 7-2 in the last 9 weeks, only losing by 8 to the Pats in Foxborough & losing by 3 to Jaguars in Jacksonville. If they lose a game & go 9-7, they'll have a 6-6 Conference record & we'd have a 7-5 Conference record (assuming we only lose to the Pats). They may outright win the West though and leapfrog us entirely.

3. Chiefs (7-6) - They have the lead in the West right now, but that could quickly flip with the Chargers. They play the Chargers, Dolphins & Broncos. It really depends on what Chiefs team shows up, but assuming they go 2-1 during that stretch, they'd have a 7-5 Conference record (tied with us), and have a loss to us head to head. One of them has to win the division, so I'm not sure which would be better for us, assuming one goes 2-1 & the other goes 3-0 to close out the season. 

4. Titans (8-4) - They play the 49ers, Rams & Jaguars. They currently hold the 5th seed, as the Jags lead the division at 9-4. Their final game of the season against the Jags could be very important for them, and the Rams are a good team this year. There's a chance they go 1-2 during this stretch, finishing 9-7 with a 7-5 Conference record too. If the Ravens win out, this may be our only other shot at getting in based on tie-breakers, but it's still slim.

I'm not even including the Raiders, as even if they win out & go 9-7 they'd still only have a 3-3 division record, and a 6-6 conference record.

Thinking about all that needs to go right in order for the Bills to even have a shot hurts my head. Granted the Bills could just end the conversation before it even happens by scrubbing out against Miami next week (which would be predictable given this team's history), but let's assume we don't. With that said, does anyone HONESTLY feel we're making the playoffs this year? And if not, do you guys feel there's something to be said for going 9-7? Or are you in the "no moral victories" camp, and would rather us not win anymore games? I'm genuinely curious as to how this board feels given where we stand.

As a Bills fan, we always BILLieve every single moment that the Bills will win.  So there is no question about that.  From where I was last night, I watched this epic game from Mid night till 3:30 AM local time. 

The Bills are in a tough spot with the tie-breakers, but then anything can happen in the next three weeks. The only thing the Bills can do is take care of business against the Dolphins and Patriots. 

Two wins against the Dolphins is certainly doable and it seems like things might fall in place for us to make the playoffs at 9-7 and end the drought.  You draft a 1st round quarterback regardless and that player won't have "the drought" hovering over him.  You obviously shoot for the playoffs.  Plus, the last time I watched a Bills playoff game was on a 26 inch picture tube TV.

• Like (+1) 1

I will hope for a miracle but realistically the drought will likely extend. I am not sure how it happens but I see us needing to win week 17 to be in. Then classically collapsing. Its sad but we have all seen this happen before. I'll hope for the best but prepare for the worst. 

10 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The odds for making the playoffs are rediculous, we would need so many stars to line up and in the end we would probably lose to the Patriots backups like we did vs the Steelers. 

They don't need many stars to line up at all. They need held because of the inevitable Patriots loss coming, but they likely get the help. Every year I say the same thing. The hardest part is the Bills part.  They have to beat Miami twice. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts