A Few Thoughts About the Colts Game

Virgil

What a day of football!  So many great games and more to come that it's been tough to pry myself away from the TV to write this.  I listened to the post game show and seen some threads about the game so far with quite a few gripes about the game.  Well, if you are looking for a Bills or McDermott bashing, stop reading now.

1 - Officiating - I want to start here because I think the Refs did an amazing job today.  In a game where visibility is low, players are falling all over the place, and safety is a concern I was happy with how the Refs let the players play and gave some flexibility due to the conditions.  There were hardly any penalties called and the offensive pass interference on the 2 point conversion was a great call.  Even Colts fans can't argue that one.  In any case, in a game where the refs could've thrown flags on almost every play, they did a great job.

2 - Peterman - This kid is a rookie with great potential.  The question is, which is going to beat the other out.  He makes some quick throws in the right places.  He also forgets he's playing in the NFL sometimes.  Between the 5 int half and his concussion today, I think he forgets the talent level around him.  This isn't college where there are slower guys or dominant mismatches.  Everyone can play.  He can't just throw balls up and hope for a positive result and he definitely can't dive head first.  He needs to realize how early in the game it is, who his back-up is, and how hard these guys can and will hit him.  I get having a fiery competitive nature, but he needs to be smarter if he's going to survive in the NFL.

3 - McCoy - I haven't called him out much this season because it's too easy to talk about him.  He's clearly the best talent on this team and boy did it show today.  In a game where guys are slipping all over the place, he's hurdling players, making cuts, and showing burst.  It was only fitting that he scored the game winning touchdown.  It's easy to take these guys for granted sometimes, and I'm guilty of it too.  With that, I just want to call out our MVP again, Mr. Shady McCoy.

4 - God rest ye merry gentlemen
Let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Savior
Was born on Christmas Day
To save us all from Satan's pow'r
When we were gone astray
Oh tidings of comfort and joy

5 - Weather - People are talking about the weather and how it's not a true NFL game in these conditions.  On a day where Elvis' guitar broke and Eric Wood looked miserable on the OT coin toss, I happen to think that this game was the definition of classing NFL football.  This was a game where you knew what was coming and you either beat them or they beat you.  How many classics are in conditions similar to this?  Even extra points were compelling.  I'm sorry it wasn't a 50+ combined score game and passing wasn't on the table for most of the game.  But I love a physical game and I think it's more rewarding for the players too.  So no, I don't want a dome and I'm happy to walk away with a victory here.

6 - Dennison - Two weeks in a row I feel like this guy needs to be fired.  His decision to pass early on 4th and 2 with Webb in at quarterback made absolutely no sense to me.  Yes, Webb ended up our QB at halftime, but at the time, the game's momentum could easily have been shift moreso in our favor.  Shady needed to get the ball more than he did and the Tolbert experiment needs to be over.  I'm not going to waste my time giving Tolbert his own spot on here, because I'm just over it.  But Dennison continues to make calls that make no sense to me and I'm hoping he's gone this offseason.  

7 - Milano - I praised the kid a lot last week, but he lost focus in my opinion today.  I understand that a record was set for rushing attempts this game.  However, on a play-action pass where there isn't anyone left in the backfield, you can't lose coverage.  He left the halfback open in the flats a few times and it hurt us.  I still like what I see from him and hope to see him continue to develop, but he was probably our biggest liability out there today in a game where fundamentals won out.

8 - Punters - How do you not give props to both teams punters on a day like today?  These guys were amazing on a day where footing was a big issue.  The Colts punter had a few beauties and Schmidt did a great job of flipping field position.  These guys had every opportunity to lay and egg without blame and they really stepped up today.   We don't talk about these guys much, but today they earned it.  

9 - McDermott - Like most of you, I was losing my mind when McDermott decided to punt with 4 minutes left in OT as a tie was the most likely outcome, thus ending our season.  We all know how it turned out and winners can say "I told you so."  It took me an hour drive home from my sisters to really think about this while listen in WGR to change my mind.  We've won 3 games this year that we normally lose (Colts, Falcons, Bucs).  McDermott has made the right decisions and got the play he needed where he's earned the benefit of the doubt with me here.  Even in that moment, if it's between trusting my offense or defense, I'm trusting my defense.  We saw what happened when Webb was required to throw before the end of regulation.  Our defense is our stronger unit.  And overall, he put the trust in his players, which I think will go a long way.  Could it have blown up in his face?  Yes.  Did we win and are not 3-1 in games of 7 points or less?  Also yes.  Like it or not, it worked out and we learn from it.  

