THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Lake Effect

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Lake Effect

The Bills beat the Colts, 13-7 on Sunday.  That’s what the record books will say.  The game was a good example of why the score tells only part of the story.

Played as a major lake effect snowstorm poured off of Lake Erie, the game featured basic football – blocking and tackling.  Sophisticated passing techniques were useless – quarterbacks couldn’t count on their receivers executing timing routes, sharp cuts, or pick plays properly.   Running the ball was the order of the day.

Still, many of the big plays were pass plays:  Peterman’s sideline completion to Benjamin, followed by the TD throw to Benjamin.  The Colts’ crushing drive as time ran out.  Webb’s masterful 34-yard throw to Thompson, and Thompson’s outstanding catch.  And, of course, the HUGE offensive pass interference call that saved the game for the Bills. 

The Bills needed the win to preserve their slim playoff hopes.  They get credit for winning.  But to say they just barely won is an understatement.  They won by the narrowest of margins, and for the past six weeks they haven’t looked like a team that can win consistently.  Granted, the conditions guaranteed a low-scoring, close game, but through 60 minutes the Bills had exactly one offensive possession that looked like they were imposing their will.  The Colts also had exactly one.  Then, in overtime, the Bills had one more, and the game was over.  So they get credit for winning, but not for making anyone think the Bills are going places.

Random thoughts:

1.  I love seeing one of those games every once in a while.  Reminds me of backyard games we played as kids.  And there always are some funny plays. 

2.  I assume Taylor was a reasonably healthy scratch.  If so, McDermott dodged a huge bullet with that decision, because he didn’t have the sub he wanted when Peterman went down. 

3.  Of course, McDermott figured that no one would get injured in a game slowed down by the snow.  He didn’t plan on his rookie QB diving headfirst into a tackle.  That was a stupid play by Peterman.  The penalty should have been called, but your QB can’t do that.

4.  On the other hand, Peterman’s two big throws to Benjamin were beautiful.  Big-time throws. 

5.  When the Bills traded for McCoy, I watched a lot of McCoy highlight videos on YouTube to remind myself what the Bills were getting.  Every video included some great runs in the snow in one or two games.  Just like the runs we saw in the snow against the Colts.  I keep saying it because there’s not much else to say:  Shady is an outstanding running back.  He gets important yards on important plays, and he makes big runs.  Really fun to watch. 

6.  When McCoy broke the TD run to win it, he had a great hole.  When the Bills needed it most, they ran behind Incognito, who didn’t disappoint.  Double the DE, then slide to the second level and seal the linebacker.  Shady did the rest.  Beautiful.

7.  Were the Bills lucky?  They certainly made enough mistakes to lose, most notably Tolbert’s fumble and Webb’s interception; either one could have lost the game.  When they could have won the game, the defense collapsed and allowed the tying TD.  MAYBE the offensive pass interference was a legit call – I think it was borderline correct but easily could have been let go.

8.  Were the Bills resilient?  They made some big plays, for sure.  And the defense made the stop the team needed in overtime.

9.  Tre’Davious White looked like he was doing some serious cheerleading.  Someone has to tell him that he can’t play 10 yards off his man on third and 10.  He gave away a first down on that play.

10.  Is Benjamin brittle or is this just bad luck?  I think bad luck, and maybe a nagging injury that needs the off-season to heal. 

Another snow day next week wouldn’t be the worst thing.  Another “must win” game, but I’m not a believer. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Good write up!   Question - why is Tolbert playing so much?  Cadet seems to offer the same type of game as Shady. 

In the snow, Tolbert's a better choice.  Straight ahead power may help.   

Cadet's style is like Shady, but not his ability.   In that mess today, Cadet couldn't do what Shady did.  

My opinion.  

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

7.  Were the Bills lucky? 

Yeah, probably so, have to admit.  If we were playing NE today, in these conditions, I think they would have spanked us; this pains me to admit because I hate them so much.

38 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

8.  Were the Bills resilient?

Yes, I think they've proven that given their up and down season.  After three shellackings in a row, they came back and won games they needed to win.  They never gave up at any point today.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

In the snow, Tolbert's a better choice.  Straight ahead power may help.   

Cadet's style is like Shady, but not his ability.   In that mess today, Cadet couldn't do what Shady did.  

My opinion.  

Shady has control over his body that ordinary humans just lack.  It borders on supernatural.

In snow, perhaps Tolbert is a better choice, but that still leaves the unsolved mystery of why Tolbert, when the green field is visible, appears favored over Cadet.

Cadet has better Y/A, Y/G, and Y/R and his catch % is within sampling error.

I get the utility of fullbacks.  Lots of stout running teams carry fullbacks as lead blockers.  But that doesn't seem to be how we use Tolbert.

• Like (+1) 1

I think another thing we saw is why they moved for Benjamin. In a game where scheming guys open doesnt wirk, Benjamin made some outstanding plays when Peterman gave him a chance.

He's gigantic and appears to fit what they want to do on offense. I'm hopeful he can get healthy.

31 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

I think another thing we saw is why they moved for Benjamin. In a game where scheming guys open doesnt wirk, Benjamin made some outstanding plays when Peterman gave him a chance.

He's gigantic and appears to fit what they want to do on offense. I'm hopeful he can get healthy.

Very true. Good point. Benjamin is one reason to look forward to next season. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm looking forward to next season.  But I'm not ready to say this season is over yet!

I'm watching with interest. But this team is going nowhere in the playoffs, so making the playoffs just means breaking the drought and not much more. I care more about being good than how many years it's been. 

I don't see the Bills compete g with any team likely to be in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm watching with interest. But this team is going nowhere in the playoffs, so making the playoffs just means breaking the drought and not much more. I care more about being good than how many years it's been. 

Understand what your saying..but come on man...what makes you think they will be good next year?   Enjoy the ride

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree this is year one of a hopeful path towards sustained competitiveness.  But breaking the drought would be a welcome improvement.

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

No doubt in my mind that is an offensive PI. 

100% right call. However, I am surprised the refs called it. They actually did a somewhat decent job this game.

Their two point play was very similar to the touchdown play where the wr blocked down while the TE went around him wide open. Hyde fought of the block on the TD but it was way too late. I'm glad they called the obvious OPI on the 2 point attempt.

Great re-cap!

I was just discussing the game with 2 non-Bills fans. Both were in awe of the way Shady was able to run in that mess. Everyone else on the field looked like they were ice skating. Shady somehow looked like he was playing on a snow-less field.

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

No doubt in my mind that is an offensive PI. 

100% right call. However, I am surprised the refs called it. They actually did a somewhat decent job this game.

Agree. That could not have been an easy game to call. There were very few flags, especially in the first half.

Good stuff, Shaw.

With regard to Benjamin - I agree with you.  I think it's just an unfortunate season and he needs the time off to let it heal.  But if he can continue to play without further damage (pain management), I expect him to be out there, which is a nice change from the past couple years.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree that they're likely one-and-done if they make the playoffs, but at least it would serve as a milestone that says, "Yes, we ARE a playoff-caliber team." To do that in McD's first year would help the players buy into "The Process" and could entice some of the better free agents to come to Buffalo in the off-season.