How are we the #6 seed? I'm confused

estro613

I just saw an image on NBC after the Ravens loss to the Steelers showing us as the current #6 seed for the playoffs.  

How is that so?

3 way tie between Ravens, Bills and Chargers all with a record of 7-6

Bills and Ravens both 5-4 in AFC, Chargers 4-5...so the Chargers are out

Now next tie breaker is common games (minimum of 4)

Ravens:

CIN - Win

OAK - Win

MIA - Win

Games Left vs. IND & @CIN

Bills: 

CIN - Loss

OAK - Win

IND - Win

Games Left vs. MIA & @MIA

So Ravens are currently 3-0 in common games w/ 2 left & the Bills are 2-1 w/ 2 games left

So shouldn't the Ravens be in over us?

What am I missing?  Someone who understands this please explain, I'm confused.

Edited by estro613

So Conference record First. 

How we beat LA

then Strength of victory how we beat Ravens 

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

If the Chiefs flip flop with the Chargers, does that hurt the Bills? They did beat NE back in the opener. It's convoluted I'm sure. 

No you want Chargers to win that division. 

Have tie breakers against KC and Oak not to metion better draft pick got from KC

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Someone needs to email NFL.com because they have us as the 8th still with updated standings.

I notice that the NFL.com standings refer to the seeds as " projected". Not sure how they are arriving at that projection, but it seems the other versions are " live" based on actual current standings if it ended today. This is of course subject to change

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No you want Chargers to win that division. 

Have tie breakers against KC and Oak not to metion better draft pick got from KC

I'm just not certain how that would affect the strength of victory tiebreak which currently favors BUF

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I'm just not certain how that would affect the strength of victory tiebreak which currently favors BUF

Because i am thinking the Balt thing wont matter they will get commin opponents here next week. And the strength of victory then doesnt matter 

I could see the Ravens losing to Cleveland. The Browns have been playing tough lately. They are integrating Josh Gordon into the offense with some success, and teams tend to have a hangover after the kind of loss Baltimore just endured. Cleveland will play with heart for that first W.

I could also see the Titans losing out. Next week they get SF, which looks like an easy win on paper, but SF looks pretty good since Garoppolo took over, and the Titans haven't been that impressive in recent weeks.

After that they get the Rams and Jags, buth of which will be heavy favorites.

Edited by Rob's House