Tom Savage shakes after headshot, allowed to continue playing

Buddy Hix

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Or he passed a quick sideline evaluation but the league caught what happened shortly after? 

The evaluation is supposed to include watching the tape of what happened. 

16 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

Aren't there supposed to be independent spotters to take these guys out?  What happened??

They are extremely inconsistent in making the right decision on plays like this.

Michigan sent a QB back out a few years ago that didn't know what huddle to return to.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

They are extremely inconsistent in making the right decision on plays like this.

Michigan sent a QB back out a few years ago that didn't know what huddle to return to.

I thought it was weird in the Eagles game after Wentz was sandwiched in the end zone on the TD that was called back that he didnt get taken out, I thought after the next TD that they had shown he was taken into the sideline tent to be evaluated and thought he should have been after the hit  not after he finishes the drive. 

Basically, what is going to have to happen is the NFL will either have to get serious and have players checked and evaluated more often which will kids off the fans when players are being taken out to get checked all the time, or just say that it's a violent game and head injuries are going to happen, if tou want to make the money playing, your going to have to accept the consequences and risk your long term health.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

A few things. 

First, it wasn't a "head shot".

Second, he did go off, was examined by a non team independent neurologist and then allowed to go back in.  He was subsequently reassessed and taken out.

Then that guy needs to be fired, immediately.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?  He was following the sideline e v a l protocol. 

Because if he were at his medical practice, taking care of you or I, he would be sued for malpractice. There is no way in hell that a medical professional would not face legal repercussions for that decision. It was medical malpractice regardless of NFL procedures. 

Just now, Mango said:

Because if he were at his medical practice, taking care of you or I, he would be sued for malpractice. There is no way in hell that a medical professional would not face legal repercussions for that decision. It was medical malpractice regardless of NFL procedures. 

You have no idea what you are talking about.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Not to sound snarky. What am I wrong about and why? 

How is what happened hear not negligence? How did the diagnoses not lead to putting Savage (the patient) at risk of further harm? I am asking genuinely. 

They are not going to yank out a star in a crucial moment of a big game.  He's going to have to be carried out in an iron lung and on a forklift.  We've seen half a dozen concussions ignored in the last few playoff runs. 

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not to sound snarky. What am I wrong about and why? 

How is what happened hear not negligence? How did the diagnoses not lead to putting Savage (the patient) at risk of further harm? I am asking genuinely. 

First, there was nothing "illegal" done, so no "legal repercussions" would apply.

Second, all sideline evaluators are likely given the same accepted protocol for examination of a player immediately after a hit like that.  It's likely a neuro check with a physical exam and questions/following commands.  If the player satisfies the criteria for re-entry, the neurologist tells the coach.  It is certainly likely that Savage was alert, responsive and appropriate during his exam and judged stable for re-entry. 

In order to prove malpractice, you would have to prove that the neurologist deviated completely from the standard of care that has been adapted for this specific scenario (i.e.: Savage was totally out of it when examined)---AND that his disregard for the standard of care and poor judgment led to damages in the patient/player.  None of these are true in this case, so...no malpractice.

You watching this on SportsCenter later in the day and saying "look---his hand is twitching for crissakes!!" doesn't really count as a neuro assessment.

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

First, there was nothing "illegal" done, so no "legal repercussions" would apply.

Second, all sideline evaluators are likely given the same accepted protocol for examination of a player immediately after a hit like that.  It's likely a neuro check with a physical exam and questions/following commands.  If the player satisfies the criteria for re-entry, the neurologist tells the coach.  It is certainly likely that Savage was alert, responsive and appropriate during his exam and judged stable for re-entry. 

In order to prove malpractice, you would have to prove that the neurologist deviated completely from the standard of care that has been adapted for this specific scenario---AND that his disregard for the standard of care and poor judgment led to damages in the patient/player.  None of these are true in this case, so...no malpractice.

You watching this on SportsCenter later in the day and saying "look---his hand is twitching for crissakes!!" doesn't really count as a neuro assessment.

I guess I am saying that while he followed NFL procedure, that does not mean he was following standard medical practice, which are two different things. I am also implying that I do not think that there was a "real" neuro assessment done because anything I read (I know internet is not always true) from neurologists say that during the convulsion he was also unconscious.