Jags/Titans week 17

Klaista2k

This game could potentially have huge playoff implications for the Bills. (We'd need the Jags to win)

Will the Jags need to win this game or will they potentially be able to rest their starters? 

Hopefully the Jags have some incentive to win or Saint Doug could rest his starters and ruin our playoffs hopes. 

Edited by Klaista2k

The incentive is simple. Win to get the Bills into the playoffs so you have a cupcake first round game against your former team.  We'd get destroyed by the Jags and it look there's a good chance they'll be seeded at #3.  If it's not them then it would be Pittsburgh.   Bottom line either way we're one and done so why bother.  Let's  play out for the better draft position. 

Yes, they will have a first round bye to play for. I suspect the Steelers lose next week. That means the Steelers will have 3 losses and the Jags 4 losses. They will have the same conference record so the last week will be very important to both teams pending the Jags win out until they face the Titans

14 minutes ago, tannins said:

The incentive is simple. Win to get the Bills into the playoffs so you have a cupcake first round game against your former team.  We'd get destroyed by the Jags and it look there's a good chance they'll be seeded at #3.  If it's not them then it would be Pittsburgh.   Bottom line either way we're one and done so why bother.  Let's  play out for the better draft position. 

PIT and NE will be 1 & 2 depending on who wins next week.  

The Jags will take the #3 seed because the teams in AFC West winner will more than likely have a worser record than the Jags.  

Loss by Baltimore and Tennessee  helps our cause, but win by KC does not.  I would have rather had the Raiders and Chiefs be 6-7 and 7-6 respectively.

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yes, they will have a first round bye to play for. I suspect the Steelers lose next week. That means the Steelers will have 3 losses and the Jags 4 losses. They will have the same conference record so the last week will be very important to both teams pending the Jags win out until they face the Titans

The Jags also have the head to head against the Steelers as well. A Steelers loss next week possibly makes the Jags playing for the #2 seed week 17

19 minutes ago, tannins said:

So you would have them tank because they may not win in the playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

As much as I don't want the Jags to win, I'm going to have to root for them IF this is what gets the Bills into the WC. 

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Jags will take the #3 seed because the teams in AFC West winner will more than likely have a worser record than the Jags.  

Loss by Baltimore and Tennessee  helps our cause, but win by KC does not.  I would have rather had the Raiders and Chiefs be 6-7 and 7-6 respectively.

Buffalo holds the Tie breaker with KC in the WC.  If KC takes the West LAC will have to lose 2 of 3 IIRC

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

If the Steelers lose to the Pats next week the Jags will be within a game of them and they hold the tiebreaker over the Steelers with their head to head victory. The Jags and Steelers will both have something to play for in week 17 as long as they are within one game of each other.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

As much as I don't want the Jags to win, I'm going to have to root for them IF this is what gets the Bills into the WC. 

Buffalo holds the Tie breaker with KC in the WC.  If KC takes the West LAC will have to lose 2 of 3 IIRC

The head to head tiebreaker only comes into play if there is a direct tiebreaker between two teams or all the teams involved in a tiebreaker have played each other. So, depending on how things shake out it could conceivably be better for the Bills to be tied with the Chargers as opposed to the Chiefs even though on the surface it would appear that wouldn't/shouldn't be the case. For instance, if the Chiefs beat the Chargers this weekend the Chargers would have a 4-6 conference record whereas if the Chiefs lost they'd have a 5-5 conference record. That record could end up being more meaningful than a head to head loss if there are multiple teams involved in the tiebreaker.

That being said, I want the Chargers to win this weekend because it's impossible to know how it will shake out and I'll take the more direct tiebreaker and, perhaps more importantly, a better draft pick from the Chiefs.

2 hours ago, MDH said:

The head to head tiebreaker only comes into play if there is a direct tiebreaker between two teams or all the teams involved in a tiebreaker have played each other. So, depending on how things shake out it could conceivably be better for the Bills to be tied with the Chargers as opposed to the Chiefs even though on the surface it would appear that wouldn't/shouldn't be the case. For instance, if the Chiefs beat the Chargers this weekend the Chargers would have a 4-6 conference record whereas if the Chiefs lost they'd have a 5-5 conference record. That record could end up being more meaningful than a head to head loss if there are multiple teams involved in the tiebreaker.

That being said, I want the Chargers to win this weekend because it's impossible to know how it will shake out and I'll take the more direct tiebreaker and, perhaps more importantly, a better draft pick from the Chiefs.

So many talking heads with their expert opinions.  if we only won that 2nd JETS game or against the Bungles.  Both were winnable games!