10 - Going forward - Like every December as a Bills fan, we are mathematically still in it.  The Titans losing today was huge and the Ravens need to lose.  2-1 is possible and I believe TT needs to start if healthy these last 3 weeks.  I like Peterman and want to see more from him, but TT is our better option and I'm not giving up on this season.  I think this game brought this team closer together and I like our chances next week.  Sweeping the Dolphins isn't unrealistic, the Titans have two tough games coming up as do the Ravens.  So let's enjoy the win today and hope to get healthy this week.

*Bonus - I'd like to thank my sister for ruining the suspense of the Vinatieri extra point.  Before the kick, she got a notification on her phone that the game was tied and felt the urge to share with the room.  I was pissed.  To the Pit of Misery with her!!! Dilly Dilly

Great game and great day of football guys.  Now, let's root for the Steelers and a Brady broken face!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 10

3 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Avery interesting post as was the game.  Milano had 9 tackles to lead the team - -8 of them were solo.  Games like this one are good for him, Peterman and all the rookies to learn from - including the HC. 

I still like the kid and want to see where he goes. Just calling out the lapses, even though I know people will think I’m just trashing the kid 

Shame that your sister doesn't understand the process.  I hope she understands why you can't hang out with her anymore. 

great write up. Fair analysis on the punt.  Such an odd game with so many moving parts, between the weather, injury to NP, and Webbs pick at the end of the game.  It worked, so the rest is just chatter. 

I think part of the reason we punted is because Indy was only 4 of 16 on 3rd down conversions, so Sean really did have some good odds working for that decision.

We went -2 in turnovers and won, which says great things for our D. 

I think the last time we went -2 in turnovers and won the game was aways back.

40 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Avery interesting post as was the game.  Milano had 9 tackles to lead the team - -8 of them were solo.  Games like this one are good for him, Peterman and all the rookies to learn from - including the HC. 

Yeah.  And I think the offense played better than the defense today. The defense knew that they were going to run the ball and yet couldn't stop them especially in that last drive in regulation.  If this team needs to make the playoffs, this defense has to play much better against the run.  Also, teams are running against us more and more and hence the reduction in the turnovers too.  This defense needs to come out better and fast or the season may get over next week. 

We do catch a break with the Dolphins having to play the Patriots on MNF and then having a short week to travel up to Orchard Park

15 minutes ago, hemma said:

I think part of the reason we punted is because Indy was only 4 of 16 on 3rd down conversions, so Sean really did have some good odds working for that decision.

We went -2 in turnovers and won, which says great things for our D. 

I think the last time we went -2 in turnovers and won the game was aways back.

The only problem with the decision was the clock. If the Colts had a few first downs, they would have tied the game in overtime and our season would have gone into the tank

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

What a day of football!  So many great games and more to come that it's been tough to pry myself away from the TV to write this.  I listened to the post game show and seen some threads about the game so far with quite a few gripes about the game.  Well, if you are looking for a Bills or McDermott bashing, stop reading now.

1 - Officiating - I want to start here because I think the Refs did an amazing job today.  In a game where visibility is low, players are falling all over the place, and safety is a concern I was happy with how the Refs let the players play and gave some flexibility due to the conditions.  There were hardly any penalties called and the offensive pass interference on the 2 point conversion was a great call.  Even Colts fans can't argue that one.  In any case, in a game where the refs could've thrown flags on almost every play, they did a great job.

2 - Peterman - This kid is a rookie with great potential.  The question is, which is going to beat the other out.  He makes some quick throws in the right places.  He also forgets he's playing in the NFL sometimes.  Between the 5 int half and his concussion today, I think he forgets the talent level around him.  This isn't college where there are slower guys or dominant mismatches.  Everyone can play.  He can't just throw balls up and hope for a positive result and he definitely can't dive head first.  He needs to realize how early in the game it is, who his back-up is, and how hard these guys can and will hit him.  I get having a fiery competitive nature, but he needs to be smarter if he's going to survive in the NFL.

3 - McCoy - I haven't called him out much this season because it's too easy to talk about him.  He's clearly the best talent on this team and boy did it show today.  In a game where guys are slipping all over the place, he's hurdling players, making cuts, and showing burst.  It was only fitting that he scored the game winning touchdown.  It's easy to take these guys for granted sometimes, and I'm guilty of it too.  With that, I just want to call out our MVP again, Mr. Shady McCoy.

