Tom Savage shakes after headshot, allowed to continue playing

Buddy Hix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4A21ZW6_f4

This clip is pretty scary in its own right. But to think that Savage was allowed to play the next series is criminally negligent IMO. The ref watched him shake from a headshot off the turf and doesn't have the ability to rule him out? How does the team let him play after seeing that?

I know he only threw a few passes in the next series before the Texans did the right thing but this is ridiculous.

Edited by Buddy Hix

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaM_YhgnPJQ

This clip shows the seizure (or whatever it was) better.

That's him doing weird things because he is knocked silly at that moment; I've seen guys hold up hands and do weird things while flat on their backs out cold.

The official is touching him and looking at his face; the fat that he somehow continued to play after that shows a flaw in the system; he should never have been allowed to remain on the field.

It just shows how often this sort of thing must have happened in past years, with the player remaining in the game.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

My son and I watched that and figured he'd be taken out immediately.  Dumb on their part to wait.

I know the concussion protocol is a work in progress but if the refs don't currently have the ability to rule a player out, they should. Implement training for officials to at least recognize symptoms and make recommendations for evaluations at bare minimum.

If Savage takes another blow after that he could be permanently disabled.

1 minute ago, MarkAF43 said:

Aren't there supposed to be independent spotters to take these guys out?  What happened??

Who knows?

Ref saw it, commentators saw it, everybody watching the broadcast saw it....and yet Savage was put in the next series.

13 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Who knows?

Ref saw it, commentators saw it, everybody watching the broadcast saw it....and yet Savage was put in the next series.

But that's what I don't get. I thought it was supposed to be independent so they weren't protecting the team and focusing on the player. Apparently more BS from the NFL on safety 

• Like (+1) 1

IMHO anybody arguing he wasnt that bad....guy for sure had something go haywire neurologically.   You would think a league that is paying out 700 million in settlements would be a little more careful.    Shazier is in a hospital right now....and nobody knows anything long term with him a week later.   No way Savage should of went back in.   Doesnt pass the eye test

3 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

But that's what I don't get. I thought it was supposed to be independent so they weren't protecting the team and focusing on the player. Apparently more BS from the NFL on safety 

Or he passed a quick sideline evaluation but the league caught what happened shortly after? 

Edited by NoSaint

Neuroscience student - this is what you call a fencing response that's an easy way to localize damage into the brainstem

It's an ominous sign that is received after a concussion. Once the brainstem gets damage, your extensor muscles are contract because of a lack of input into the flexors. 

Worst of all, this is an UNCONSCIOUS response. The league deserves all sorts of negative publicity for this and its discontinued partnership with CTE research - far more than the **** show officiating and (imo) relatively-irrelevant anthem protests fueled by our assclown of a president.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts