Chuck Pagano's Punt Was Worse Than Sean McDermott's

BuffaloRush

I have to admit, I lost a lot of confidence in Sean McDermott today.  While many fans were grilling him for benching Tyrod for Peterman, I understood why that move could have been made - although it was a very bad move in hindsight.  

Today, I felt his punt call was absolutely terrible.  Honestly, it was worse that Rex's decision to punt vs. Miami last season and worse than some of the alarmingly conservative decisions to punt by Doug Marrone which literally cost the Bills some football games.  It was a miracle that Joe Webb was able to bail the Bills out today and I hope that it doesn't reinforce McDermott's conservative mindset, because if it does, this organization's in trouble.

But as bad as the call was on McDermott, I felt that Chuck Pagano's decision to punt right back was equally as bad.  Yet, I have heard no one criticize the coach on that choice.  Indianapolis is 3-9.  Does it really make a difference if they tie rather than lose?  Pagano is just going to fired anyway so who cares?   Surprisingly, I haven't heard any criticism of Pagano or the Colts.  If I am Jim Irsay, I would fire Pagano tomorrow

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I have to admit, I lost a lot of confidence in Sean McDermott today.  While many fans were grilling him for benching Tyrod for Peterman, I understood why that move could have been made - although it was a very bad move in hindsight.  

Today, I felt his punt call was absolutely terrible.  Honestly, it was worse that Rex's decision to punt vs. Miami last season and worse than some of the alarmingly conservative decisions to punt by Doug Marrone which literally cost the Bills some football games.  It was a miracle that Joe Webb was able to bail the Bills out today and I hope that it doesn't reinforce McDermott's conservative mindset, because if it does, this organization's in trouble.

But as bad as the call was on McDermott, I felt that Chuck Pagano's decision to punt right back was equally as bad.  Yet, I have heard no one criticize the coach on that choice.  Indianapolis is 3-9.  Does it really make a difference if they tie rather than lose?  Pagano is just going to fired anyway so who cares?   Surprisingly, I haven't heard any criticism of Pagano or the Colts.  If I am Jim Irsay, I would fire Pagano tomorrow

You are on a Bills board dude.

Bet if you scan the Colts boards there are some people bitching about it.    Or maybe they figure they have more important things to worry about.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PolishDave said:

You are on a Bills board dude.

Bet if you scan the Colts boards there are some people bitching about it.    Or maybe they figure they have more important things to worry about.

Nope, I looked - no one gave a damn about it. Maybe that's where they are at with a 3-9 team

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Nope, I looked - no one gave a damn about it. Maybe that's where they are at with a 3-9 team

Probably.   And they probably figure they are getting a new coach anyway.

I'm pretty sure most of those fans already reached the "who gives a shat mode" for this season.

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Pagano may want to be a head coach again in the NFL.

Making dumb decisions like going for it deep in your own territory, in OT, probably wouldn’t help his cause moving forward.

Glad I'm not the only one that found it to be dumb.  He punted with 4:00 minutes left in overtime.  What could his logic have been?  McDermott explained his logic, and while I think it's very flawed, he at least gave a half-assed explanation.  I can't figure out what Pagano must have been thinking.  When you punt with 4:00 left, there's a good chance you'll never the ball again.  Even if you stop the Bills, you'll get the ball back with little time when kicking conditions were horrendous.   

What in the world was he thinking?  

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Glad I'm not the only one that found it to be dumb.  He punted with 4:00 minutes left in overtime.  What could his logic have been?  McDermott explained his logic, and while I think it's very flawed, he at least gave a half-assed explanation.  I can't figure out what Pagano must have been thinking.  When you punt with 4:00 left, there's a good chance you'll never the ball again.  Even if you stop the Bills, you'll get the ball back with little time when kicking conditions were horrendous.   

What in the world was he thinking?  

What did McDermott say his logic was?  I missed it.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Oh...

And obviously the Colts fans don't know football.  :D

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

What did McDermott say his logic was?  I missed it.

Oh...

And obviously the Colts fans don't know football.  :D

McDermott said in a bad weather game, field position was very important.  He was confident his defense could force a 3 and out and get the ball back with decent field position.  Like I said, he makes an attempt to give an explanation - but what's Pagano's excuse

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The outcome of the game doesn't really matter for the Colts.

They had a 4th and 4 from their own 31. Going for it (and not converting) would have been viewed pretty negatively around the league. 

So kicking the ball away and basically playing for a tie would be seen as more positive, than trying to win the game? Maybe by the same conservative minded coaches who would have punted the ball on 4th and 1 in overtime.   I disagree.  You play to the win the game.  It's should be viewed the same as needing points on 4th-and-4 at the 31.  You go for it everytime.  Pagano made a weakass decision.  Should be grilled for it

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

So kicking the ball away and basically playing for a tie would be seen as more positive, than trying to win the game? Maybe by the same conservative minded coaches who would have punted the ball on 4th and 1 in overtime.   I disagree.  You play to the win the game.  It's should be viewed the same as needing points on 4th-and-4 at the 31.  You go for it everytime.  Pagano made a weakass decision.  Should be grilled for it

There's degrees of conservative/aggressive playcalling. Going for it on a 4th and 4 from your own 31 with 2+ minutes left in OT is extremely aggressive. 

Say the Colts go for it and don't convert (very high chance they don't convert) and the Bills kick a FG to win. How do you think Chargers/Ravens view that? Knowing they would be out of a playoff spot b/c the Colts decided to take a ridiculous risk? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I have complete faith in McD but didn't agree with his punt but thank God Pagano is a turd and will be fired after this season.

Thanks for letting us break the draught chucky.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

No one has criticized Pagano because it's not a Colts board.

We don't care about them, it's that simple. And I heard them criticize him on the Post game show, but it was a bit veiled. Like McDermott punted because he knew the Colts coach would make the same dumb decision.

I don't even get why this is a thread, are we supposed to be fair and balanced or something? 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

The guy did go for the 2-pt conversion to win the game (or lose the game) rather than tie.  I don't think people view them with the way you describe.  It was a tough day to be out there and kudos should go to both the teams coaching staff and players for battling it out (and the referees too).  

59 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

There's degrees of conservative/aggressive playcalling. Going for it on a 4th and 4 from your own 31 with 2+ minutes left in OT is extremely aggressive. 

Say the Colts go for it and don't convert (very high chance they don't convert) and the Bills kick a FG to win. How do you think Chargers/Ravens view that? Knowing they would be out of a playoff spot b/c the Colts decided to take a ridiculous risk? 

This is spot on. This is why no one is criticizing Pagano.

Pagono is coaching a 3-9 team when he makes that decision, who cares? In fact, at 3-9 a tie might look pretty good.

McD is coaching a team in the playoff hunt and a tie is a loss...

There is no debate, McD's decision was much worse and frankly leaves me with little confidence in him, in any. Not understanding simple game management is alarming, but not uncommon for Bills HC's. The next time Pegula hires a coach I think he should skip the interviewing and just give each candidate a list of scenarios, judge them on their ability to understand simple probability.

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

McDermott said in a bad weather game, field position was very important.  He was confident his defense could force a 3 and out and get the ball back with decent field position.  Like I said, he makes an attempt to give an explanation - but what's Pagano's excuse

4th and 4 from their 31 in a game where the next points win. Giving the other team the ball at that spot would be idiotic