4 - God rest ye merry gentlemen
Let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Savior
Was born on Christmas Day
To save us all from Satan's pow'r
When we were gone astray
Oh tidings of comfort and joy

5 - Weather - People are talking about the weather and how it's not a true NFL game in these conditions.  On a day where Elvis' guitar broke and Eric Wood looked miserable on the OT coin toss, I happen to think that this game was the definition of classing NFL football.  This was a game where you knew what was coming and you either beat them or they beat you.  How many classics are in conditions similar to this?  Even extra points were compelling.  I'm sorry it wasn't a 50+ combined score game and passing wasn't on the table for most of the game.  But I love a physical game and I think it's more rewarding for the players too.  So no, I don't want a dome and I'm happy to walk away with a victory here.

6 - Dennison - Two weeks in a row I feel like this guy needs to be fired.  His decision to pass early on 4th and 2 with Webb in at quarterback made absolutely no sense to me.  Yes, Webb ended up our QB at halftime, but at the time, the game's momentum could easily have been shift moreso in our favor.  Shady needed to get the ball more than he did and the Tolbert experiment needs to be over.  I'm not going to waste my time giving Tolbert his own spot on here, because I'm just over it.  But Dennison continues to make calls that make no sense to me and I'm hoping he's gone this offseason.  

7 - Milano - I praised the kid a lot last week, but he lost focus in my opinion today.  I understand that a record was set for rushing attempts this game.  However, on a play-action pass where there isn't anyone left in the backfield, you can't lose coverage.  He left the halfback open in the flats a few times and it hurt us.  I still like what I see from him and hope to see him continue to develop, but he was probably our biggest liability out there today in a game where fundamentals won out.

8 - Punters - How do you not give props to both teams punters on a day like today?  These guys were amazing on a day where footing was a big issue.  The Colts punter had a few beauties and Schmidt did a great job of flipping field position.  These guys had every opportunity to lay and egg without blame and they really stepped up today.   We don't talk about these guys much, but today they earned it.  

9 - McDermott - Like most of you, I was losing my mind when McDermott decided to punt with 4 minutes left in OT as a tie was the most likely outcome, thus ending our season.  We all know how it turned out and winners can say "I told you so."  It took me an hour drive home from my sisters to really think about this while listen in WGR to change my mind.  We've won 3 games this year that we normally lose (Colts, Falcons, Bucs).  McDermott has made the right decisions and got the play he needed where he's earned the benefit of the doubt with me here.  Even in that moment, if it's between trusting my offense or defense, I'm trusting my defense.  We saw what happened when Webb was required to throw before the end of regulation.  Our defense is our stronger unit.  And overall, he put the trust in his players, which I think will go a long way.  Could it have blown up in his face?  Yes.  Did we win and are not 3-1 in games of 7 points or less?  Also yes.  Like it or not, it worked out and we learn from it.  

10 - Going forward - Like every December as a Bills fan, we are mathematically still in it.  The Titans losing today was huge and the Ravens need to lose.  2-1 is possible and I believe TT needs to start if healthy these last 3 weeks.  I like Peterman and want to see more from him, but TT is our better option and I'm not giving up on this season.  I think this game brought this team closer together and I like our chances next week.  Sweeping the Dolphins isn't unrealistic, the Titans have two tough games coming up as do the Ravens.  So let's enjoy the win today and hope to get healthy this week.

*Bonus - I'd like to thank my sister for ruining the suspense of the Vinatieri extra point.  Before the kick, she got a notification on her phone that the game was tied and felt the urge to share with the room.  I was pissed.  To the Pit of Misery with her!!! Dilly Dilly

Great game and great day of football guys.  Now, let's root for the Steelers and a Brady broken face!

Go Bills!!!

I agree with most of this. The McD point I begrudgingly might concur. I am glad it worked out for him in the end. But it sure looked Jauron like for a few minutes.

After watching this game I felt exhausted. It was a really horrible game and it played out almost exactly as that horrendous game in Cleveland in 2007. The Bills lost that game in arguably a worst snow storm and they were out of the playoffs after that.  I remember feeling then that the NFL should have postponed the game or did what they did that time the Bills game was moved to Detroit.  I don't enjoy the novelty of that much snow. it just negated most facets of the game. I was amazed that McCoy was able to do that well in the run game. There was at least 4-6 " of snow on the ground. How did he not blow out a hamstring? 

The pure ineptness of many plays in this game got me thinking to when the last time I saw an NFL game played so badly. It took me a while but it eventually came to me. The strike season with replacement players. Some of those games were embarrassingly terrible. Offenses were God awful just like today.

I think after watching the game that the NFL should postpone games like this for one specific reason. These field turf fields are way worse in snow than the old astro turf fields of the 80s. At least those fields you could get a small plow with a blade to clear heavy snow. Or a plow with a brush?  Not for these fields, I guess you would scrape up those rubber pellets?? I am amazed that NFL or even the players are ok with that much snow on the field. It may be nice for a soft landing but does Benjamin get injured like that without the snow? I'm Surprised there wasn't more injuries like that today.

Good analysis. The one conclusion where I disagree with you is that I have come to the conclusion that Peterman gives this team a better chance to succeed than Taylor. The weather conditions were awful for good qb play but the passes to Benjamin and Jones that were completed were throws that Taylor doesn't make. Taylor has an ingrained reluctance to throw the ball up for grabs to a covered receiver. Those were the type of passes completed in this game under treacherous conditions. 

I'm tired of watching a high school passing attack when Taylor is taking the snaps. While you blame the OC for the design of the offense, I don't. Although the conditions made it difficult to come to a conclusion on how Peterman played there is still more of a semblance of a pro style passing game that the earnest seven year veteran has not demonstrated that he can play.  Some people are afraid to face the reality regarding the qb situation. Not I. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Good analysis. The one conclusion where I disagree with you is that I have come to the conclusion that Peterman gives this team a better chance to succeed than Taylor. The weather conditions were awful for good qb play but the passes to Benjamin and Jones that were completed were throws that Taylor doesn't make. Taylor has an ingrained reluctance to throw the ball up for grabs to a covered receiver. Those were the type of passes completed in this game under treacherous conditions. 

I'm tired of watching a high school passing attack when Taylor is taking the snaps. While you blame the OC for the design of the offense, I don't. Although the conditions made it difficult to come to a conclusion on how Peterman played there is still more of a semblance of a pro style passing game that the earnest seven year veteran has not demonstrated that he can play.  Some people are afraid to face the reality regarding the qb situation. Not I. 

To be clear, I don’t think either are great this season. But I do think Tyrod is our better chance of winning right now. 

Peterman will make just enough rookie mistakes to lose or bring Webb into the game. 

I didn't think anyone would mention the play that you did in 6. Spot on. As for 9. I am having trouble 

with that one. It is hard to believe that McDermott knew what a great throw and catch would be made,

to a backup WR.

The punt was a poor decision, but the old saying is it is better to be lucky than good. It turned out

to be both lucky and good.

I disagree on the 4th & 1 call in OT.  Some may agree with punting and trusting the defense at that point but even if the D stops them (which they did), our offense still has to do something when they get the ball back.  If you go for it on 4th & 1 and don't get it, the only difference is if we stop them after they gain possession, we get pinned back deeper after they punt.  If we go for it and get it, we have great field position.  My point is, by going for it, you need the O to do good for that one play.  If you punt, then you need the punt coverage to do good for one play, your D to do good for at least 3 plays, your ST to do good for another play, and your offense to again do something with the ball.

If I have to choose between all of that and going for it on 4th, I'll take the QB sneak with Joe 'The Spider' Webb everytime.

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I was also glad to see the refs let them play.  It also seemed to me that on several 3rd down plays it seemed tough to tell if the runner got the 1st down but they seemed to give it to them for both teams.

Later I watched the Philly/Rams and Jags/Seahawks games and they were flagfests.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Having watched the likes of Wentz, Goff and Wilson later in the day, you can see how much difference a good QB makes.  

I completely agree about Peterman.  And I think he may be a total moron.  He came into the San Diego game with his coach just having gambled on him big time - McD moved all of his chips in when he decided to bench Tyrod.  Peterman responded by repeatedly heaving the ball up for grabs like it was a Division II spring league game.  At that point I became concerned but thought perhaps it was just jitters and poor line play... but then yesterday he dives head first for a one yard gain in a game the team needs to win to keep its slim playoff hopes alive, knowing that without him they’re down to their third string QB...

He may just be dumb.

Great post Virgil.  I felt very much the same about the 4th and 1.  I was screaming at the TV at the time, although I do see the logic in it, especially in those conditions.  I fully expected a tie after they punted.

I agree that the officiating was great. That was a game that could not have been called too closely.  Great decision to leave the chains on the sidelines and just give both teams the benefit of the doubt.  Great call on the offensives PI.  To let the game be decided on that would have been a travesty.

i did not expect to enjoy is game but I did.  Man on man, old school football.